Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neighboring City Police Chief Shot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neighboring City Police Chief Shot
    Posted: 16 April 2008 at 11:58pm
A small town about 20 minutes from my town had their Police Chief shot today.

Basically the Chief went to make a traffic stop, and instead of pulling over, the driver drove to his house and ran inside.  The Chief called for backup, and right when a Sheriff got there, the man ran outside with a rifle and shot the Chief hitting him in the arm and lung, and then shot at the Sheriff, grazing his head.  Both were taken the local Hospital where the Chief underwent surgery and the Sheriff was treated and released.  The Chief is out of surgery but is expected to be in intensive care for a few days.

In the meantime, the police set up a perimeter around the man's house for a few hours only to realize he wasn't there anymore and now of course they are searching for him.  The town only has a population of about 2300, so this is a pretty big deal, all of Detroit's major news stations reported on it.

Heres our local papers website, they have updates about it on the right side.  And here are some pictures.

Departments from all over responded to it.  Coincidentally, tomorrow we are having one of the police officers involved sub for a class of mine, so it should be interesting to see what he has to say.

tl;dr Police chief shot in lung, taken to hospital, shooter at large.
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 12:02am
picture #4 is epic.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Bolt3 Bolt3 wrote:

picture #4 is epic.

I wish they had a picture from one of the helicopters.  The house has a horse shoe driveway and all of the cop cars were pulled right up and around the driveway which surprised me because it was very close to the house.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 12:23am
i wasnt aware a town could have their police chief shot.  yayrah democracy.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 1:31am
It's a good thing higher ranking authorities have more hit points. He can take it.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 8:59am
Our town has a population of about 1100(I'm not missing a zero) and over the last 15 years we've had two murders, a shooting in which nobody was injured, two or three armed standoffs with state police SWAT, a stolen car ring busted with over 100 vehicles, and several particularly horrifying cases of child rape. We also seem to have a lot of suicides and the occasional murder victim from another town dumped in the woods. Four years ago a state police copter chased an armed suicidal kid through my backyard. Those spotlights are bright. Someone else stumbled into a pot field and detonated a shotgun/mousetrap landmine, nobody was injured. If anything really bad is going down, our chief just calls the state cops.

The last murderer came to a particularly nasty end. He stabbed his estranged wife to death with a screwdriver, the went to the state forest to kill himself. He drank Draino then hung himself from a tree at the top of a gorge. The rope broke, he broke both of his legs and back, then vomited up the Draino and died of exposure after several days. The animals had done a number on him when they found him. That's some bad Karma. There has also been some suspicion that people knew he was there. Welcome to small-town America. Bad stuff happens everywhere, small towns just make the news less.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:17am
It's funny because I read about that twice already today (in the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press).
Work was boring last night/this morning.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 10:27am
Well they ended up finding the shooter less than a mile away from his home.  A business owner called the authorities and offered to have his building searched and it turned out the shooter was hiding out in a pickup.

The Chief on the other hand has undergone another surgery to stop internal bleeding.  They haven't been able to remove the bullet.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Our town has a population of about 1100(I'm not
missing a zero) and over the last 15 years we've had two murders, a
shooting in which nobody was injured, two or three armed standoffs with
state police SWAT, a stolen car ring busted with over 100 vehicles, and
several particularly horrifying cases of child rape. We also seem to have a
lot of suicides and the occasional murder victim from another town
dumped in the woods. Four years ago a state police copter chased an
armed suicidal kid through my backyard. Those spotlights are bright.
Someone else stumbled into a pot field and detonated a
shotgun/mousetrap landmine, nobody was injured. If anything really bad
is going down, our chief just calls the state cops. The last murderer came
to a particularly nasty end. He stabbed his estranged wife to death with a
screwdriver, the went to the state forest to kill himself. He drank Draino
then hung himself from a tree at the top of a gorge. The rope broke, he
broke both of his legs and back, then vomited up the Draino and died of
exposure after several days. The animals had done a number on him
when they found him. That's some bad Karma. There has also been some
suspicion that people knew he was there. Welcome to small-town
America. Bad stuff happens everywhere, small towns just make the news
less.

I think it is time to move away.

Your town seems to have the same number of murders per year as my
country.
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

country.

I guess we'll have to export some murders to your Canadian utopia next year.  Where do you live again?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

country.

I guess we'll have to export some murders to your Canadian utopia next year.  Where do you live again?

Apparently in a Canada that doesn't have Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

i wasnt aware a town could have their police chief shot.  yayrah democracy.

I was going to comment on that when i saw it...
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 4:25pm
Wow, Canada must be great or something.
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

It's a good thing higher ranking authorities have more hit points. He can take it.

Cracked me up....^^^

...and as for the murder rate in Canada....lots of murders happen, just nobody notices them because they just think they died of natural causes waiting for free healthcare.
RLTW
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 7:20pm
I doubt Canada has one murder in 7.5 years.

Violent crime still seems disturbingly high for a town of this size, but I'd really have to check against national standards to make that determination. I do know that we're not supposed to drink the water....
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 7:43pm
It says on the Winnipeg website that they have 4.9 murders per 100,000 population per year and a population of 656,000....so that is roughly 29 murders per year.

I chose Winnipeg because they had the highest in Canada...still pretty darn low compared to any city of similar size in the U.S.
RLTW
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

I think it is time to move away. Your town seems to have the same number of murders per year as my country.

Apparently in a Canada that doesn't have Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, or Ottawa...

Ottawa has a high non-political crime rate?

I was kidding though guys (though that is still a rediculously high crime rate)

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 17 April 2008 at 8:33pm
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 8:36pm
LOL.  I love the "Buy this photo" link under all the pictures in the gallery of the story.

Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic