FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Way to go New Jersey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:06am
Michigan has never had one. We're the only state in the union that has not had the death penalty throughout its history.

Isn't anyone who lives in NJ going to be dead from all kinds of cancers by age 30 anyways? Pollution is insane there.
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:07am
If we eliminate the death penalty, then in it's place we should at least start up a Devil's Island penal colony. Dump the scourge somewhere else and remove them from society... have them fend for themselves.

Where's the disincentive to commit crimes anymore? Sentences, parole, etc have become such a joke.

And death penalty issue aside... it makes me cringe to read "Hopefully more states will follow [New Jersey's] lead." for any issue.
NJ is such a horrid example to follow for anything.   My favorite headline for 2nd half of 2007 is from the Trentonian: "Scumbag politicians steal $1 billion"
With it's major cities consistantly making the top list for crime/murder... ridiculously high taxes... and slew of corrupt criminals, errr... I mean politicians that the idiot citizens continue to elect in year after year... NJ is hardly an example for ANYone to follow, for anything. I keep hoping my family decides to move so I don't even have to bother going back so often. I know I surely won't ever move back there myself.

But back on topic... if the Death Penalty is to be removed... then something else needs to take it's place. The sentencing aspect of criminal justice should be as much a disincentive as a punishment. Right now it's hard for me to consider it being much of either.
At the very least... no death penalty should mean 4x6 cell, solitary confinement for life with no parole, no TV, no exercise, no contact with other inmates... nothing.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:15am
I'd consider that more cruel and unusual punishment than just killing me Shorty.
What to do? View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 4/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What to do? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:41am

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

I don't see how you can support the death penalty if the system is flawed and has failed in the past. The fact that wrongly-convicted people have been put to death, yet support for the capital punishment is so high in this country is mind blowing to me. Based on that alone should be enough reason to not support it. And also, the abortion argument really has no bearing in this thread. That's a separate issue that really can't be compared to capital punishment.

I also find it fascinating that some many Christians out there are in favor of the death penalty. I figure since Jesus was a wrongful victim of capital punishment, you people would be against it. Also, what happened to "Thou shalt not kill"?

It's not me thats doing the killing, so I dont care, Death Penalty=win

No Death Penalty?= :(

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:49am
Interesting concept, Death Penalty for those whose only crime is to be located in the wrong womb, and no death penalty for those in our society actually guilty of a true crime against society.

The term we are looking for is deterance, no fear of actual punishment, no hesitation in the commision of the act. Again many here are looking at this from the
"time out" chair generation, a true form of deterance...once you have kids you will understand actually how effective that "acceptable" punishment is also.

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 December 2007 at 7:49am
Enmity View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Image

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enmity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 7:57am
If NJ is going to rid of the death penalty, why not let rapists go wild while they are at it? An eye for an eye should be implemented, if you kill somebody beyond question, you get killed. It should not even be a question, those convicted of murder should be killed, and there should be no 15 years in prison before you are executed, it should be maybe a year, to think about what they did, then execution.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Enmity Enmity wrote:

If NJ is going to rid of the death penalty, why not let rapists go wild while they are at it? An eye for an eye should be implemented, if you kill somebody beyond question, you get killed. It should not even be a question, those convicted of murder should be killed, and there should be no 15 years in prison before you are executed, it should be maybe a year, to think about what they did, then execution.

I'm pretty sure it's a long period of time so they can make sure it was actually that person who comitted the crime.

I think Texas made it so that if there are a certain number of eye-witnesses, they execute them in a much shorter time.

Edited by Bunkered - 14 December 2007 at 8:05am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:06am
Again a "Biblical" aspect ot our society, the "eye for an eye" concept, and we know how the current feeling is towards any "relgious" applications in our "new enlightened " society. The rub the belly it will be OK approach to the criminal surely deters crime, that is the new progressive approach.
Enmity View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Image

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enmity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Originally posted by Enmity Enmity wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a long period of time so they can make sure it was actually that person who comitted the crime.

I think Texas made it so that if there are a certain number of eye-witnesses, they execute them in a much shorter time.

Yeah Texas made it so if 3 or more people see you commit the murder and will testify, you get executed within something like a month.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:26am
Something tells me that if somebody killed one of your Family members your opinion on the Death Penalty would change.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Something tells me that if somebody killed one of your Family members your opinion on the Death Penalty would change.
No, it wouldn't. I don't believe that more violence is the answer to violence.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:36am

Have you ever had anybody close to you Murdered?
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 8:56am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Interesting concept, Death Penalty for those whose only crime is to be located in the wrong womb, and no death penalty for those in our society actually guilty of a true crime against society.

Exactly.
-ProDigY- View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 4/20 faliure to follow sig rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ProDigY- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 9:03am
hahaha, I love it when fetuses are compared to like, tenants paying
rent or something
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 9:50am

No, I have not. But I do know something. If somebody did murder someone close to me, having that person put to death would not bring me consolation. I am not a vengeful person. Nor do I believe that killing someone solves anything. In fact, it only makes things worse. Somone I know getting murdered would not change that. Don't try to tell me that it will. This is something that I believe far too strongly in.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 10:11am
This forum holds alot of hate for Jersey. Where did all the hate foster? Hell, we gave you Bruce Springsteen, what more do you want!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:11am
Life is considered to be a beating heart, and in partial birth the child usually takes the first breath before the scissors are inserted. One video released to the public on an abortion and we may feel differant. Fetus tests have shown that the fetus feels pain, yet we now debate the act of lethal injection is considered "inhumane" since it causes pain in the condemned. Sodium Pentathol the first drug given in the mass dosage in lethal injection reders unconsiousness in moments, no pain. The two remainder are backups. So if Sodium Pentathol is "inhumane" any surgeon who uses it is comitting "inhumane" surgury.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:16am

Ever had somebody close to you wrongly convicted, executed, and later found innocent?

I think your opinion on the death penalty would change also.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:20am
I like the Gulag/Devils Island approach. A camp in northern Alaska, inmate run, let them prey on each other for a change. And if you try to escape every living creature out there sees you as food. The explosive collar thing would work also, stray from the perimeter, bang off with the head-self induced death penalty.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:23am

As fascinating as a discussion comparing abortion to the death penalty is, I suspect it is a little off center here... 

But as to the death penalty, I find that many supporters of the death panalty casually mix up various reasons.

Should we have the death penalty because it is a deterrant?  Or because the bible says "an eye for an eye"?  Is it "justice"?

If it were proven that the death penalty is not a particularly effective deterrant, would you change your position?

And are you not concerned about the innocent getting executed?

(And BTW, OS, if you think time outs are ineffective as a child-rearing tool, you are doing it wrong)

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic