Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pure math 10 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pure math 10 question
    Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:04pm

I did part of this question, but once I get to a certain point I dont know what to do. This is a subtraction with fractions.

Subtract:        &nb sp;         &nb sp;        

2                                                         3

------------------               -          ----------------------

(x2 –3x-10)                                          (x2 –5x-14)

Now I can factor the bottoms of both fractions to get

2                                                      3

------------------             -               ---------------------

(x+2) (x-5)                                             (x+2) (x-7)

Right here is where I get stuck. I know that I have to find a common denominator to subtract these, but the fact that they are x's in the fractions confuse me.  Normally I wouldn't have a problem, but I havent done one of these before. That fact that they are in brackets is what screws me up. If I multiply them by something to make them equal they wont end up equal, because the x's will be different.  I need some help.

hoginds24 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
who’s the ph00l now?!?!?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoginds24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:11pm
multiply the opposite by the bottom of the other?
Pezzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pezzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:15pm
It has been forever since I've done this and I can't say I remember exactly how.  Through a little algebra I simplified it to (x^2 - 5x - 14) * (2x^2 - 6x - 20) - 3.  Don't ask me how but it should still give you the same number as the original function.
Suck, sqeeze, bang, blow, and GO!

jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:20pm

Ok so the common denominator is  (x+2) (x-5) (x-7). the tops would be 2(x-7) - 3(x-5). you multiply the coefficents into the fractions 2x-14-3x+15  and simplify to get -x+1 over (x+2)(x-5)(x-7). Yay I figured it out.

The reason it confused me was that I thought what I did to one fraction I would have to do to the other, but their is no equals sign and when you find a common denominator you have to multiply each fraction by something different.

Edited by jordanpischke - 18 December 2007 at 8:21pm
jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 9:00pm
Cha Ching:

Feel free to print out and cover your room with it as wallpaper

Edited by jjclown23 - 18 December 2007 at 9:01pm
A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic