Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMILSIM and military = faux pas?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:


Take you head out of the dictionary and look at reality.


And then in the next post:

Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

So now pull up the def on "Sniper"


1. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.


2. To shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed position.



I'm caling troll on this one.
Back to Top
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Crusher of Dreams

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4250
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:35am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

So now pull up the def on "Sniper"


1. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.


2. To shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed position.



am·bush      /ˈæmbʊ& #643;/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[am-boosh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Also, am·bush·ment. 1. an act or instance of lying concealed so as to attack by surprise: The highwaymen waited in ambush near the road.
2. an act or instance of attacking unexpectedly from a concealed position.
3. the concealed position itself: They fired from ambush.
4. those who attack suddenly and unexpectedly from a concealed position.
–verb (used with object) 5. to attack from ambush
Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:36am
 
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

So now pull up the def on "Sniper"

1. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.
Most people find it easier to not be shot if they are hidden.

2. To shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed position.
As Snake pointed out. Everybody who plays paint ball does this. Are we all snipers?



Back to Top
kungura View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 February 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 69
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:36am

ok seriously, why wouldn't the guy in the picture i posted be a 'sniper'? he's got the gun, the outfit, and the mentality (maybe) of a marksman.


come on peeps, what are we debating here?  lets keep it light, keep it bright, keep it ***



<we dont use that word as an adgetive here>

Edited by Evil Elvis - 24 February 2008 at 12:40am
--A5--
APE Rampage
Hammerhead Barrel
Red Hot Power Tube
Orange Howitser Bolt
EoTech 512
Vortex Mod-Lightening Rod-QEPH-Squishy Paddles
Bad Habitz Spring
Rufus Dawg D.T
P.E HPA 88ci-4500PSI
Back to Top
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Outranked by guitarguy?

Joined: 11 September 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11227
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:38am
Originally posted by kungura kungura wrote:

ok seriously, why wouldn't the guy in the picture i posted be a 'sniper'? he's got the gun, the outfit, and the mentality (maybe) of a marksman.

come on peeps, what are we debating here?  lets keep it light, keep it bright, keep it gay!


We are debating whether the tactics that the troll posted are the tactics of a sniper or any light infantryman...
Back to Top
BaldBird View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Camper

Joined: 22 February 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 38
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:38am
I didn't once say because I say it is. You all have given the argument that it isn't sniping because it's ambushing, considering that you've given me the definition for an ambush, and in short it says to use concealment to fire upon your enemy, thus being the same basic definition as a sniper then how can you say you or I is wrong or right? You've given no arguments to factually rule anything out.
"One Shot, One Kill, may it be a speedball player lost in the woods"
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30745
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

An ambush and a snipe sound awfully close to be one. Pretty close to synonomous, so if you can effectively ambush somebody in paintball, then you may effectively snipe somebody in paintball. Or you must explain distinct differences, distance just doesn't hold up.

Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:40am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

An ambush and a snipe sound awfully close to be one. Pretty close to synonomous, so if you can effectively ambush somebody in paintball, then you may effectively snipe somebody in paintball. Or you must explain distinct differences, distance just doesn't hold up.


The validity of your whole point rests upon the first point being true. This is nto the case because ambushing is not the same as being a sniper. therefore, your entire point was wrong.

Mathematically put:

X = 5

Therefore, X times 4 cannot equal ten.

Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:41am
I see no flaws in his logic. You guys should just concede that snipers exist. 
Back to Top
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Crusher of Dreams

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4250
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:42am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

I didn't once say because I say it is. You all have given the argument that it isn't sniping because it's ambushing, considering that you've given me the definition for an ambush, and in short it says to use concealment to fire upon your enemy, thus being the same basic definition as a sniper then how can you say you or I is wrong or right? You've given no arguments to factually rule anything out.


Because 'Sniper' Is an occupation a Job a Military Specialty. something that doesnt apply to Paintball like saying Paintball Astronaut or Paintball Pararescue men.

Ambush is a Tactic. Wich is something you do. Something that can be easily implemented into the game.

Back to Top
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Outranked by guitarguy?

Joined: 11 September 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11227
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:43am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

I didn't once say because I say it is. You all have given the argument that it isn't sniping because it's ambushing, considering that you've given me the definition for an ambush, and in short it says to use concealment to fire upon your enemy, thus being the same basic definition as a sniper then how can you say you or I is wrong or right? You've given no arguments to factually rule anything out.

Want me to break it down barney style?

FACT: Scenario Paintball is a Combat Simulation Game.
FACT: Most Military tactics translate into the game
FACT: The Military definition of sniper does not
FACT: It is not tactically advisable to try to engage the enemy by your self without support
FACT: You cannot engage the enemy from beyond the effective range of return fire
FACT: There are no snipers in paintball
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:44am
Originally posted by kungura kungura wrote:

ok seriously, why wouldn't the guy in the picture i posted be a 'sniper'? he's got the gun, the outfit, and the mentality (maybe) of a marksman.


come on peeps, what are we debating here?  lets keep it light, keep it bright, keep it ***



<we dont use that word as an adgetive here>


We are not debating the existance of marksman, we are debating the existance of snipers. Being a marksman is possible in paintball but you are NOT one unless you have the training and complete controll and knowhow of how your marker will perform in every situation.

I gurantee, that nobody fulfills this role, who could be bothered?

Well the end is soon, IBTL.
Back to Top
BaldBird View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Camper

Joined: 22 February 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 38
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:45am

Firing from a concealed position as to not give up your position constitutes sniping. At this point the real world "USMC" "LAPD" don't play into this argument, what they do is utilize the tools training they have, they use a generic term to label a person, thus instilling in you the fact that what is a sniper is what they say it is. When in realty they use the term to describe what the person does. Shoot from a concealed position effectively, SNIPE, SNIPER. The term came before the person labeled with it.

"One Shot, One Kill, may it be a speedball player lost in the woods"
Back to Top
Ruska View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Rhymes with ... er, Tuska!!

Joined: 16 January 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 576
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:46am
You are such a closed minded idiot I'm honestly debating closing this and
deeming you a troll....holy crap.
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:47am
IBTL

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 24 February 2008 at 12:49am
Back to Top
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Crusher of Dreams

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4250
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:50am
Originally posted by BaldBird BaldBird wrote:

Firing from a concealed position as to not give up your position constitutes sniping. At this point the real world "USMC" "LAPD" don't play into this argument, what they do is utilize the tools training they have, they use a generic term to label a person, thus instilling in you the fact that what is a sniper is what they say it is. When in realty they use the term to describe what the person does. Shoot from a concealed position effectively, SNIPE, SNIPER. The term came before the person labeled with it.



Again Ambushing. Only way that his cover was maintained is if he engaged one person that was walking by himself and that just means that he ambushed one person and stayed in the Ambush site. Something that I have done in Training many times. But since you have hunkered down in your view where to get a rise out of people or because you cant fathom the posibility that you could be wrong then I can not see any other way any rational person would come to still hold on to such flawed concept.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.