Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98 E-Grip on Alpha Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98 E-Grip on Alpha Black
    Posted: 12 March 2008 at 9:05pm
I am not familar with the Tippmann 98 E-grip and was wondering if it could
be installed on the Alpha Black. I read on other forums that it is possible,
but I want to get other peoples thoughts before I go out and buy one.
Thanks.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 10:52pm
I guess anything is possible.  Just depends on how much work you really want to do.  The 98 Cyclone feeder was modded to run on the Alpha Black.  Do you want to do the work or wait for the actual part to arrive this Summer?
Kingtiger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Now with 100% more Fail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 10:59pm
Like stormy said anything is possible, but i highly doubt the e-grip will fit.
Steam: Kingtiger125
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 11:52pm

i know the alpha allready has an option to have a e-grip. if you got an alpha and a old 98 e-grip see if it works (or anyone that can conferm this) and give us a shout.

Edit: just look'd at the manual...the only thing that it might not work is the motors drive shaft might be too short?

but who knows.

Edited by kurieitaa - 13 March 2008 at 12:01am
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 6:46am
Ok, thanks. I guess if it won't work I will just have to wait for summer. My
other question is the end plug where the stock attaches can be removed. I
know that the 98 has a similar piece. Could stocks from a 98 be used on
the Alpha Black?
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:00am
The Alpha has a different trigger arangement than a standard 98, so it would probably not be possible to just drop in an e-grip upgrade without some serious modification.

The Alpha uses a standard 98 end cap though, with the ACT capability. So any 98 stock should fit on the Alpha.
gfdeputy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfdeputy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 4:10pm
Ok  so are you guys saying if I bought the Alpha black it can be upgraded to the E-trigger when it comes out or is it going to be a special model only?
98 custom
14" carbon fiber barrel
response trigger
expansion chamber
revolution III w/ z board loader
We went to hell & put the fire OUT
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 4:30pm

They are suppose to bring a special E-grip only for the Alpha prolly in June. You will have less option than the traditional E-grip that you see on  the A5 and X7. The auto-response will not be there.

It wil be probably also less expensive. They will also release a cyclone that fits properly with the Alpha. It is relatively easy to fit the actual 98c cyclone to the Alpha, but they will bring a new one for the Alpha only.

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 9:19pm
From what I was told by Tippmann the 98 E grip wires are too short for the AB and the Armature Pin is also too short. So it wont work without modification.
ciera1932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ciera1932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:21pm
I have put in the 98 e-board into an Alpha Black... The Alpha's won't have n e-board available til atleast June... If you going to to do, need to to do a few things to it first...

1-need to make a longer trip pin, the original is too short, but that is easy, if you can find a piece of wire thick enough. Cut it so it ends just under the sear.Should be just a little play between the sear and trip pin, not very much,just enough so it isn't tight against it.(sorry i don't know the exact measurement for you, but should be fairly easy to do)
2-Using dremel tool or file, round out the top edge of sear, so it isn't a sharp edge.
3-On the back catch lip, where sear hits bolt, file it down with either a dremel or file, but not to much, just want a bit of doward slope (or really upward, down if bolt is held in your hand bottum up).
4-The sear is held in place by one pin and have 2 pins to limit it's movement. remove the bottom pin, so the sear will go higher in position, easier than shaping the sear to sit higher.

Might take a bit of fine tuning, but I did it and never had a problem once completed. Took me about 2 hours to work it out, with these instructions, should be alot easier for you to do. Won't have to modify the e-board or original trip pin, and it uses the bolt from a Tippmann 98 incase anything gets screwed up. One minor problem, make sure you use a good brand of 9 volt, the cheap ones don't have enough power, but that has always been the problem with all the tippmann e-boards.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by ciera1932 ciera1932 wrote:

2-Using dremel tool or file, round out the top edge of sear, so it isn't a sharp edge.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. You should NEVER round off the sear, thats what causes double-firing...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 12:36am

The E-Grip can be used on the AB with some modification.

Hell, I'm putting one on an Automag.

thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 12:48am
Waiting is prolly the best bet.  You dont want to spend the money and time just to have it not work then have to spend the money for the alpha egrip.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 7:31am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

The E-Grip can be used on the AB with some modification.

Hell, I'm putting one on an Automag.

Ooh.  I'd be interested in seeing the finished product there. 

Matrixled25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrixled25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 10:45am
I herd that an e-trigger or E-grip upgrade will not be available for an AB Basic, has this changed?
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:44am
Well when your open your Alpha Black basic, the cut out and all the emplacement for the e-grip are there. Don't worry they will sell some e-grip alone without the need to buy an Alpha Black. If your E-grip on your Alpha broke what you will do to get another? Buy another Alpha E-Grip?.....Hehhh don't think so my friend!
pigtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pigtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:33pm
According to a letter I received from Tippmann's VP of Sales and Marketing "The Alpha Black can not be upgraded electronically and must be purchased as a semi auto or an electronic version."

Though I would be surprised if the Alpha Black egrip circuit board and components won't be available as replacement parts that could be installed.

Bill Mills
Technical Editor,WARPIG.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 7:16am
Well Ill be, its Bill. Welcome to the forum!

Comparing the cutouts in the Alpha grip and the 98, its the same. The only difference is a longer solenoid pin, and longer wires to the trigger switch. Tippmann probably just doesnt want to bother selling it seperately, as inevitably someone would get mixed up and try to install it in a 98 or vice-versa.

I would imagine buying a 98 e-grip, a solenoid pin for the Alpha, and 5 minutes with a soldering iron would make it work.
dartain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dartain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 12:35pm
speaking about circuit boards does anyone know where i can find a schematics of egrip circuit boards for 98's or a5's
dartain
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 11:19pm
^^^ Please don't bump old threads with unrelated questions.  The proper approach is to start your own topic in the appropriate area of the forum.  (This would probably have fit best in upgrades and customizing but as its own post.)

Two suggestions in regards to your questions:
  • Try a general internet search with the appropriate keywords
  • Go to the customer service section of the Tippmann website and see if any of the manuals that are stored in PDF form have what you need

Edited by Mack - 12 September 2010 at 11:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic