Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Barrels
    Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:14pm
O.k. this may sound like a total rookie question, and despite my knowledge of paintball being above average i guess, I have a question I can not seem to find the answer to. I bought the tippmann A-5 with stealth addition, no complaints with the gun, but i got a new barrel for it, a barrel fully compatible with the tippmann A-5 but, I lack threads on my A-5, and the barrel did not come with any adapter. Does anyone know what part I need or what needs to be done? The name or a link to what I need would be great because I'm staring at this very nice looking 18 inch barrel (I'm a woodsballer) and I cannot seem to find a way to attach it to my gun, any ideas anyone?
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:18pm
1) why 18"
2) what type of threads does it come with
3) http://www.actionvillage.com
4) www.specopspaintball.com

Edited by unvolution - 10 April 2008 at 9:19pm
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:24pm
I like to "snipe" in shortest form of words, and secondly the barrel has standards threads I guess you would call it, same as every other barrel for the A-5 I have looked at. But my gun lacks any form of threads. The Flatline barrel attaches differently. 
d4rkmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4rkmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:30pm
*watches as argument about snipers in paintball starts*
Stopwatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopwatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by d4rkmonkey d4rkmonkey wrote:

Hopefully not again.

Take some pictures of the problem to help people understand the problem. Did your gun come with the flatline? Why did you decide to switch it out, an 18inch barrel wont shoot as far.
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:19pm
Yeah the flatline came with it because it wasthe stealth addition package, and I am aware of the range issue. It's a matter of paint breaking, and just quick alternative. Though After I have had hundreds of rounds shot for testing purposes I have finally got it to reasonable performance. Though it lacks the accuracy I would like. I have heard good reports of the barrel I have purchased and liked what I read. But basically my problem is this. The flatline barrel does not connect to the A-5 via threads. It gets tightened in by 3 screws on the side of the A-5 now my barrel I have purchased along with 99% of the other A-5 barrels out there has threads. So it should be able to screw right into the gun no problem. The problem is the A-5 does not have the threads to screw into. It's just an empty space. What I think is there is a removable piece that basically is an adapter that has threads on it.   On anyones A-5 do they have this piece? I am assuming that it would be removed by unscrewing or loosening the 3 screws furthest to the front of the A-5 just as my A-5 barrel is removed.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:21pm
You need the barrel adapter; part # 02-69.

Schematic link.
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:23pm
Actually yeah thats exactly what I need from the looks of it thanks much... though how would I go about getting said part?
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by d4rkmonkey d4rkmonkey wrote:

Shouldn't happen.  The Marines took care of the last argument.  The Marine Scout/Sniper was pretty convincing.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 9:17am

I'm assuming the problems you were having with the Flatline barrel were ball breaks.  You need to dial down the velocity of the marker somewhere between 260-280fps.  This is the optimal velocity range for the Flatline.  You get in the 300fps range and you definitely will get ball breaks.  The other part is the kind of paint you're using.  The Flatline works best with a good small to medium bore paint.  Marbalizer, Evil and RPS Premiums are good choices.

Wish you came here before you bought that 18" barrel.  You think you got ball breaks in the Flatline?  Whew.  The longer a barrel is, the better the chance you'll get a ball break.  It also ruins your air efficiency.  The longer the barrel is, the more gas you need to use in order for the ball to leave the barrel at the right velocity.  A longer barrel does not equate longer range or increased accuracy.  If at all possible, get a 10"-12" barrel.  That is the optimal length for any paintball marker.

I suggest you read up on the stickied FAQs on the board.  There is a wealth of information here for the taking.

Edited by StormyKnight - 11 April 2008 at 9:18am
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 10:50am
did you gun come with the stock barrel too?  if so you have the adaptoer... its on the back of the stock barrel.  You just need to twist it off ( may take some elbow grease ).  As for 18" it wont give you any extra accuracy over a 12 or 14".  Just get a nice 12" or 14" J&J and you will be set.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Spikee187 Spikee187 wrote:

I like to "snipe" in shortest form of words, and secondly the barrel has standards threads I guess you would call it, same as every other barrel for the A-5 I have looked at. But my gun lacks any form of threads. The Flatline barrel attaches differently. 

I know this is baiting it, but I would like to know what your definition of "to snipe" is.  And how you plan on "sniping" in a paintball setting.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 11:17am
Excerpt from Mack's Official Dictionary of Paintball Terms:

Snipe--The act of cowering in the bushes in mortal fear of being struck by a paintball while wearing external apparel that causes the user to resemble a mutant escapee from a janitorial closet and hoping that some new player walks in front of the "sniper's" barrel* so as to provide at least one elimination for the day.

*Because the uber-leet 48" sniper barrel is to heavy to adjust for point of aim.
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 4:51pm
The word snipe originally came from the bird the snipe. Not sure if thats correct spelling, but regardless it basically was a fast small bird that was hard to hit. So to snipe basically means shooting at a difficult target in my eyes. So someone smart and well knowledge in any form of tactics or military strategy could easily be considered a difficult target in my eyes.          

also for the balls to stop breaking in my flatline barrel i needed to be at around 250 fps which owned for rec play. But anything above that with multiple paints and velocity tweaks proved fruitless in saving the balls.

In addition I just wanted the 18 inch barrel because that with my guns stock will just look badass.
notom66866 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:13pm
Please, please, please... NO more sniper arguments/discussions. Takes up to much time.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:21pm

The word snipe originally came from the bird the snipe.

Correct . . . irrelevant, but correct.  (After all, the word surgeon initially referred to someone who stuck leaches on people to cure them.)

Not sure if thats correct spelling, . . .

It is the correct spelling.

. . . but regardless it basically was a fast small bird that was hard to hit. So to snipe basically means shooting at a difficult target in my eyes.

Wouldn't it hurt to shoot a difficult target in your eyes? Seriously, that would be fine if you were just talking (metaphorically speaking) to yourself; however, you aren't.  You're communicating with a wide range of people who have certain preconceived and widely accepted notions about the meanings of certain terms/words. As an example:

Green range laurel retail implausible snickerdoodle brigadier flatulence.

That phrase may mean something to me if I choose to create my own definitions for each word, but it is useless for communicating with others.  My (somewhat humorously made) point is that in paintball the term "sniper" has certain connotations and given those connotations, it is widely accepted that snipers do not exist in the realm of this sport.  I could change my personal definition of the term "chick-magnet," but it wouldn't really make me one.

So someone smart and well knowledge in any form of tactics or military strategy could easily be considered a difficult target in my eyes. 

This is an invalid argument.  You are essentially saying that "sniper" status would be determined by the nature of the target as opposed to the skills/capabilities of the so called sniper.  Thus, if such an individual stayed in the same bush for an entire game and shot two people he/she would be a sniper when taking out the experienced ex-military player but would not be when shooting the first time noob.        

also for the balls to stop breaking in my flatline barrel i needed to be at around 250 fps which owned for rec play.

You should be able to get better velocity than that out of the F/L barrel.  This sounds like it could be a paint or environmental related problem.

But anything above that with multiple paints and velocity tweaks proved fruitless in saving the balls.

The multiple paints makes a paint related problem less likely.  What was the weather like?

In addition I just wanted the 18 inch barrel because that with my guns stock will just look badass.

If you like it, then by all means play with it.  You may run into some negatives with a barrel that long, but there are advantages as well.  Regarding the post which mentioned that long barrels are less air efficient:  If you are using a stock firing mechanism and velocity adjuster, then air efficiency is not actually an issue for you.  The way the Tippmann velocity adjuster works does not affect velocity by using less air.  So, as long as you haven't added an RVA or heavier main spring, you aren't using additional air.

Edited by Mack - 11 April 2008 at 5:25pm
Spikee187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikee187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:31pm
Haha way to depthy. People worry about this sniper word way to much when it comes to paintball.    It's a widely used word and everyone understands the concept so why worry people lets be real. It's a waste of time to argue over something so simple. If the word sniper bothers people than the other words used to describe other paintball positions could also be an insult or annoy some people. Just stating an opinion lol
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 5:56pm

Haha way to depthy.

I may be wrong, but I tend to translate replies such as the one above as meaning something along the lines of "I didn't bother to read it or I didn't understand it; but it doesn't matter because I'm still right."

People worry about this sniper word way to much when it comes to paintball.

Maybe.  Some people can see/hear something that is factually incorrect and ignore it, some have to correct it.  No one that doesn't want to participate in/observe such a discussion has to.

It's a widely used word and everyone understands the concept . . .

Exactly.  The problem is that the only way to apply the term to paintball is to change the concept from a highly skilled and trained marksman that eliminates vital targets at extreme ranges to some random guy that hides in a bush and shoots other random guys.

so why worry people lets be real. It's a waste of time to argue over something so simple.

That is your opinion; other may not consider it a waste of time to argue the point.  (If it is such a waste of time, why am I not the only one posting in this discussion?)

If the word sniper bothers people than the other words used to describe other paintball positions could also be an insult or annoy some people.

Such as?  Only a couple of other military-related positions that I have seen used as a paintball position references come to mind.
  • Heavy gunner--not a term I have a problem with in paintball.
    • An individual with a Flatline marker can place suppressive fire on opposition at longer ranges in a manner similar to what an M60/M240 gunner does.
  • Grenadier--not fully applicable; mainly due to the technology being employed.
    • A grenadier with a bandoleer of paint grenades is actually filling a role very similar to what the original 17th century grenadiers did.
    • The term becomes less applicable when applied to players with various types of launchers, but only because of the technology issue mentioned earlier.
If by "other paintball positions" you are referring to the Spec Op positions, I don't have a problem with them either; probably because the SO guys were smart enough to mainly choose names with neutral connotations.  For instance if some player on the field states "I'm a Hammer," it doesn't bother me.  I just quietly note to myself that the individual has just publicly declared themselves to be a tool and get back to whatever I was doing.

Just stating an opinion lol

Ditto.  I am merely stating and supporting an opinion as well.

Edited by Mack - 11 April 2008 at 6:40pm
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 6:13pm

So someone smart and well knowledge in any form of tactics or military strategy could easily be considered a difficult target in my eyes.

A Sniper takes out high profile targets of opportunity (officers, light armored vehicles, etc.) from long range and cover/concealment.  Since there is no paintball gun equivalent to a sniper rifle, there are no snipers in paintball.  There are plenty of trained military personnel both past and present that partake of the forums here that have exhaustedly pointed this fact out in far greater detail than I have here.  If you wish to argue the point, the same said ex and present military members will be happy to point out your ignorance.        &n bsp; 

Quote also for the balls to stop breaking in my flatline barrel i needed to be at around 250 fps which owned for rec play. But anything above that with multiple paints and velocity tweaks proved fruitless in saving the balls.

Which is why you need to buy better paint.  But you have your mind made up.  Sell the Flatline barrel and get something out of it.

Quote In addition I just wanted the 18 inch barrel because that with my guns stock will just look badass.

The only thing a longer barrel does is impress newbs.  Everyone else will just shake their heads knowingly.  You will see side-long glances and smirks from those that understand.  You will most likely get comments like you're receiving here. 

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 6:14pm
Damn, how did I not see this sooner?

I might post on the subject later, but right now I have a wedding to go to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic