Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ninjaballin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Problems
    Posted: 05 April 2008 at 7:50pm
Hey so I already posted this on another forum but they weren't too helpful...Haha I'm kidding they were great but I was wondering if maybe someone at the official Tippmann forums might be able to help out more.

Ok its a long story so here goes.
I got a Tippmann A-5 w/E-Grip some time in December of 2006, and right off the bat the gun was chopping paint like crazy.  The first time I took it paintballing was a few months after I bought it (in good weather, not cold or hot) and it was chopping practically every other shot.  I tried multiple barrels, including the stock one.  The same paint I was using (RPS Premiums, good stuff) was working fine for all of my friends, who had Custom 98's.  So afterwards I called Tippmann and sent it in to them, and they sent it back a few weeks later.  When I took the "fixed" gun out paintballing a little while afterwards, it had the exact same problems as it had before.  I was using a different kind of paint, which, again, caused my friends no problems but chopped like crazy in my A-5.  And then I realized that the velocity screw was missing (**edited** ?) and that the gun was leaking air.  So by then I was super pissed and so I called Tippmann and they told me to send the gun in again.  So I did, and they eventually sent me a different gun, with a different serial number.  I took that gun out paintballing and guess what, it was chopping.  I was in total disbelief but I managed to convince myself that it was just because of some cold weather, though it wasn't really that cold.  So finally I cleaned it out and took it paintballing about a week ago, and it was still chopping.  Might I stress the point that this was a different gun than I started out with.

I've changed all the variables, I've tried to keep everything stock, and I've followed the manual on everything I do.  I don't know where the paint was chopping, but I do know that some paint always ends up in the cyclone, and of course its in the barrel.  But I don't think the cyclone is chopping because I haven't seen any shells in the cyclone.  My question here is, what should I do?  I'm hesitant to call Tippmann again because I know what they'll tell me (oh just go ahead and send it in...) and then I know what the end result will be (still non-functioning gun).  I think I want to try and fix the gun myself, but the problem is that I don't know what needs fixing, and it's frustratingly discouraging to have a gun that seems inside and out to be in perfect shape, but that keeps chopping paint.  A year and a half of owning a Tippmann and I still haven't been able to get it to work...any suggestions?

And just to stress this...the different gun still had the same problems...
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 8:00pm
What is your marker's velocity setting?  What kind of paint are you using?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 8:05pm
Sorry I didn't mention velocity in the first post.  I was shooting no higher than 280-290, no lower than 230-240, pretty standard stuff.

And I was using various different kinds of paint, from cheap to medium type, I don't even remember half the weird names the paint had, I think I remember like stinger, diablo, and then of course RPS Premiums.  But again, no one else had issues with their paint any of the times we went.
gardy90 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filter Dodge, 4/14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 1:12am
cyclone not feeding right, causing paint to be chopped...???
"FIRST THERE"

a-5
16" J&J ceramic
polished internals
X7 low profile hopper
costom painted 20 oz tank
mysticmak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 11:26am

I have had exactly the smae issue, just tried my new A5 on a range in the uk, first outing and I think I would have been better with a brush to apply the paint, the range were using BT-4's and they were quite frankly outstripping the A5! Curious to see where this goes really.

notom66866 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:22pm

Were you useing c02 or hpa? Do you own your own tank or a rental? Are you using a remote?

mysticmak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 1:05pm
In my case it was CO2, using their tank, not a remote.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by notom66866 notom66866 wrote:

Were you useing c02 or hpa? Do you own your
own tank or a rental? Are you using a remote?

HPA, I used both my own tank and a rental HPA tank--its not the problem.
And no I was not using a remote.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 5:14pm

What do you have your e-grip settings at? Did you change them from the factory default?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 5:21pm

What do you have your e-grip settings at? Did
you change them from the factory default?

Semi-auto, and no I didn't change anything from the factory defaults. I pretty much kept everything on the gun as stock as possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:17pm
Fresh battery?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:56pm

Fresh battery?

Lol, I checked and that isn't the problem either (I wish it was though).

EDIT: I was wondering if the cyclone was the problem but I wasn't sure how I
would check. And when the gun is breaking paint, there don't seem to be
shells in the cyclone, just paint (which leads me to believe that it isn't the
cyclone). Does anyone know of any parts which may be causing issues?
Keep in mind that I unfortunately cannot readily shoot paintballs, as I live in
a city, so I really just have to look at parts and analyze whether or not there
is a problem; I can't exactly test the gun out until the next time I go
paintballing.

Edited by ninjaballin - 06 April 2008 at 9:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 1:09am

If you have air in your tank try removing your cyclone and fire. Watch the front bolt as you fire through the space now not occupied by the cyclone. MAke sure the bolt has a full range of motion. Do test, tell us the results. WATCH YOUR FINGERS PLEASE!!! 

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:03am
One other thing to try, if you have a friend with a mechanical A5, is borrowing his grip frame and test firing your marker.  If the marker works okay in this configuration, then you know the problem is related to the e-grip.
mysticmak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:29am
Just a mention, my marker uses the standard trigger assembly, no RT and no E Grip, and I have found partial paintball shell residue in the Cyclone. Looked for the modifications/upgrades A on the base plate and clear ratchet mech too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 1:44am

If you have air in your tank try removing your
cyclone and fire. Watch the front bolt as you fire through the space now not
occupied by the cyclone. MAke sure the bolt has a full range of motion. Do
test, tell us the results. WATCH YOUR FINGERS
PLEASE!!! 

The air pressure in my tank is down to like 600psi...is this enough air for the
test to still be accurate?

Also, what do you guys think about me calling up Tippmann again? Have I
just had a series of unlucky coincidences or what?

Edited by ninjaballin - 08 April 2008 at 1:45am
mysticmak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:51am

If you have air in your tank try removing your cyclone and fire. Watch the front bolt as you fire through the space now not occupied by the cyclone. MAke sure the bolt has a full range of motion. Do test, tell us the results. WATCH YOUR FINGERS PLEASE!!! 

This I think would be the best test, could it be done with paintballs in the cyclone and the hopper removed, so that you could see not only the chambered balls, but the balls to be fed also? This would at least allow you to see both chamber and cyclone to see which one is potentially causing the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 12:10pm
Sorry bud, but I don't know about hpa psi, I suggest pming one of the mods, they most likely all use hpa. And as for using paintballs in the test, you could lay a plastic garbage can on a table an fire into it make sure there is something in the can to cushion the balls or they fly back out. Make sure you have your mask on!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjaballin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:39pm

Sorry bud, but I don't know about hpa psi, I
suggest
pming one of the mods, they most likely all use hpa. And as for using
paintballs in the test, you could lay a plastic garbage can on a table an
fire
into it make sure there is something in the can to cushion the balls or
they
fly back out. Make sure you have your mask
on!!!

So are you suggesting that, with the cyclone off, I manually feed ball by
ball
into the gun by hand?
BTW thanks for the idea of shooting in a can, I once tried shooting at a
wooden board once and ended up spraying paint all around the house...

EDIT: And again, what do you guys think about calling Tippmann once
more?
Worth it, or should I ditch them based on past experiences?

Edited by ninjaballin - 08 April 2008 at 10:48pm
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:30pm
I say just take the hopper off, and either you, or a friend, watch from the top as the cyclone feeds a single ball to be fired, and after that ball is fired, place another ball in the cyclone.

See where the problem lies with that, if there's no problems, go up to maybe 10 balls, see if there's a problem then.

It should trace it down to whether it's a bolt/chamber chop problem, or a cyclone problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic