Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom w/ R/T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom w/ R/T
    Posted: 01 March 2008 at 7:31pm
I just bought the 98 Custom w/ Respone Trigger. Should I use Co2 or Compressed Air? I was told that the trigger works better when it gets cold with the Co2, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm still trying to get this trigger to work and I know that it takes time to get the right adjustments. Any help is much appreciated.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 3:32am
The fast rate of fire will give the CO2 less time to expand into a gas.

Eventually you may have problems pulling liquid into your valve, or freezing your gaslines. You could experience shootdown. Cold will accelerate this process. Heat causes the CO2 to expand unreliably.

An expansion chamber, remote line, or anti-syphon tube will help fight this. Don't use an anti-syphon tube with a remote line.

None of these problems show up in HPA. Its just more of an expense. IF you have the money, I recommend dropping some on a 68ci steel HPA tank.
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 8:35am
I'm real new to this and I have to ask the stupid question, what is HPA. Is this compressed air? I was told that I would need the expansion chamber if I was to use compressed air.
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by shagan shagan wrote:

I'm real new to this and I have to ask the stupid question, what is HPA. Is this compressed air? I was told that I would need the expansion chamber if I was to use compressed air.

yes HPA (high Pressure Air) is compressed air, you dont need an expansion chamber for it at all, co2 you need one tho.

edit: allso the remote line will work as in a expansion chamber too.

Edited by kurieitaa - 03 March 2008 at 2:09pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 7:51pm
Where are you getting your information from?

Sounds like either someone who's pretending to be knowledgeable, or a proshop, thats trying to take you for a ride.
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 1:30pm
I'm getting my info from a guy at the store that I bought it from. He told me that you have to use Co2 with the RT and that it works better when the line gets cold. "you can see the frost build up on the outside of the gun". His exact words were that you cannot use Compressed air with the RT. Correct me if I'm wrong here, if I buy the HPA tank for the RT, I should be set. I won't have to buy any other items to use the HPA. If so, what do you suggest without breaking the bank. Thanks for the help.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 4:07pm
That store sounds like its just trying to rip you off. I suggest finding another retailer.
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 4:10pm
It's a small mom and pop shop. Close by to get my Co2 filled, but thats about it. It looks like I will be buying the HPA tank. I'm assuming that should be it on the air front. Let me know if I need anything else with the HPA. Thanks.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 5:31am
You can just screw te new tank into your ASA with no modifications. Make sure you have a location nearby that you can refill it.
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 3:22pm
I bought the HPA tank and it seems to be working ok. I'm having a tough time getting the RT to fire multiple shots. It would work with the Co2 then stop after it froze up. I have made the adjustments but it doesn't seem to be working yet with the Compressed Air. Any suggestions?
Red Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 9:21pm

I had the same problem as well, I tried switching over to HPA for better consistency and no freeze ups. My marker would let a little burst go here and there but not consistent strings like when it was running on co2. I eventually just gave up and switched back to co2 and decided to save my HPA bottle for an electro when I decide on one.

You could look into larger diameter hoses for your RT, some players have switched over and have reported better results with their RT's afterwards.

You can find the parts at www.tippmannparts.com

Red Eye

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 7:11am

Response Triggers seem to favor C02 over HPA as far as performance goes.  Why?  I don't exactly know, but most people that have RTs report better performance with C02.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Response Triggers seem to favor C02 over HPA as far as performance goes.  Why?  I don't exactly know, but most people that have RTs report better performance with C02.

QFT.

CO2 is better for the R/T during warmer weather.  CO2 can deliver at pressures up to 1800 psi while HPA is delivered at a steady pressure of about 850 psi.  The downside is that when it gets colder, CO2 delivery pressure drops dramatically to the point where it can become useless for any paintball application.

That said, you still have some options for improving R/T performance on HPA.
  • What velocity are you shooting at.  If you are exceeding 300 fps then you are using air to achieve unsafe velocities when that air that could be better used to operate the R/T.
  • Try firing short bursts.  This makes for more efficient/better operation with both propellants.
    • With CO2 it allows time for evaporation into gaseous form.
    • With HPA it allows for regs with slower recharge rates.
  • Increase pressure on the mainspring.  This will open the valve farther which allows more air to be released with each shot.  This will reduce shots per tank however.
    • An after-market spring kit can do this.  (Use the heavy spring)
    • An RVA can do this.
    • Shimming the mainspring/drive pin can do this.  (Putting a spacer behind it.)
shagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2008 at 6:55pm
Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic