Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom Flatline Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carlsagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlsagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom Flatline Barrel
    Posted: 23 December 2007 at 3:39pm
I just purchesed a 98 custom and a flatline barrel. So far I am very disapointed in my gun. I have not played in a few years and I had a 98 custom before so I bought another one. I always thought they had no distance with the stock barrel so I spend the money on the flat line. Problem is all of my freinds have Spyders and thier guns stock still shot straiter at distance than my more expensive gun with the mod. I have played with the volocity some but am looking for some advice. I am currently very disapointed with my 290 dollar investment. I expect it to have much more distance than a stock Spyder Xtra or Rodeo.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 4:19pm
Well, here's the thing. Do you all use a chronograph. If so, what are their markers chronoing at and what is yours? Secondly, is your flatline installed correctly?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
carlsagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlsagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 5:21pm
No we do not use anything like that. We just get together 10 or 15 guys and play either in woods or abandon buildings and factories. I have messed with the velocity of mine a lot to try to dial it in. Some times it seems great other times it seems terrible. But no matter what it always seems like the Spyder Rodeo and Xtra my friends have are much more strait shooting acurate guns. I am very frustrated with this. I thought it could be the paint but even with the same paint they use nothing changes. I dont see how I could really go wrong installing the Flatline. I screwed the adapter all the way in so that the pinch bolt is at the bottem and made sure the barrell was pushed all the way into the adapter.

Edited by carlsagan - 23 December 2007 at 5:22pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 6:25pm
Here's the deal. Playing without chronographing your markers is simply not safe. The reason they're shooting the same distance as you is that either:

A) They're all shooting hot and thus their rounds are going further (hot means the ball exceeds 300fps (205mph) and will also put you at risk of breaking fingers if they're hit at close range, or shatter someone's mask.

B) The less likely option is that you may be chronoing too low. All of you need to get to a chronograph, or pitch in $10 each to buy a hand-held chrono to keep yourselves, and your bodies and eyes, safe.

As for the flatline's paint, I suggest using a small-to-medium bore paint (marballizer is good and commonly available) and chronoing your marker at around 280fps to get the best results.

Now, go get your friends and get a chrono and keep the sport safe.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 6:30pm
ok im kinda in the same boat he is but i dont have a flatline. were can i get a handheld chrono. i realy dont feel like beain .
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 7:35pm
barf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 12:08pm

yea.. a chrono would be your best bet.....

i used to have a flatline and i always had to have it runnin on a lower velocity... if not i broke paint like mad and balls where all over the place......

and you have to have good paint..... 

with all of that you should get the distance... but as far as shooting as "straight" as your friends guns.....

well,  i sold my flatline...... and thats all i gotta say.....

thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 2:11pm
The other thing with the flatline on the 98 is the barrel actually moves when you put it on and take it off.  you need to make sure the curve is right on target or you will lose alot of distance.  the barrel should arch upwards from the connection point on the gun.  Also Flatlines work best between 270-280 fps so you def. need the chrono so that you can dial in and get the best results.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic