FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clay Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clay Shooting
    Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:45pm

So who does it? I've done it a grand total of about 4 times, and each time, I really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about doing it a bit more seriously one of these days, but first I need a better shotgun.

Currently, I have a Savage single barrel, break-action 20g, but needless to say, that's not very good for doubles.  I figure my ideal gun would be a nice, simplistic side-by-side or over/under, probably 12g.

So I was just wondering, what are the preferred shotguns amongst the clay pigeon shooters here? Please include make, model, action and gauge.

Also, feel free to post what events you compete in, and if you like bragging, through out some final standings!

Edit: In before "Awww, skeet skeet skeet!"

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 February 2008 at 4:46pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Edit: In before "Awww, skeet skeet skeet!"

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:54pm

Just trying to get it out of the system.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:55pm
I shoot an old Revelation 20 gauge pump most of the time, but it currently is being fixed.  That old gun is the best sporting clay gun I've ever used.  We also have several semi-automatics, but no double barrels.

Personally, I prefer to use a pump.
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:58pm

Thats me shooting a friends Mossberg, as you can tell its an O/U, in the 12 gauge flavor. I really liked that one, it was nice and light and was a nice little piece.

Depending on what you want to spend you can get an O/U for as little as 300 and as much as 15k+.

Everyone I know prefers the O/U to the side by side, I have an 870 but if you are looking to do some competition shooting I'd go for the O/U, because who doesn't feel like a badass when pulling smoking shells from an over under.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:03pm

I went shooting just yesterday with my friend, his dad and their neighborhood friend. The neighborhood friend brought along a gorgeous Browning O/U 12g. It was an amazing gun, and very comfortable to shoot. Thing was, I've been using my friend's Benelli pump for a few boxes of clays, so the first few shots with the O/U were awkward. I kept trying to pump the stupid thing. Heh.

I've seen VERY few side-by-sides used. I guess there's some distortion of aiming or something. I was just thinking (hoping) that Mossberg might make an O/U. They are decent guns, and affordable too.

Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:12pm
Everyone I talked to likes o/u better. Whenever I do it, people are usually shooting 20 gauge, because they say the kick's lighter so they can shoot longer. Personally, I have yet to shoot a gun that hurt my arm enough to make me put it down, so I like 12 gauge just because the shells are dirt cheap and are always on sale at any outdoor place because they are so popular.
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Dye Playa Dye Playa wrote:

Everyone I talked to likes o/u better. Whenever I do it, people are usually shooting 20 gauge, because they say the kick's lighter so they can shoot longer.

Those people are weak, they're just bird loads not slugs or anything.

If you want a cheap O/U look at the Stoeger Condor, it MSRPs for 399 but you can find it new for less.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:31pm
I usually shoot a Remington 870 similar to this one, though newer and nicer. http://astorarms.ca/images/non-restricted/remington%20870%20 %2012ga%20aaaaa.jpg

I have my eye on a beauty like this though, and might purchase it over spring break, or by summer at least.

I'm trying to decide between an A/L or the Pump though. But the A/L definitely has the edge right now, as that's what I shoot with.
http://mossberg.com/images/products/930/85330.jpg
http://mossberg.com/images/products/SA/500PERSUADERCRUISER/5 0577.jpg
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:37pm
I've done it before.

I don't know much about shotguns, but I did it with a pump and a semi and the pump was far more fun.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 6:10pm
You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. 12 or 20 guage. I personally own one and love it. Never had a problem whatsoever, and you could almost say that the 870 is the 98 custom of shotguns sorta. I've also heard the Mossberg 500 is quite nice as well, very similar to the 870.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 6:19pm

If I get one anytime soon, it's probably gonna be an over/under.

I really like those Stoeger Condors.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 6:29pm
ive gone a few times.  first time was with a single shot break 410.  only dusted a few clays, but cracked or shot hole through a lot.  now i use an old pump 12ga.  no idea what make or model, but its sorta works i guess. 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 6:35pm

I'm a shotgun sniper.

sometimes I would miss the first shot, shooting singles, and I'd often be able to pick off the clay with the follow up shot after the clay flew a bit. At the shooting range, we only are allowed 2 shells in the gun at once. Needless to say, I wasn't able to dust any at that distance, but I still blew a few apart. I was proud of myself.

Edited by DeTrevni - 17 February 2008 at 6:36pm

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 7:19pm
I don't know about break shotguns... you can't fire them enough to do skeet shooting at a fast pace.

xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 7:25pm
I shot on the high school trap team, until they decided they didn't like my grades and told me I couldn't shoot unless I brought them up so I quit because I knew there was no way I could bring up my grades by the end of the season. Anyways, I have shot state competitions and various competitions around the state, before I quit I averaged 21 or greater out of 25. The gun I shot with was just a simple pump gun for field shooting that we picked up for 150 bucks from wal-mart. Just remember that you don't need an expensive gun for trap, shooting it is expensive enough you don't need to throw a 1000 dollar gun into the picture. Either way, I suggest an over under of which ever brand you prefer, just make sure you have the stock fitted to you by a professional or someone who really know what they are doing. This is very important because if you have your gun to low you will be trying to use the proper form and will miss just about every clay. On the other hand, if it is to high it will be very uncomfortable to shoot and you will be unable to pull down good numbers. There are a few methods that we used on the trap team to fit guns, I personally used a kit I bought at a sporting good store, it had various pieces of foam at different sizes and you put the size that fit best in, lot of kids on the team used a tape type stuff called mole skin, not what it was intended for but it works. If you have any question DeTrevni feel free to pm me.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 7:53pm
I was thinking, that if I got a cheap-o shotgun, I could mod the stock for an adjustable recoil pad and a cheek-rest riser.

X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 8:25pm

Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. 12 or 20 guage. I personally own one and love it. Never had a problem whatsoever, and you could almost say that the 870 is the 98 custom of shotguns sorta. I've also heard the Mossberg 500 is quite nice as well, very similar to the 870.

Amen.

Although if you save up the money an 1100 is like the god of skeet and trap.

Edited by X-51 - 17 February 2008 at 8:26pm
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 8:32pm

Kickin's HS had a trap team?!  Holy cow.  I've lived in some fairly rednecky places, but never heard of that.

Shot trap and double trap a ways back.  I mostly sucked.  I think I broke 20 three times ever.  Shot a bunch of different guns - over-under, side-by-side, pump, semi.  Only style I didn't like was side-by-side.  The sight picture was too weird for me.

Worked the bunkers at the Missouri state championship one year, though.  That was pretty cool.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
tippmannfreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Post, 1/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 8:43pm
i shoot my Remington 11-87, but thats only because i can't afford an over under.

i don't think you want to be buying cheap shotgun and modding it too much. i know this may be hard for you especially, but i think the out of the box quality of a shotgun is a little more important than in paintball.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic