Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
2 [22.22%]
1 [11.11%]
4 [44.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Accessories
    Posted: 15 March 2008 at 6:23pm

So I'm thinking about heavily accessorizing my AR-15. We're talking a new upper, handgrips, trigger gaurds, and this rail system.

The question I'm posing to you guys is what I should go with first, a limited amount of money means that I'll have to go with one thing at a time, one of the either uppers (I am eventually getting both), the rail system shown above or a couple of the smaller less than $100 items.

Once we clued in on the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, all that matters is how you wanna go out, on your feet or your knees?
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 6:31pm
Ok besides Zombie Defence and E Peen boost what do you use your AR For?
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 6:41pm
You don't need an all new upper. Unless you want a flat top and your hand guard doesn't come off.

Removable hand guard on mine ftw !!!
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:08pm

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Ok besides Zombie Defence and E Peen boost what do you use your AR For?

Mostly target practice, possibly hunting, and recreational sporting i.e friendly competitions. And zombie defence is just a euphemism for whatever the hell might happen tomorrow. .357 I'm looking for a heavy hitting round, hence the upper change. That and I'm working my way around making multiple AR's one to leave with my father when I move out and two for me, one target/play, and one hunting/zombie defence

Edited by X-51 - 15 March 2008 at 7:10pm
Once we clued in on the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, all that matters is how you wanna go out, on your feet or your knees?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 8:14pm
Funny, I am looking to trick out mine  I like the rail system. If I could get that, I would add
Bushmaster 16" heavy carbine upper=$565
Eotech Model 552 HDS sight=$479
6 Pos stock=106.95
Command arms flashlight grip=$69

Due to my limited budget of Being a Dad, I'm getting my upper first.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 8:35pm
Get a flat top in 6.5 Grendel. Wolf is/will be making ammunition and the ballistics look very promising for deer sized game/long range. What type of setup do you have now?
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 10:38pm
pretty standard set-up now, a .223 carbine length
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 10:54pm
Well... I personally dislike the rail system in the image you've posted. But that's just me.

Can't really give advice, as I'm not quite sure what you're wanting...

However, if you're planning on using the AR for hunting, and you're not talking about small game... then a new upper is probably what you should be saving for. I personally wouldn't choose 6.5grendal or 50beowulf simply for the fact of availability and cost of ammunition... but that's just me.
If you're fortunate enough to be setup for reloading... also look into the availability of components and load data.
If you're considering those two calibers, there's also the .458 SOCOM and 6.8spc for larger caliber choices. If you're a Bushmaster guy, they have their own .450 caliber now as well.

Not sure which 'multiple small accessories' you're looking into.
Rail system will be worthless to you unless you plan on adding a multitude of gadgetry... lights, laser, foregrip, bipod, etc. Not saying there's anything wrong with any of that. Just that a rail system without having anything to mount on it... just seems so wasteful.
I have a small light on my 16" AR, and a bipod on my 20" 22LR AR... but didn't go with the quad-rail, as I only needed a bottom one.

Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ill feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 11:57pm
40mm Grenade launcher...

because you never know...

The T-Virus may take over tomorrow....

think about it....

T-Virus...
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 4:16am
Full auto trigger sear, or silencer.
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 10:31am

Originally posted by ShortyBP ShortyBP wrote:

Well... I personally dislike the rail system in the image you've posted. But that's just me.

From the looks of it it'll will be the most comfortable as parts of it on the bottom and side arn't railed therefore I should have somewhere to place my hands.

Can't really give advice, as I'm not quite sure what you're wanting...

However, if you're planning on using the AR for hunting, and you're not talking about small game... then a new upper is probably what you should be saving for. I personally wouldn't choose 6.5grendal or 50beowulf simply for the fact of availability and cost of ammunition... but that's just me.
If you're fortunate enough to be setup for reloading... also look into the availability of components and load data.
If you're considering those two calibers, there's also the .458 SOCOM and 6.8spc for larger caliber choices. If you're a Bushmaster guy, they have their own .450 caliber now as well.

I thought about this last night and other than as E.E said epeen boost both rounds have no real purpose. The make of the gun is a bushmaster and I have researched the .450 round I might make a change in that direction.

Not sure which 'multiple small accessories' you're looking into.
Rail system will be worthless to you unless you plan on adding a multitude of gadgetry... lights, laser, foregrip, bipod, etc. Not saying there's anything wrong with any of that. Just that a rail system without having anything to mount on it... just seems so wasteful.
I have a small light on my 16" AR, and a bipod on my 20" 22LR AR... but didn't go with the quad-rail, as I only needed a bottom one.

Hence multiple smaller accessories.

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 4:09pm
FLAME DROP LOL
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 8:44pm
After a few more hours of deliberation throughout the day I've decided not to go with the rail system shown above. It's way too much money to start with if I were on my way to Iraq I would probebly go with that but for target shooting, hunting and friendly competition a simpler route to go would be a quad rail. At 100 dollars for the rail I'll have money left over to get the bi-pod and vertical foregrip right away. Then I can save for an eotech, or close enough to one, and afterwards an upper chambered in now what might be .450 or .308 both much more practical than the 6.5 or .50. Your insight is appriciated and if anyone else has something to say on the subject feel free.

Edited by X-51 - 16 March 2008 at 8:45pm
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by X-51 X-51 wrote:

and afterwards an upper chambered in now what might be .450 or .308 both much more practical than the 6.5 or .50.
Just FYI...can't use your existing lower for a .308 upper. You'll need to save up for an AR10 if you want .308.
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Funny, I am looking to trick out mine I like the rail system. If I could get that, I would addBushmaster 16" heavy carbine upper=$565Eotech Model 552 HDS sight=$4796 Pos stock=106.95Command arms flashlight grip=$69Due to my limited budget of Being a Dad, I'm getting my upper first.

I would post this question over at AR15.com The guys there know everything about the AR, and the best place to get them. FWIW the prices you posted seem high.    
Anyhow the first thing I brought for my Stag Model 2 were mags. Get as many as you can before the next ban.    Second get an EoTech. Mines awesome, and I paid $350 for it NIB.   Anything else after that is personal taste/preference. IMHO too many people over do it with their ARs. they add many things for the cool factor, but in reality they never use it.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Get a flat top in 6.5 Grendel. 

I'm with him. I just started learning about 6.5 the other day, and it looks to be an impressive round.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:26am
Both are good. 6.5Grendel is Ok. So is the 6.8 SPC. The .458 Socom and the .50 Beuwolf is definately E-peen territory.

I'd go .50 Beuwolf, and when I'd got the cash pick up a Guncrafter Industries .50 1911. Why? Why the hell not?

There isn't very much seperating the .458 and the .50B, Similar bullet weights, similar speeds. Similar capacity.

The upper for a .50 Beowolf is cheaper then a .458 Socom upper.

The 6.5Grendel isn't that much of a change from a 5.56mm. Especially at most ranges a "civilian" could be expected to shoot. The 5.56mm is a nice up close round. You'd only really need a 6.5 to reach out and touch someone. Helpful when the T-virus strikes, useless at the range.

You'd hardly be able to tell the difference between the 5.56mm and the 6.5. But the .50 Beowolf? While It isn't a .50BMG, it is definately going to feel different from the 5.56mm. I've heard it compared to a 20 guage shotgun.

That rail system is nice, for what you have. But how hard would it be to get a flat top upper? I like the carry handle, but I prefer the flat top. The cheek weld is wrong with a sight ontop of the handle. It is a handy stop gap, but I'd pay for the flat top.

Go for the .50. More E Peen. And handy against those Tvirus victims.

KBK
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:35am
Carbine, I joined AR15.com along time ago.  way too many "experts". I also belong to another AR15 discussion board on Yahoo. I get better information from that group because no one is trying to sell me something. It is not a question I posted, just what I would do to my Olympic Arms AR.  Now those are the prices of Bushmaster from the online catalog. yes there are cheaper uppers and I have seen them in action on other peoples rifles. With out going into great detail, they had issues. Most of them were poor fitting, loose and sloppy on top of the lower receiver. 6.5 and 6.8 seem to be the choice for ARs now, but I have not had a chance to beat on one to see what it can and can't do.  I'm sticking with .223/5.56 because of the abundance of that caliber I have.  You may want to check out Olympic Arms, DPMS, les Baer, Rock River for additional pricing on the accesories for the AR. and there is always Cheaper than Dirt for the cheap, poorly manufactured Chinese components.  The beauty of the AR is that yo can do so much of the upgrading yourself.  FYI, if you  decide to go with a .308 AR variant, there isn't a standard magazine for them. Bushmaster uses old M14 mags and DPMS uses FN/FAL mags, or vice versa, and that would require buying a new rifle with a .308 lower. If it's .308 you want, go get a Springfield M1A/M14. It's better.
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 7:43pm
I'm on ar-15 as well and as far as the .308 goes damnit all why in the world would the do that to me. New battle plan then I'm still thinking. Still for what it's worth thanks for the help. Also to take this thread in another direction if anyone wants to post pics feel free.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 1:56am
I just got a relatively colossal chunk of back pay that was owed to me. As soon as I figure out my pension buyback and do my taxes (should get a refund) I may be in the market for an EOTech.  Carbinekid- what make is yours, and where did you get it?

I also need to buy a good chest rig...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic