FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Way to go New Jersey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:26am
Raised 5 with the old fashioned approach. Wait till they become teens, and see if that "time out" approach holds water.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:28am

Originally posted by Enmity Enmity wrote:

If NJ is going to rid of the death penalty, why not let rapists go wild while they are at it? An eye for an eye should be implemented, if you kill somebody beyond question, you get killed. It should not even be a question, those convicted of murder should be killed, and there should be no 15 years in prison before you are executed, it should be maybe a year, to think about what they did, then execution.

Fail.

The Death Penalty debate is filled with so many misunderstandings and "opinion presented as fact" types. Once people do some research, and set their personal feelings off to the side, things may get clearer.

Honestly though, who didn't see me coming into this debate?

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:34am
If there is concrete proof that you murdered somebody (or more than one somebodies), and then ate their liver with some Fava Beans and a nice Chianti then you should be sentenced to death.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

If there is concrete proof that you murdered somebody (or more than one somebodies), and then ate their liver with some Fava Beans and a nice Chianti then you should be sentenced to death.

That's opinion, and carries no weight as a tool or justice. Revenge does not equal justice.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

That's opinion, and carries no weight as a tool or justice. Revenge does not equal justice.

And what do you suggest happen to said person?
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:41am

Well the person obviously cannot be allowed to be a part of society, but we cannot kill him and take the ultimate seizure that cannot be given back.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:43am

Well the person obviously cannot be allowed to be a part of society, but we cannot kill him and take the ultimate seizure that cannot be given back.

If he isn't going to be allowed to partake in normal society then why live?

I know I would rather be dead then spend the rest of my life in jail.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:43am
What exactly is justice, but a form of social "revenge" for an act against the society. Imprisonment is also a form of sociatal revenge, so by the logic here there should be no justice, do as you wish.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:44am
You may personally want to die, but that doesn't mean he wants to. Death is permanent and in a country full of regular human beings, we cannot make that choice, even in government, for other people. That is an opinion on the matter. However, for the purposes of debate, I resort back to the Innocence Project.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:45am

If he isn't going to be allowed to partake in normal society then why live?

I know I would rather be dead then spend the rest of my life in jail.
Then why give him that benefit? If you really seek justice, give him every day of the rest of his life to think about what he did and how he will never be free again.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:47am

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

What exactly is justice, but a form of social "revenge" for an act against the society. Imprisonment is also a form of sociatal revenge, so by the logic here there should be no justice, do as you wish.

Are you really applying slippery-slope to the criminal justice system? Reminds me of the "men marrying men will lead to marrying animals" excuse.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:49am
There are those in the prison system who by choice prefere death to a long and no chance of parole sentence. I still find it fascinating that the convicted rights totally outweighs the victims rights in our juducial system. The murdered did not get a fair trial, a judicial review, an appeal or two, just an instant and immediate "death sentence" by the individual in question.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:51am

There are those in the prison system who by choice prefere death to a long and no chance of parole sentence. I still find it fascinating that the convicted rights totally outweighs the victims rights in our juducial system. The murdered did not get a fair trial, a judicial review, an appeal or two, just an instant and immediate "death sentence" by the individual in question.

It is sad that a person had to die; however, society cannot control that. Simply killing the murderers doesn't control it, it's after the fact.

Ticalxx421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:56am
Yay! for death penalty.

That is all.
[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/73e0l8j.jpg">
     Represent!
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:00pm

Raised 5 with the old fashioned approach. Wait till they become teens, and see if that "time out" approach holds water.

You keep just making declarations like this.  There are millions of people that have been raised without any form of corporeal punishment, and they have turned out no worse than anybody else.

Time outs are not intended for teenagers.  But that does not mean that they are useless. Taking a monolithic approach to child-rearing and discipline is just as idiotic as taking a monolithic and simplistic approach to the judicial system.

Speaking of which - most of the places that do NOT have death penalty?  Less crime than places with the death penalty.  We obviously have to be careful about inferring cause from that simple stat, but it does seem to indicate that a lack of death penalty does not necessarily lead to more crime.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:03pm

Again a "Biblical" aspect ot our society, the "eye for an eye" concept, and we know how the current feeling is towards any "relgious" applications in our "new enlightened " society.

Hammurabi is considered biblical?

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Again a "Biblical" aspect ot our society, the "eye for an eye" concept, and we know how the current feeling is towards any "relgious" applications in our "new enlightened " society.

Hammurabi is considered biblical?

Biblical or not, Hammurabi was actually a societal failure.

Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:05pm
I am still waiting for a death penalty supporter to address the concern about innocent folk getting executed.
"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:05pm

It is sad that a person had to die; however, society cannot control that. Simply killing the murderers doesn't control it, it's after the fact.

I disagree with the death penalty as well. It is too easy on the convicted. It is also incredibly expensive. A quick injection of MPTP (dopamine receptor toxin), surgical removal of the gibblets, eyes and ear drums would be much more fun. Then you don't even need to lock them up, just toss them on the front lawn of the court house and let good samaritans feed the hairy criminal veggie (or let the birds turn him into a carbon offset).
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
Ticalxx421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

I am still waiting for a death penalty supporter to address the concern about innocent folk getting executed.

Stuff Happens.
[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/73e0l8j.jpg">
     Represent!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic