Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98 Platinum Series Gas Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bioject View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bioject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98 Platinum Series Gas Leak
    Posted: 21 March 2008 at 5:42am

I bought a Tippmann 98 Platinum series last week from actionvillage.com and I took it apart to install the flatline barrel.  (this was before I realized I needed the new platinum version of the flatline that doesn't require disassembly of the marker)  Anyway once I realized my mistake, I put the gun back together again and ever since it's been getting gas leaks whenever I hook a compressed air tank up to it. 

During the disassembly process, the gas line fell off and I had to put it back.  The weird thing about the gas line is that it just sort of sits there.  There is nothing to screw it into or an o-ring to seal it.  I've already called Tippmann once about this and they say this is normal and that it is supposed to leak into the mechanism that fires the paintballs.  Thing is, it's not only leaking into the mechanism, but out of the gun itself.  I've taken the marker into a paintball shop and had three different people who worked there look at it and they were just as stumped as I.  They also told me that I should have never opened it.  I would agree! 

Anybody familiar with this problem?  Apparently this gas line feature is supposed to offer conveniance, but so far it's only been a big wopping hassle.

Sangreti View Drop Down
1 strike, offensive post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sangreti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 3:59pm
well this is an odd and awakward problem  well id saits bad disign but but it halfway under water to see exactly where it is leaking from it its directly from the discharge tube then id just replace it
~square peg~

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:37pm
On the 98 Platinum, the gas line threads into a large square nut that sits under the valve inside the gun halves. Make sure you didnt lose this nut, or leave it out when you reassambled the gun.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

On the 98 Platinum, the gas line threads into a large square nut that sits under the valve inside the gun halves. Make sure you didnt lose this nut, or leave it out when you reassambled the gun.

True, but if it does have the nut in there, then maybe the gas line is not screwed in far enough to seal with the valve body.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
-DUO- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -DUO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 4:46pm
I have the same problem with my 98 platinum.  It fired fine the first test.  But when I went to put in a star fire bolt and reassembled the marker, it started to leak.  I still cant figure out what the problem is.  It leaks from the valve.  I tried tightening the tube but it did no good.  and im affraid If I tighten it too much I might damage it. 
WTH tippmann!? I never had this problem with regular custom 98's  and when I go to get a 98 platinum, it leaks.
Instructions are useless.  How do you fix this thing???
The old design seems to work better  IMO.
the right reciever half comes off no problems.  but the left half was a pain in the butt.  Its like it was never meant to be taken off.

Edited by -DUO- - 28 June 2008 at 4:49pm
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 6:09pm

If my left half you mean the front the yeah, I guess they think it would come off less often then the back half.

Does the nut that the hose screw into just sit loosly in the marker? I've been wondering about the new valve design for a little while now, and haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Is the valve no longer threaded at all where the hose plugs in? I get that the nut is supposed to keep the hose inside the valve with the o-ring stopping it from leaking, but I can't figure out if that nut is just loose how on earth it stays put.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
-DUO- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -DUO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 5:00pm
When I pulled off the front left half it seemed to be lock tighted down.  It didn't come off without some force.  The valve where the hose meets has no threading so the hose just sits there.  I havent noticed if there was supposed to be an Oring that sits between the tube and the valve.  The large nut simply rests inside the marker but fits into a slot so it cant move around.  The design is sound but oh well maybe I just have a bad valve.  It doesn't appear to be leaking from the end of the hose that connects to the valve.  It has to be something inside the valve that isnt settling properly.  But I've never taken one apart before.   Would tippmann replace the valve for free maybe?  I've had the custom platinum for about a week now. 

Edited by -DUO- - 29 June 2008 at 5:02pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 4:16pm
This what Tippmann has to said about the Issue;

There is a possibility that an alignment issue could occur if the customer attempts to tighten the gas-line with the receiver bolts loose.

Consumers should make sure they reassemble a 98PS as follows.

1. Make sure the valve & powertube assembly is correctly positioned in the right hand side of the receiver.

2. Secure gas-line into valve finger tight only. This will properly position the valve & gas-line.

3. Reinstall the left hand receiver halves.

4. Tighten all of the receiver bolts.

5. Tighten the gas-line in the marker using a wrench
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 7:16pm
EE to the rescue!  I hope you don't mind, but I am going to add that info to the Paintball 101 thread the next time I update it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic