Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hoe many of you smoke and Why?(Not weed)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: Do you smoke?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [31.58%]
31 [54.39%]
8 [14.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 1:57am
Its personal choice.  I know smokers and non-smokers, I don't give them crap about it and they don't bug me because its easy enough to avoid.

Having seen first-hand my grandfather suffering emphysema and coughing-up loads of phlegm from years back when he was a smoker, and knowing he was lucky compared to most, I think the folks here who think they're deaths will be nice, peaceful affairs are plain silly, but its their choice.

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
fourfiftysix View Drop Down
strike 1, 2/20 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourfiftysix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 12:39pm
ya i smoke, it make me shoot straighter..lol...no not really but when i started smoking was the cool thing to do
transform into the ghost rider
Funky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pants? I dont need no stinking pants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 1:27pm
Alright, so I've skimmed over the responses and now you're getting my handful of change.

A little bit about me: As many of you know, I've been working in a cigar store for almost 2 years. In Ontario, we are not allowed to smoke indoors, so we do not have a lounge in the store to smoke in anymore. Thus I don't work around smoke all day. Yes, I smoke cigars and last summer, I probably averaged 4-5 a week. I enjoy it, I'm not addicted (since it's currently -10 outside and I'm not freezing my ass off) and I mainly smoked while working (getting paid) on our patio to get away from my miserable manager.

I am also an incredibly active individual. I work out regularly and I played on two ultimate frisbee teams last summer, so I do care about my lungs and health.

Regarding smoking bans, I do enjoy working in a smoke-free environment, but I still believe it is a choice that everyone has a right to make. If people want to smoke in a bar, far be it from me to get in their way.

Living in Canada, there is the argument about our health-care system paying for cancer treatment for smokers. While I do agree that it isn't fair, what about over-eaters? Athletes who injure themselves playing a sport they voluntarily play? (I'm quite injury prone). Also, those with cancer die earlier, and while itís awful to say, thatís freeing up old-folks homes.

Regarding the age old debate of Cuban cigars vs. Non-Cubans, I normally visit the US a couple times a year and I smoke various Non-Cubans while Iím there. There are MANY quality non-Cuban cigars available to smoke that do rival Cuban cigars. I do still prefer Cuban cigars, but they are in no way, the absolute best cigar available. The common problem is that the average American smokes cheap cigars (although there are some great cheap non-Cuban smokes). When they visit Mexico and drop a lot more money on a Cuban cigar, they are blown away. The fact of the matter is if you spent that 15-20us that you spent on a Cuban and put it towards a non-Cuban like a Padron 1926, Ashton VSG, or Tatuaje, youíd achieve similar results.

Now, the topic at hand. Many people who have not smoked cigarettes see it as a nasty habit with no benefits (other than ruining the clean air around them, stinking it up andÖ cancer). Also, many cigarettes smokers are inconsiderate pricks who donít give a damn about anyone around them. So itís easy to see how many non-smokers can hate cigarettes.

The reason I feel that my opinion matters is that I have smoked (inhaled) cigarettes before. A year ago in the fall, Iíd occasionally smoke a couple cigarettes once a week to cap off an exhausting week of university. Iíd smoke them alone, on my porch, while listening to music and overlooking the sunset. There is a very romantic quality about cigarette tobacco. Itís very relaxing, very calming and provides a nice airy feeling. You also look incredibly cool doing it! It was easy for me to see the benefits of smoking, itís a great sensation and too many take advantage of. I donít quite understand those that have to keep puffing away. You must appreciate the moment.   I only smoked for a month because I noticed that wonderful feeling was no longer as strong as I remembered it was and I didnít want to get into the pack-a-day routine that so many of you have entered. And, well, I wanted to give my lungs a few months to heal for Frisbee.

The point of this story is that I can see the positives about smoking, and who knows, later in my life I may take up cigarettes again, as it was a wonderful experience. But as an active individual, my sports are currently worth more to me. I do have some friends that do treat cigarette smoking as a luxury item, appreciating it and being considerate not to smoke around others who do not want to be exposed to the smoke. Life is long, there should be some little pleasures along the way. Believe me, my body has taken quite a beating from all the sports Iíve played in my youth. I already have a bad back and too many sprains to count and they will most certainly catch up with me in my later years.

People can do whatever they want with their bodies. Theyíre just trading time.

Quality vs. Quantity.

"Don't you hate pants?"
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 3:38pm
But Funky, you are a dirty smoker. Your opinion doesn't matter since you are the scum of the earth.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I smoke, I hang out with smokers and non-smokers, my roommate is a non-smoker... and somehow we all manage to get along.
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Say what you want about smoking...
But where would you non-smokers be without us smoker's tax money?
Paying less out of our taxes to support people who can't afford medical care, but still manage to put a carton of cigarettes 3 times a week?
Prove it.
I see it happen all the time. People on welfare and medicaid/medicare etc continue to smoke even though someone else is picking up their medical bills.
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

NY also has laws against smoking indoors at public places. I like that.

I've got some pretty strong prejudices against smoking that came
from my having spent two winters working at a ski slope where our only
shelter when we were on break was a lift shack slightly larger than a
walk in closet. <span style="font-weight: bold;">With the exception of myself and two other people, everyone at our lift was a smoker</span>,
and rather than go outside and freeze to have their cigs, they stayed
in the shack. My choice was to suck the second hand, or to stay outside
when my shift was over and I was on break.

I don't know, I've just seen far too many people be inconsiderate about their habit. It sets my teeth on edge.

So the majority of the workers smoked?
Fumes in the air don't care who voted for cancer, and who voted against second hand smoke.

The mere smell of burned tobacco isn't a carcinogen... Smoke has to actually be in the air, just because you can smell smoke doesn't mean you're breathing anything in that's harmful to you.
I work at exactly the type of hill that he described. At LEAST 98 percent of people there smoke, whether it's cigs, cigars or LOLZ MARYJANE. I'd say the percentage of people who smoke weed there is like 85% or higher, including some of the bosses (2 of three managers, and the hill manager is an old alcoholic, so he doesn't care).
It's pretty hilarious; such an awesome place to work and get free lift tickets.
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 8:28pm
Funky = Preach

I'm somewhat along the lines w/ Funky and Whale. I don't really smoke, but in the rare instances that I do, it's usally in a situation to calm myself from stress from school or whatever the case may be. I also don't stink from smoke cuz my bf and family don't know that I do.
BearClaw View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 8:36pm
I got better things to wast my money on.  I don't exsessivly drink,  Don't smoke Don't do or use ANY from of drugs (even medicinal).

I spend my $$ on needed things (Food, clothing etc) , the House, the Car, and Hobbies.

That being said i don't have any problems with smokers nor to i go outa my way to avoid second hand smoke  (I actually join the smokers for smoke break at work ).  I fiugre i will die sonner from the crap i inhale at work befor the second hand smoke.

Edited by BearClaw - 03 January 2008 at 8:42pm
AGD RT ULE AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN SL68II
DANGEROUS POWER E1
TIPPMANN A5
SHERIDAN PGP2
AGD 68 AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN PRO-CARBINE
EMPIRE TRRACER
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 3:16am

The mere smell of burned tobacco isn't a carcinogen... Smoke has to actually be in the air, just because you can smell smoke doesn't mean you're breathing anything in that's harmful to you.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the smell of burned tobacco is, besides smoke?

I'll agree the smell that lingers in a room isn't carcinogentic, but the smell commming from an active cig? That is.

As for all the people advocating "It's their choice" I'll support that 100%, when they are doing it in their own home. When they are walking in the street, on public transport, in a bar, at a restraunt, at the beach, in the woods, wherever they are taking MY choice away. They are forcing their God awful smell, the crap that makes up smoke and their stench on me.

From now on I'm going to walk around with a bottle of Hydrogen Sulfide on me. Whenever I'm near a smoker I'm going to open it up. Hey, it's MY choice to smell like rotten eggs isn't it?

The after a meal you probably can't even taste properly cig aside, there are plenty of other times that this useless habbit affects other people.

Like the typical working day. How many man hours are wasted because people have to go get a fix for their addiction? And non smokers get penalised for it. Try tell your boss you want to go stand outside in the sun for 10 minutes. He'll laugh at you.

And then these people come back. And they now stink of stale smoke. But they can't smell it because their noses are damaged, and they are accostomed to the smell anyway.

Heaven forbid you should tell a smoker he or she can't go for that break! Not only are you persecuting them for smoking, you are going against their human rights (Dude, I'm, actually saving your life. Next time you are drowning, just light up a cig.) and then you have to deal with them being jittery and critchety because they didn't get their fix.

Smokers are almost as bad as people who own dogs.

KBK
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the smell of burned tobacco is, besides smoke?

I'll agree the smell that lingers in a room isn't carcinogentic, but the smell commming from an active cig? That is.

As for all the people advocating "It's their choice" I'll support that 100%, when they are doing it in their own home. When they are walking in the street, on public transport, in a bar, at a restraunt, at the beach, in the woods, wherever they are taking MY choice away. They are forcing their God awful smell, the crap that makes up smoke and their stench on me.

From now on I'm going to walk around with a bottle of Hydrogen Sulfide on me. Whenever I'm near a smoker I'm going to open it up. Hey, it's MY choice to smell like rotten eggs isn't it?

The after a meal you probably can't even taste properly cig aside, there are plenty of other times that this useless habbit affects other people.

Like the typical working day. How many man hours are wasted because people have to go get a fix for their addiction? And non smokers get penalised for it. Try tell your boss you want to go stand outside in the sun for 10 minutes. He'll laugh at you.

And then these people come back. And they now stink of stale smoke. But they can't smell it because their noses are damaged, and they are accostomed to the smell anyway.

Heaven forbid you should tell a smoker he or she can't go for that break! Not only are you persecuting them for smoking, you are going against their human rights (Dude, I'm, actually saving your life. Next time you are drowning, just light up a cig.) and then you have to deal with them being jittery and critchety because they didn't get their fix.

Smokers are almost as bad as people who own dogs.

KBK

It's not your right for all your co-workers to smell nice. That's an issue that, I hate to say, is just something you have to deal with. Going outside to smoke and washing your hands goes a long way to making you not smell, and I do both.
If you bust out a bottle of Hydrogen Sulfide, I guarantee the smokers will just go somewhere else, which is exactly what you should do if you don't like smoke.
Most times it is completely avoidable to walk by a group smoking, and it's not like walking past and getting a whiff is going to kill you. There are plenty of smells worse than tobacco, and you have to deal with them all the time (IE: public restrooms, car exhaust, gasoline, cleaning solvents, etc.), but you don't throw a fit over some guy driving by you and getting a waft of diesel fumes and call the guy an asshole because he wanted a diesel.

As to the man hours lost, I'm sure there are some. Personally, I take approximately 3-5 minutes to smoke a cigarette. At the ski hill I can smoke while working either sitting in the box at the top of the hill, or at the bottom while catching chairs, and not step away from the job.
At the gas station I step right outside and smoke if there's a dead spot in between customers and it's been at least 2 hours (1 hour on 3rd shift) since my last smoke. There's only so much to do each night, and smoking fills in a few of the minutes I would just be sitting around doing nothing.
I'm sure at a place where it takes a while to get outside (office building or whatever) it makes for more hours lost... But then again, so does people taking excessive bathroom breaks, coffee breaks, or for that matter, using the internet. All of that is perfectly acceptable, but not letting some guy go relieve a bit of stress for 5 minutes? Most places won't allow more than a couple smoke breaks per shift, so I don't see how those 10 minutes are incredibly detrimental.

You wouldn't have to deal with anyone getting irritable about not being able to smoke if you would... get this... just let them smoke. Designate areas so they're not by non-smokers in workplaces, but when you're outdoors just don't worry about it. Something else will kill you long before those couple whiffs of second-hand smoke every now and then.

Edited by Bunkered - 04 January 2008 at 7:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic