Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clay Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 9:06pm
Hence the 870. At 300 dollars it's amazingly accurate and handles well.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by tippmannfreak tippmannfreak wrote:

i don't think you want to be buying cheap shotgun and modding it too much. i know this may be hard for you especially, but i think the out of the box quality of a shotgun is a little more important than in paintball.

Well, I didn't mean extensive modding. Just installing an adjustable cheek-rest and recoil pad. That way, I can customize the fit on an affordable gun. As said, I really like those Stoeger Condor over/unders, and they are quite affordable.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 10:15am
I used to work at a local trap and skeet range when I was a kid. Most of the shooters who were Pro used the o/u. If you like the o/u, look into a Browning 12g. If cost is your concern and you want to shoot more, for practice, look into a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/800 12g.
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 10:49am
12 GA. Mossberg 500 pump or 12 GA. Remington 870 pump. Either would be good enough for skeet shooting.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 11:38am
I grew up shooting a side by side winchester 20 that my father had. I cannot, to this day shoot an o/u. I like the feel of a side by side a lot.

For skeet though, I'd rather a 12ga. semi.

Quick skeet story:

I took my hunter's safety course a little older than most people do around here, and part of the class is handling a shotgun. They throw a few clays out and you pop off a few shots. They don't care if you hit them or not, just that you can handle the shotgun safely. I was the only one in the class that hit all three of the clays they threw, which irked the instructor, since during the demo, he only hit two.

He stopped the class and had a mini competition with me right there.

He won, but it was still sort of amusing.

Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by X-51 X-51 wrote:

Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. 12 or 20 guage. I personally own one and love it. Never had a problem whatsoever, and you could almost say that the 870 is the 98 custom of shotguns sorta. I've also heard the Mossberg 500 is quite nice as well, very similar to the 870.

Amen.

Although if you save up the money an 1100 is like the god of skeet and trap.

I second that. The 870s and 1100s shoot sweeter the more you use them.

Although, great grandpa's Auto-Five does a mighty fine job on it's own (except that whole $80 a flat for 16 ga.)

Most importantly - People suck.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 12:53pm
870 is where it is at.

Although I use a .22 loaded with Birdshot.  That's just because i'm more badass than anyone else here. 
X
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

870 is where it is at.

Although I use a .22 loaded with Birdshot.  That's just because i'm more badass than anyone else here. 

Those are good snake hunting rounds.

Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 1:31pm
I've shot both the Remington 870 and 11-87, and I love both.  I'd personally go with the 11-87, simply because it's semi-auto.  They're great guns, and Remington is the Tippmann of shotguns in my opinion.  They're extremely reliable and mine have never let me down.
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Belt #2 Belt #2 wrote:

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 express. 12 or 20 guage. I personally own one and love it. Never had a problem whatsoever, and you could almost say that the 870 is the 98 custom of shotguns sorta. I've also heard the Mossberg 500 is quite nice as well, very similar to the 870.

Amen.

Although, great grandpa's Auto-Five does a mighty fine job on it's own (except that whole $80 a flat for 16 ga.)

I'd stay away from the 1100s.  They've been known to have some problems ejecting the shells after the shot.  I'd stick with the 1187.  A 12 guage 1187 will be cheaper to shoot than most other guage guns, and it's a Remington, so you know you're getting quality.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 1:42pm
I have 2 mossbergs, a 500 and the 590.  they are great shooters, accurate and easy to handle. and you can modify/accessorize them with little or no trouble at all.  But, back on track, for trap and skeet, a Browning o/u.
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 2:38pm

Hence the 870. At 300 dollars it's amazingly accurate and handles well.
One of my favorites not to mention the ease of upgrading and finding parts.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Smitty Smitty wrote:

Originally posted by Belt #2 Belt #2 wrote:

Amen.

I'd stay away from the 1100s.  They've been known to have some problems ejecting the shells after the shot.  I'd stick with the 1187.  A 12 guage 1187 will be cheaper to shoot than most other guage guns, and it's a Remington, so you know you're getting quality.

I've never had that happen with mine in the 2 years I've owned it and it's god knows how old. My grandfather won it in a raffel years ago for 2 bucks

tippmannfreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Post, 1/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:30pm
personally, i hate the idea of a cheap over under. i don't know much about the quality of stoeger guns, but i know mossbergs are generally great.

however, i see them as utilitarian, which an over under is not. i don't think many here can contest that over unders can be as much works of art as weapons, a mossberg over under doesn't sit well with me.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:39pm
I just hit the Mossberg webiste, I didn't find an o/u, got a link?
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I just hit the Mossberg webiste, I didn't find an o/u, got a link?

http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=15§ion=produ cts
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 4:08pm
The International, got it now.
gdktrading View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdktrading Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2014 at 6:09am
I spammed relevant spam.

It was still spam and I'm dead now.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 24 January 2014 at 7:19am
- Clay pigeon</a>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2014 at 9:58am
Interesting spam. Here I thought we would talk skeet shooting..
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2014 at 12:20am
No kidding... considering I just starting shooting a few months ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic