Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need help please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help please.
    Posted: 22 January 2008 at 1:53am

ok... i heard on the tippmann A-5 the flatline barrel is a nice accurate barrel... but i am having major problems... mine isnt accurate and i dont like that barrel.... what other possible barrels can i get... there isnt one i can screw on so i am having troubles trying to find a different barrel.. so if anyone can help me that would be wonderful... just send me some links or somthing..

Thanks guys,

Matt

thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:48am

The flatline isnt very accurate and I am sorry for whoever told you that.  It is because of the rough surface inside that can effect each paintball differently but without that surface it does not get the distance.  For a good priced barrel, as you will see this is said often, I recomend the J&J or the Lapco barrels.  Both make an extremely good and accurate barrel.  Depending on what you are looking to spend you may even want to get a kit.  The kit allows you to match up bore sizes of the paint and the barrel.  the matched sizes help to give you more accuracy and less breaks.  The J&J will be quieter and the Lapco will let people know where you are alot more.  It really depends on your style of play.  Here are a few links for the barrels and the kits.  If you need anything else ask away.  Thats what everyone is here for and welcome to the forum.

J&J

http://www.paintball-discounters.com/get_item_150100par_j-j- ceramic-barrel.htm

J&J Kit

http://store.generalsway.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.ca talog&categoryID=251

Lapco

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/S tore/en/-/USD/BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=Bg1gmjnfJKRgB35KmH2gMj ML-eD5STkB6R8=?CategoryName=paintball-paintball-barrels-lapco-barrels

Edited by thejudge - 22 January 2008 at 2:50am
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 3:25am
Hey man thanks a lot.... Also i have to buy a the barrel converter right?? from a-5 to 98 for them barrels....
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 4:44pm
Did your A5 come with the stock barrel as well?  if it did it is the piece on the end of that and it should come off.  I thought the same thing but mine just needed some hard twisting to get it off.  If it did not come with the stock barrel then yes you will need one.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 4:53pm

All of those barrels are available with A-5 threads as well.

But the central question is as thejudge pointed out - you need a barrel adapter that does where the Flatline was.  If you got one with the gun, use it.  Probably has A-5 threads.  Otherwise you will need one, and you can get whatever threads you like.

Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 7:03pm
ok... thanks guys... i still have to stock barrel... So i had it taken off and it the twist on.. not the threads... so i guess i have to buy one of the adapters for it... unless someone else has a different idea...
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 7:13pm

I'll bet that the adapter is still attached to your stock barrel...

The stock barrel has A-5 threads, and the "twist on" part is just the adapter.

Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 7:30pm
Can you unscrew the twist-on bit from the barrel? If so thats the adapter, and your in business. It might be a bit hard to unscrew if it's been attached for a very long time. But it won't be THAT bad. If it's considerably wider than the rest of the barrel, then we know it's the adapter.
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 7:31pm
Yea thats what I was trying to say.  It is hard to get off at first but put some muscle on it and it will come off.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 2:00am
One question before you totally write off using the the Flatline.  What velocity were you shooting at?
Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 3:50pm
i was tryin to keep the gun shooting at 300 fps... but i am having troubles with it.. i think i am going to use compressed air instead of the c02.. but i will try to take off the adapter for it.. thanks
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 6:43pm
300 fps is way to fast for any model of the F/L.  In my experience the 98 version works best at 265-275 fps and the A5 version works best at 260-270 fps.  The speed you were shooting at was causing excessive spin and this resulted in inconsistency.  I recommend trying it again at lower velocities.  I also recommend doing a forum search for the information you are interested in; I know there are several threads where you could have found what I just told you.

Edited Note:  If you are expecting the capability to do one-shot-one-kills at long range, that doesn't happen in paintball with any barrel.  You will find however that a properly used F/L makes an outstanding suppressive tool.

Edited by Mack - 23 January 2008 at 6:45pm
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:02pm
And also for the record the flatline of he A5 shoots just as far.  The barrel itself is just shorter.
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by thejudge thejudge wrote:

And also for the record the flatline of he A5 shoots just as far.  The barrel itself is just shorter.

Range has nothing to do with barrel length. You know that thejudge . Seriously though, the way you phrased that somewhat seems to imply that range is proportional to barrel length. For anyone reading this who doesn't already realize this, it isn't.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk thejudge, I'm saying this all just in case).
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:52pm

Sorry didnt realize that.  I saw a post somewhere that said the A5 was shorter and the way it was worded it made it sound like range.  No the length does not effect range.  It is instead the backspin on the ball as I am sure has been stated.  Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused

Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 9:02pm
ok... so ur saying if i drop the velocitie on my gun i will be able to shoot farther and have more accurate shots??? because thats what i am trying to get at... Thanks for everything ur guys are telling me..
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 10:08pm
Lockerboy:

Having not seen the range you were getting with your F/L at the current velocities I really can't answer that part of the question.  I can guarantee however that dropping your velocity will result in much better consistency from the F/L.

Judge/Ilford:  I believe the differences in design between the A5 and 98 F/Ls have something to do with why each works best in a different velocity range.  I have done (way unscientific) tests regarding the ranges of each and noted no difference when each was set at the same velocity (265 fps).  When I set each of mine at the velocity that they seemed most consistent at (A5-264 fps; 98-272 fps) the 98 did seem to have a very slight range advantage. (Obviously).  I really don't think this would provide a major advantage in a game although it does provide a few extra feet of range to annoy opponents with.  I also think that the ease of use of the A5 version more than cancels out this minimal advantage.

Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 10:36pm
i am getting very poor range with the F/L... is there a difference with the F/L barrel has a bend in it?? is it suppose to have the bend in it?? i will try to take a picture of the barrel and post it but it has a bend in the barrel....
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:24am
The actual barrel is supposed to have a bend (actually more of an arc) to it.
Lockerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 5:48pm
okie thanks because mines got an arc to it.. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic