Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M4 style handguard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
notom66866 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M4 style handguard
    Posted: 18 March 2008 at 4:35pm
I'm trying to find an M4 style handguard with rails, for my a5 so I can mount a handle further down the marker. However the only handguards I've seen have reviews that say the set screws slip and the handguard rotates. Does anyone know of a good handguard that wiill accept a handle?
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 5:09pm

Opsgear has one.  I am not sure if that is the one you read a review on.  Just in case here is the link.  I also am putting a link for a full body shroud with rails in the same areas that You may or may not like.

M4

http://www.opsgear.com/Paintball-Barrel-M4-Picatinny-Hand-Gu ard-7-Inch-p/og-m4-shroud-7in.htm

M203

http://www.opsgear.com/Tippmann-A5-Shroud-M203-p/og-shroud-m 203-a5.htm

Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 5:22pm
Actually the opsgear handguard is the one I'm trying to avoid, every reveiw mentions that the screws come loose and it rotates, but thank you for the links.
dustin85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustin85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 6:30pm
Correct..AVOID that Opsgear handguard...If you put a  vertical grip on it you will be able to spin the darn thing, no matter how tight you get the set screws...problem is, if you get the screws tight enough, you can just end up unscrewing you barrel.

The only satisfactory solution I have found involves UTG's rails, and a bit of modification to your gun. It is relatively cheap, but you need to be mildly comfortable with a dremmel and some JB weld. If you are interested, let me know. I am working on a walk-through, but it is not done. I would be glad to help. There are some pictures in my thread as well.

Edited by dustin85 - 20 March 2008 at 1:18am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 6:43pm
Thanks but where are your pictures?
dustin85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustin85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 11:24pm
Okay, I am a computer/internet IDIOT, that being said, I do not know how to make a link to my thread (help anyone?). I will just repost the applicable pics until I finish the walkthrough. I will try to get a few more detailed ones if you decide this is the route you want to go.

I got this idea from Swamprat on A5OG, and made a few changes to fit my preferences.

Parts Used (from Del-ton Inc. del-ton.com)

M-4 Barrel Nut (#30)
M-4 Delta Ring Assembly (Leaf Spring, Snap Ring, Delta Ring/#'s 31-33)
Front Handguard Cap-Round (#60) May need to be bored out to fit OD of your barrel, I used a dremmel.
Front Sight Assembly for a Bull Barrel (.96" OD, had it bored to fit 1"OD) (not necessary, you can use any of the fake sights for paintball guns floating around out there)

-JB-Welded the front handguard cap to my front sight, make certain it is properly aligned.
-JB-Welded Barrel Nut to A5 Barrel Adapter. I simply masked off my marker around the adapter, placed the Barrel Bolt around it (centered) filled it with JB-Weld, Duct Taped it in place, and let it dry. Ensure you have roughed up the outside of the barrel adapter AND the inside threads of the barrel bolt. Also be certain it is properly aligned (teeth should allow opening at the 12 O'clock position to align with the hole for the M-4's gas tube cut in the delta ring assembly)
-Install the Delta Ring assembly.
-Screw in your barrel.
-Install handguards to give you an idea where to place the front cap/front sight assembly.
-Install front cap/sight assembly.
-Tighten down handguards

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

*EDIT* I did NOT use the M-4 Leaf Spring. It is EXTREMELY tight and not necessary in a paintball gun. I substituted it with the spring from RAP 4's METS M4. Much easier and practical, albeit stupidly over-priced.

I am also adding a gas tube as we speak, just to help line things up/aesthetics. I realize now that many of the alignment issues I had during this mod would have been solved by having the gas tube available and in place as one of the first steps. It will need to be trimmed slightly, as it will have nowhere to go unlike the upper receiver on the real M4, but should help keep every thing in place. Del-ton has them really cheap.

Edited by dustin85 - 18 March 2008 at 11:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 12:23am
Thanks but I think that convertionis a little out of my league right now, do you think you could e-mail me the steps so I can have them for later my e-mail address is notom66866@yahoo.com
dustin85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustin85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:46pm
Sure. Not a problem. I should have the walkthrough finished up next week, I will send it out to you. In the mean-time, I found these. I have had no personal experience with any of these, but they appear to be better options than Opsgear.

http://www.extremesportsandhobbies.com/handguard.html

http://rap4.com/paintball/os/barrel-systems-barrel-packages- c-22_220_319.html

Unfortunately, it would appear as if most, if not all, of them use set screws in some capacity. Ask around and check reviews. I just know for a fact that the Opsgear set-up is a disappointment waiting to happen. That being said, I believe they have a new 'free-floating' set-up out now. I know absolutely nothing more than that about it, but perhaps they addressed their previous issues. I have had no other problems with any other Opsgear product, so hopefully that is the case.

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Edited for my dumb grammar!

Edit #2: Found this
http://www.opsgear.com/Tippmann-A5-RIS-Floating-Hand-Guard-p /mi-ris-fl-hg-a5.htm

It is a Metadyne product, not an Opsgear original. I have heard nothing but high praise for Metadyne, although they can be a bit pricey. No set screws, uses 'my' idea of attaching directly to the barrel adapter. Looks like a good buy.

I also figured out this whole linking thing...LOL
FYI, here is the thread I was talking about before.

http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=169 293&PN=3

Edited by dustin85 - 20 March 2008 at 1:29am

d4rkmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4rkmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 1:59am
any idea how/if you can do something similar with a 98?
dustin85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustin85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by d4rkmonkey d4rkmonkey wrote:

any idea how/if you can do something similar with a 98?

I do not claim to be familiar with the 98, but if it has a portion of the barrel adapter protruding from the receiver halves, then I do not see why not.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic