FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Those in the military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2008 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Did I ever say it was inefficient?   No. It was in reference to the hurry up and wait.

A lot of ways are more efficient, but the military is all about inefficiency and hurry up and wait.

Hell, at boot (here comes the flames) the way we took showers was turn the shower on for 5 seconds, get wet, then turn it off. We'd then sit there for 5 minutes before we were allowed to lather.... then we got another 10 seconds to get all the soap off. End of shower.

Both the "hurry up and wait" statement and the statement about the inefficiency of the military were used in the same sentence.  When something is used in the same sentence as something else, it is thought to be related in some way or another.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2008 at 11:56pm

A lot of ways are more efficient, but the military is all about inefficiency and hurry up and wait.

It's not your subordinates job to tell you how to do things.

first, i never said it was their place to tell you how to do things, but to suggest different methods. And of course, you should use the chain of command, team leader, squad leader, PL, etc.

second. that doesn't make that much sense, if its inefficient why would you hurry up and wait, or even give that explanation after i said you could use less time accomplishing the same task? if it was hurry up and wait, then hell, i would do it faster, and let my troops have the extra time to themselves. frankly, it boosts morale and gets the job done with equally efficient results.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

This forum argues over everything.  I love it.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 9:12am
Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

that doesn't make that much sense, if its inefficient why would you hurry up and wait, or even give that explanation after i said you could use less time accomplishing the same task? if it was hurry up and wait, then hell, i would do it faster, and let my troops have the extra time to themselves. frankly, it boosts morale and gets the job done with equally efficient results.

Hurry up and wait is just a core part of being in the military, and since you're in the ROTC you should know that by now.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 11:09am
oh i know it, but as an officer in training, myself as well as my fellow cadets should always be looking for quicker, equally/more efficient ways to accomplish tasks. And a good leader is always willing to listen to someone if they have an idea on how something could be improved, and if its been thought through and can't help any, then you explain it to the troop so he understands that your not just being a jerk about it.
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 11:27am

oh i know it, but as an officer in training, myself as well as my fellow cadets should always be looking for quicker, equally/more efficient ways to accomplish tasks. And a good leader is always willing to listen to someone if they have an idea on how something could be improved, and if its been thought through and can't help any, then you explain it to the troop so he understands that your not just being a jerk about it.

Just don't be the <poopy> that wants to rearannge a perfectly functioning workcenter just to look like you're making a difference. Not saying you will do that, but just be open minded. Learn their way first, then make assessments on how it can be improved. Ask your guys for their ideas and put yours on the table as well, then figure out what everyone wants to do.

Edited by Rambino - 15 January 2008 at 12:54pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 12:21pm
yea, i know to do that...im just saying once i get into the groove of things, see if theres anyway you can improve on something. or if a troop has an idea, listen to it and tell him why its good or bad. the one thing i hate is when i have an idea and im told it wont work, but no one tells me WHY it wont work.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Just don't be the <poopy> that wants to rearannge a perfectly functioning workcenter just to look like you're making a difference. Not saying you will do that, but just be open minded. Learn their way first, then make assessments on how it can be improved. Ask your guys for their ideas and put yours on the table as well, then figure out what everyone wants to do.

If there was one thing I detested above all others while I was in the USAF, this was it.  It was AF policy that senior NCOs and officers had to switch jobs regularly (every 12 to 24 months) to broaden their experience base and be promotable. The result of this was that every time someone moved, the replacement would change everything just so it would look like they were taking charge. 

When I was a junior NCO I found that these superiors could normally be satisfied by reformatting reports so that it appeared changes had been made when the majority of the changes were merely to the report.  (Of course, it helps if you suggest the report changes to the superior, but make them think it's their idea.)

As a senior NCO I made it a point to actually observe operations in any new section before fiddling with stuff.  This led to an exchange similar to the following conversation.

"Sgt, you've been in your new section for two months and haven't changed anything."

"Sir, the section was rated 'outstanding' in the last inspection.  I observing to see what, if anything, needs to be modified.  I don't want to damage moral or cause a decrease in performance."

"If you won't take charge, I'll put someone in there who will."

"Yes sir!"

I ended up reformatting some reports and he was happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic