Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ghillie Suits and Spraypaint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghillie Suits and Spraypaint
    Posted: 29 March 2008 at 1:04am
I know ghillie suits don't really apply to paintball, but I would like to ask a question about them anyways :) Hopefully someone out there knows a thing-or-two about this...

My question is: Can I camouflage a ghillie suit (using burlap/jute) with only spray paint, instead of dye?

It would be a lot faster and cheaper. I know it's going to smell for the first day or so, but I live next to a forest so the smell won't last too long if I roll around in the forest a bunch.

Am I getting my hopes up or could this work? I'm gonna try something like this with a camo net, but I would still like to hear what you guys have to say.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 7:04am
The main ting you want to do when you make a ghillie is
  1. make it fire retardant
  2. hope you don't get overshot
  3. make sure you don't move, ever
Spray paint will not help. The best idea is to find someone who actually knows how to make them and get them to help you.

Every homemade ghillie i've ever seen looks like a big mop.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 1:08pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:46pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:48pm
Couldn't you use the upholstery paint to paint it. Just a thought. Regular spray paint wouldn't tolerate the bending so much.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:58pm
I've already read that thread before, but thanks for the advice. Like I said in my original post I am making a camouflage net using spray paint and I tested it yesterday and it worked pretty good. The net just looks like a patch of ivory and I could definitely get an ambush shot before anyone even knew what hit them. That is if I used it in paintball...

My net was already colored brown and green, but the colors where way too dark for my area so spray paint fixed that. If I were to start out with plain tan burlap or jute I might have to be a little more detailed with the spraying but I still think it could work with a little know-how on what colors to use.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 12:32am
Spraypaint will work, just not for too long...
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 3:15am
I don't know what would degrade the spray paint. Rain didn't do nothing to it yet so... I can't think of anything else. 

Edited by aceatc - 30 March 2008 at 3:16am
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 9:30am

Spraypaint is designed to paint things that dont move or flex quickly and easily. If you go running through the woods the spraypaint will wear off much quicker than a dye.

Like I said, it will stick, just not for more than a couple games.

aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 4:49pm
Oh I see.

I have only worked intensively with yarn as a medium. Burlap looks like it would bend a whole lot, probably even as a camo net. Jute would bend less so it would only last longer in the sceme of things.

The camo net that I have spray painted does not bend. That's hard to explain because I did not design the net, but I see that spraypaint and a ghillie suit would take regular work to function correctly.

Let's just say the games I play are fairly slow and lately we have just been stalking and ambushing one another.  Very dense forested area.

Edited by aceatc - 30 March 2008 at 4:52pm
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 5:38pm
Doesn't sound like its very much fun...
captpainntball7 View Drop Down
strike 1- flaming/crudity 3/30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captpainntball7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 6:08pm
After perusing a few of these threads I have noticed "Snake6" is involved in a good majority of threads and almost never has anything positive to contribute. And despite being new to this forum I have come to a conclusion...Snake6-you are a flaming pile of douchee
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Doesn't sound like its very much fun...

Usually we play something like capture the flag. Designate an object to obtain and then everyone kinda spreads out in the forest and moves closer to the "flag". Since we are all ghillied'up it becomes difficult to see someone else, but this makes it very challenging to grab the flag and not be seen by someone who could have eyes on the area. Once you spot someone the adrenalin starts to kick in like crazy, because you have to fire and somehow not give away your position to others "roaming around".

We either play that game or we all just travel through the forest trying to find each other.

Fun stuff
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:11pm
Using spray-paint on something cloth-ish that you want to move in is a bad idea. It'll make it stiff.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:13pm
i guess if you didn't use that much, it might be ok, but too much on clothes wouldn't necessarily be a great idea. 

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 9:47pm
I still think you're gonna look like a mop, until you post some pictures.

If you want to make something viable that will work as a ghillie. Go to a fabric store and pick up some fabric dye. It's extremely cheap, I use it for my anodizing.

There are instructions on the bottle for how to use it as a paint. It's probably even cheaper than spray paint, and will last MUCH longer.

Edited by The Guy - 30 March 2008 at 9:49pm
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:20am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Using spray-paint on something cloth-ish that you want to move in is a bad idea. It'll make it stiff.

It might turn stiff on some large pieces of burlap, but on strands of jute or a camo net the surface area is too small so there isn't a lot of bending. I also wouldn't use that on clothes either, you're just asking for it there.

Fabric dye is the popular choice because of it's durability. The point of this thread was to discuss a faster/easier way to camouflage a ghillie or blind or what-have-you.

I've made some yarn camo and that works fine, but you need to be very good with your colors. The only thing faster than yarn that I was thinking of trying would be to grab like 3 string hammocks or other nets and spray paint them different colors then layer them over each other so there isn't much space between the holes. 

Maybe I'll post up some pics of my spray paint improvised camouflage net.

Edited by aceatc - 31 March 2008 at 1:22am
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 5:21am
Get yourself some coveralls, coat yourself with glue, throw a pile of jute burlap and dead leaves on the ground.

Then roll in it. It will be far more effective than a multi-colored mop.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Get yourself some coveralls, coat yourself with glue, throw a pile of jute burlap and dead leaves on the ground.

For less weight, skip the coveralls part.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:01pm

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

For less weight, skip the coveralls part.

lol, id pay to watch that.

PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic