Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 custom response trigger and e-grip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
biggbull66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggbull66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 custom response trigger and e-grip?
    Posted: 01 March 2008 at 10:34pm
Which is better to have?
motopsycho650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopsycho650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 10:22am
Response Trigger = less expensive
-adjustable rate of fire
-does not waste air
-requires some kind of electric hopper in my opinion
-heavy trigger pull = semi-auto
-light trigger pull = simulated full-auto
-more dis-assembly required for installation.

E-Trigger = more expensive (although price has dropped recently)
-Semi-auto, 3-ball burst, full-auto, and turbo-mode (not sure what this is exactly)
-Faster,  non-adjustable rate of fire
-requires a 9-volt battery (must dis-assemble gun to replace)
-MUST have electric hopper or cyclone feed to keep up

You make the call, it's your custom...

Edited by motopsycho650 - 02 March 2008 at 10:24am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 11:04am
^^^ Have to disagree with some comments above referring to the E-trigger.

• ". . . non-adjustable rate of fire
    • Incorrect; the rof cap is a user programmable feature on the E-trigger.
  • ". . . 9-volt battery (must dis-assemble gun to replace)
    • Incorrect; the only thing that must be removed to replace the battery is one of the grip halves.  (Making battery replacement for the E-trigger similar to the process for many other markers.
Gee-Whiz info on firing modes:
  • Semi-auto = exactly what it sounds like
  • 3 Shot Ramping = fires semi for first three trigger pulls, then (if rate of trigger pull is > 5/second) the consecutive pulls will fire 3 round bursts.
  • 3 Shot Full Auto = First three pulls are semi, then trigger can be held for full auto fire.
  • Auto Response = Fires one shot for each pull of the trigger and one shot for each release of the trigger unless trigger is held down for more than 0.25 seconds.  (In which case it only fires on the pull of the trigger.)
  • Turbo = Fires semi until rate of trigger pull exceeds more than 4 pulls/second in which case it goes into Auto Response mode.  (Reverts to semi upon ceasing fire and process must be repeated to kick Turbo mode in again.)
biggbull66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggbull66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 12:45pm
Which one will chop less balls? I just want something that is quicker then stock but dont have to worry about balls breaking. For the r/t i guess you have to play with it to get it right. What about the e-grip? You have to time it just right, is it a pain? I have been playing for 10 years but never upgraded anything. I have 2 tippmann 98 custom's. Just wondering which of the two is a better investment.
Dreizehn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreizehn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 1:15pm

I have a horde of paintball guns.  Two of which are almost identical, but with a few variations.

First is a Tippmann A-5 with a Cyclone Ball Feed and a Response Trigger.

Second is a BT-4 ERC with a Rip Clip and E-grip.

Both have Apex barrels.

I chop about one or two balls a day when I use either gun.  By day, I mean about six to eight hours of playing with around 1000 rounds.

However, I've found the response trigger eats up more CO2.  Now, I'm not sure what the guy who said the response takes less air was thinking, but I'm positive mine goes through more air for essentially the same set up.  Of course, I don't know too much about how the thing works, but from what I know/have been told, the RT uses airpressure to push the trigger forward after it is pulled.  Thus, it uses air to fire the round and to power the trigger.  That means more air usage.

Secondly, the A-5 doesn't take cold weather as well.  A few weeks ago when it snowed here in the ATL, some of my friends and I played.  The A-5 literally froze.  The air dispersed from the trigger froze due to the weather.  This in turn caused the trigger to function about as well as you can imagine.  My ERC and its e-grip preformed flawlessly.

Basically, there isn't too much difference.  The price is close, and for one you have to use more co2, and for the other you have to buy batteries.  And in case you play regularly in freezing conditions, you're not going to ahve any issue with either trigger.

I'd probably say go with the Response Trigger if you know a little about how to tweak things.  It's not as user friendly as the e-grip, to me at least.  However, if you're as mechanically impaired as I was when I first got it, I would get the e-grip.

Good luck with your purchase.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic