Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need some advice on the Alpha Black

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some advice on the Alpha Black
    Posted: 09 March 2008 at 3:01pm
Hi guys,

I am a newcomer in the paintball world and with the review that I've read so far the Alpha Black seems to be a really solid choice price wise and it seems to have a more than decent stock gun barrel which I think is pretty rare with Tippmann usually.

I am really tempted to buy the ABT but I have a few questions that maybe some of you guys who bought it could answer for me

- Is it possible to put a generic M16/M4 picatinny rail mount on top and underneath the handguard shroud? I want to mod it SOPMOD stylin (vertical grip/bipod and eventually laser or flashlight fixed on the top railing), and does an RIS for a Custom98C would fit instead of the tactical handguard shroud? Because if it fits, it would look way nicer than the actual M16 HG shroud.

- I would like to eventually put a red dot. It did not see any hole on the carrying handle for a picatinny scope mount, do you think guys that it can simply be fixed by simply drilling a whole in the carrying handle so that the screw of the pica scope mount can go through?

- How accurate the stock 11 barrel is? I read a review of a guy who purchased one and said that the barrel was so accurate that he was able to group shots within 1 feet at 70 yards...That seems BS to me. Anyone who bought it can testify on that?

- Semi auto or E-grip does it make a huge difference in woodball? I heard also the E-grip was the kind of thing that is breaking left and right. I heard also that some of the best guy out there are still using semi-auto gun.

Thanks for your answers guys!
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 8:43pm
I just got my Alpha Black a couple of days ago, here it goes.....

-It isn't possible to mount rails on the stock handguard, but since the
marker takes barrels threaded for the 98, it would be possible to mount a
barrel with a shroud that already has rails on it.

-Yes, it would be possible to drill a hole in the carrying handle to mount
the rail.

-The stock barrel is fairly accurate. I haven't been able to truly test it,
besides firing a few quick shots in my backyard, but I would reccomend
getting a different barrel. A currently have a SP's 16in Linear barrel on
mine, and IMO, it looks pretty good.

-My friend has a RT, which is similar to the e-grip, and I love it. VERY
fast and VERY loud, and most of all VERY intimidating. I don't know what
type of e-grip will be released for the Alpha Black, but I can't wait for it
to come out. I know that I will definately be picking one up.

I love my Alpha Black and I'm sure that you would to. It is a very solid
marker, and I am beginning to like it more than my 98.
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 10:08pm

Thanks very much for those infos Brian.

I will be getting an M16 RIS 98c handguard shroud then.Probably from OPSGEAR. 

I was looking too at a 16 inches barrel replacement. What would be the best price/ratio wise, you guys would recommend for a really good accurate M16/M4 barrel threaded for the 98? There is one M16/M4 barrel on OPSGEAR aat 29.99$ instead of 79.99$ What do you guys think of that deal?

I specify accurate because I will not be getting an E-grip any time soon and I will stick to the semi-auto, so every shot should count as much as possible.

Many thanks for your answers

Edited by JagdAlex - 09 March 2008 at 10:13pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 10:12pm
Lapco Bigshot or J&J Ceramic cant beat them at that price range.
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 10:14pm

Do they have M16 style barrel finish? Like the one you can find on OPSGEAR?

Do you have any links for me Elvis for those 2 barrels that youa re tlaking about?

Thank you

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 11:12pm
They do not have the M-4 Birdcage end but with the accuracy for the buck you'll be looking downrange not at your muzzle.

And Google es tu Amigo!
JagdAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagdAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 11:22pm

Ya I found them with my dear friend google!

But my last question would be, if I am using the M4 RIS handguard shroud for the 98c and a J&J. Since it is screwing on the barrell and the barrell is not an Opsgear one and also it is not an entirely flat barrell like the OPSGEAR M4/M16 replica, would it still be secured properly to the barrel?

Thank you

Tony Hottmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Hottmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:15pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:39pm
For the extra $20 it costs, 100% go for the egrip.

That is a fantastic deal for an egripped marker. If you don't see use now, you will in the future. And if you ever sell it, it will increase the value a lot.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:55pm

Originally posted by JagdAlex JagdAlex wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a newcomer in the paintball world and with the review that I've read so far the Alpha Black seems to be a really solid choice price wise and it seems to have a more than decent stock gun barrel which I think is pretty rare with Tippmann usually.

I am really tempted to buy the ABT but I have a few questions that maybe some of you guys who bought it could answer for me

and does an RIS for a Custom98C would fit instead of the tactical handguard shroud? Because if it fits, it would look way nicer than the actual M16 HG shroud.

I dont believe so. The 98's RIS screws in like a barrel (or clamps on the barrel, depending on what kind) and I believe the AB's is attached to the reciever, I could be wrong though.

- I would like to eventually put a red dot. It did not see any hole on the carrying handle for a picatinny scope mount, do you think guys that it can simply be fixed by simply drilling a whole in the carrying handle so that the screw of the pica scope mount can go through?

Someone else has already done this.

- How accurate the stock 11 barrel is? I read a review of a guy who purchased one and said that the barrel was so accurate that he was able to group shots within 1 feet at 70 yards...That seems BS to me. Anyone who bought it can testify on that?

70 feet? Doesn't sound unreasonable. 70 Yards? 70 Yards=210 feet. Doubtful if the paint would break at that distance. Aftermarket barrels are always better.

- Semi auto or E-grip does it make a huge difference in woodball? I heard also the E-grip was the kind of thing that is breaking left and right. I heard also that some of the best guy out there are still using semi-auto gun.

Its up to you, IMO. Hell, there are a ton of expierenced players that play pump! E-Grips are more reliable than that.

Thanks for your answers guys!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic