FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question on Iran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 2:53am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Soviet styled nuclear weapons used a "dirtier" form of uranium or plutonium, with a halflife in the 25,000 year range. The actual burst radius of a mid sized airburst would be intantainious lethal in the 5km center radius, 5-25km radius would be 50-75%, 25km and out 20-50% lethal. Radiation levels will be lethal for up to 25years depending on the density of radiated material. Ground bursts are less lethal, but more "fallout" of debris thrown up in the blast.
Now the larger the yield, the larger the lethality radius.

The Russians are down to only 180 SS-18 launchers, the only weapon they have with a yield over 1 megaton- and even those have sleectable yields of either 750KT or 20MT. The Chinese may have weapons of up to 3MT.

Neither Russia or China is stupid enough to use its nukes. Pakistan's nukes are worrying, but they're not even suspected to have exceeded 40KT yield yet, so their nukes are still babies.

Nukes are an almost insignificant threat in today's world. Far greater potential threats exist.

thats what I'm thinking, I'm much more worried about Pakistan Wiping it's self out or India, Pakistan is a bad situation right now, and they DO have nukes.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 6:11am
chinese generals have threatened the use of nukes against the US if we defend taiwan.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:21am
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I should tune up the three foot tall treb I built a few years ago. I never really messed with it enough to determine the maximum range.

I know!

We should do a forum treb building contest. We did one a few years ago in shop class. We could compete for range and reload time and things of that nature.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

chinese generals have threatened the use of nukes against the US if we defend taiwan.

They wont do it.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

so they can hit israel. and we can make them a parking lot afterwards.

you think they realize, if they nuke israel, that radiation could possibly destroy jerusalem?

They don't care about the holy land anymore.  The "president" of Iran is a radical Shi'ite. A huge majority of the radicals in the Shi'a sect are not concerned with getting Jerusalem anymore, that's the Sunnis.  He only wants to become a stronger and more "dominant " world power,  they believe the 12th Imam is coming, and they want to show their "support" for "him."
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:47am

People, People,

We are getting off topic. The topic is Mideviel Siege Weapons.

Has anyone ever seen one of those giant arrow chuckers like gladiator?

That would be so sweet to build.

Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:59am
Ballista?  I built one with my brother when I was 12.  Not quite as fancy as the originals, but it could shoot a six-foot stick a very long ways.  Very cool indeed.
"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:00am
How big of a project was it? Somethign that could be done in a week or so?
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:09am

It took us most of the summer, and even then it wasn't very sturdy.  It fell apart after a dozen shots or so.

But then, that was just a couple of kids playing in the back yard.  With more serious effort and skill, I would think you could make a good one in a few days of hard work.  I'm sure there are plenty of plans/instructions online.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:11am
Gigantic crossbow on wheels.  Best invention ever.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:35am
I'll try to have my treb up and running again by Christmas. I need a new bar to hold the weight boxes, and I think it needs a new firing mechanism, maybe do away with the string tied to the catch and just make a little remote for it.

I would try to make it mobile, add wheels and some form of propulsion, but then we'd be more into medieval battle bots.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:44am
Well, a correct treb has either wheels or a pivoting counter wieght. otherwise the wieght of the counterwieght will cause it to be unstable.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:45am
My medieval battlebot is going to have a sword and impales his victims on large sticks.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:47am
Are the sticks covered in human fecies?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:51am
Snake, oh it has wheels. Tiny little plastic wheels that don't roll on crap to help with the shot. I meant large wheels, and a brushless motor, you know, radio controlled trebuchet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:53am
I can cover it in feces if needed.  TIPPMANN MEDIEVAL BATTLEBOT CHALLENGE IS NEEDED
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 12:11pm
You need your catapult to attack Uzbekistan.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

I can cover it in feces if needed.  TIPPMANN MEDIEVAL BATTLEBOT CHALLENGE IS NEEDED

Do It Do It!
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 1:11pm
I was going to take a physics class in high school for the express purpose of building a treb, as launching softballs was a class project. Then the new principal decided that that was a weapon and nothing of the sort could be allowed on school grounds. I then had to reschedule, and the chem/physics teacher decided to get a job in a state that paid more in a school that didn't suck. 
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 1:43pm
^He went to Wyoming?

I know the AP physics class was allowed to build one of those Ballistas as long as it didn't use a spear tipped head. now that was an epic fail, they were winding it back and the whole thing snaped in half.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic