Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 98 custom went CRAZY!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-=Wings=- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -=Wings=- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 98 custom went CRAZY!
    Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:05pm

I just got my 98 custom, and i started to pop off a few rounds at home.  After about 50 rounds my gun went CRAZY!  It started shooting like there was no tomarrow.  My Co2 tank froze over.  I didn't know what to do so i kept letting it shoot till the Co2 ran out.  I have a loose O-ring (Well thats waht it looks like) in the chamber ware you cock it back. Its not broke and it's sarounding the spring.  I haven't shot t sence. Plese help!    

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:08pm
That o-ring is the buffer o-ring. It keeps the hammer from slapping into the back plug. That's a good thing; it's supposed to be there.

So it sounds like there wasn't enough pressure to recock the marker fully, or the sear didn't catch. Are you familiar with taking the 98C apart?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

-=Wings=- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -=Wings=- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:10pm

Thanks on the first question.

And no i am not. I am new to paint ball.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:15pm
Hm. Well, I can spout out a lot of possible theories that might have something to do with why your marker "ran away" (that's what it's called when the hammer doesn't catch the sear and the marker spazzes out) but a lot of them require taking your marker apart.

It may have been a fluke. When you get more CO2, try shooting it again and see what happens. If it runs away again, just stop the cocking knob. I've had my old 98C run away once or twice with no apparent reason.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 April 2008 at 9:16pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

-=Wings=- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -=Wings=- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:20pm

Ok, thanks. If i have any more problems ill be sure to contact you.

barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 11:22pm
You might as well take it apart and become very familar with everything inside of there. Your going to have to sooner or later. If you have troubles ask away...some people are nice and help out!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:13pm

I am assuming that since you haven't taken the marker apart that no modifications have been done to it?

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
krazybill1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazybill1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 2:05pm
this is a quote from Tippmanns site;

8 Custom Service Update

8/10/2006

BUFFALO GROVE, IL - August 10, 2006 - It has come to our attention that some 98 Customs and 98 Custom Pros made earlier this year (serial numbers for 98 Custom are 978,401-1,091,000; serial numbers for 98 Custom Pro are 32,601-49,400) may have been manufactured with a sear spring that was not within normal performance standards. A marker with a sub-standard spring may experience pre-mature wear of the rear bolt and sear mechanism causing the bolt to continuously actuate (sounds like your tank is out of air). We believe this performance issue is primarily found in markers with response triggers (RT) and electronic grips (E-Grips), but the issue may arise in markers with a stock trigger.

Tippmann has a long history of manufacturing high quality, reliable products and we truly apologize for any performance issues and inconvenience players may have encountered. Our goal is to repair any marker that may have experienced this situation and get you back on the playing field as soon as possible. Please contact Tippmann's customer service department at 1-800-533-4831 if you are experiencing this problem for appropriate handling of your repair.

KrazyBill
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 2:39pm
Ya when the c02 runs out my 98c starts to do that because it doesn't have enough air to recock itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic