FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sooooooo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 4:23pm
i dont think you can install aftermarket stocks.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 5:05pm
Yeah, installing an aftermarket stock probably wouldn't go over well. Especially since you need an armorer to install it for you....
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Edit: 1. Its pretty sad Brihard defended the war in Iraq and Americas current standpoint on the war when he is Canadian.

I did not defend the war. I explained the governmental process that went into it, pointing out that almost 75% of the U.S. legislature deemed it to be in the national interest. I expanded that to show that soldiers are indeed serving their country, even when in unpopular circumstances. Troops don't get to pick and choose how they serve once they're in.

I'm personally against the war in Iraq, but I realize that has nothing to do with the soldiers, and I know they're trying to do their best in a generally crappy situation. I simply accept the legitimacy of the governmental processes that led to the war.

Kristofer: I HIGHLY recocommend a vertical foregrip for your rifle. You don't need a fancy rail set, you can get simple aluminum rails that will bolt onto the stock handguard. That's the system I run (though if you can scam a K.A.C. R5 set off an armourer, do it!) A foregrip greatly enhances the controllability of the weapon, particularly in high rates of fire.

Whatever you're using for your rifle sight, make sure you've got a high quality backup iron sight. If it doesn't cost less than $100, it's probably not worth it. Don't stake your life on substandard kit. I'm not sure when iron sight/optics combo they issue you.

It's too bad you can't retrofit a collapsible stock onto your M16; I find the collapsing stock much handier, particularly when wearing armour. We run a 20" barrel with a collapsing stock. I'd prefer a 14.5" or 16"carbine proper, but I'll take what I can get. If you decide to fit a stock anyway, it's something anyone can do with a couple of tools.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Brihard defended the war in Iraq and Americas current standpoint

I think you misread his posts.

EDIT: I failed.

:(

Edited by Gatyr - 11 December 2007 at 5:44pm
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 10:35pm
yeah i wasnt worrying about getting a vertical foregrip(we call is a broom handle) until they took away the M203, so now i'll look into it, but last i heard the issue everyone one when they are in iraq. as for back up iron sights. i have my current iron sights bzo'd right now that come issued with the M16A4 so i am not worried about that but i appreciate the advice greatly. they make bipod broom handles (your foregrip thingy) that are wicked cool i'll look into getting. and a mount for my surefire. i need one of those

as for collapsible stock, thatd be bad ass, i'll definitely make sure to ask but i bet they'll say no.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

yeah i wasnt worrying about getting a vertical foregrip(we call is a broom handle) until they took away the M203, so now i'll look into it, but last i heard the issue everyone one when they are in iraq. as for back up iron sights. i have my current iron sights bzo'd right now that come issued with the M16A4 so i am not worried about that but i appreciate the advice greatly. they make bipod broom handles (your foregrip thingy) that are wicked cool i'll look into getting. and a mount for my surefire. i need one of those

as for collapsible stock, thatd be bad ass, i'll definitely make sure to ask but i bet they'll say no.

Don't bother with the grip-pod. The bipod is too narrow a base to be that effective anyway, and you're likely to do most of your shooting standing up or moving. As a rifleman in Iraq, would you really want to be in one spot long enough to be using a bipod?

The A4 has a Waver rail flattop, if I'm not mistaken? Are you issued the carry handle iron sight, or a smaller one? Are you issued any sort of optics as well (ACOG, EOTech, etc)?

Make sure you pick up something to lock the threading on your iron sight when you screw it on. You don't want to be halfway through a fight and find they've come loose...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:44pm
You should make a silly-string mount for your gun.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 11:03am
we are issued the A4 with the army carry handle type sights. and when we screw the RCO (ACOG) on we use leathermans or gerbers or wrenches to make sure they are on really really tight. but we also keep our iron sights with us incase of damage to RCO (ACOG)

thanks for the heads up about the bipod handle thingy. i'll remember that. i was thinking if i was on a rooftop shooting down or something it may come in handy, but i do see your point now that ive actually thought about it.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 11:06am
Bri you have to remember, Marines are trained at long range fighting.

FYI Kris, carry your bayonet. My recruiter and DI's told us stories of how many times bayonets were used in Fallujah.

The army uses baynets for paper weights, Marines use them for combat.

Good luck, stay safe, and I'm jealous.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

FYI Kris, don't forget your towel. My recruiter and DI's told us stories of how many times towels were used in Fallujah.

Fixed.
tippmannfreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Post, 1/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:12pm
^^yah i'm sure the recruiter wouldn't exagerate at all...but bayonets are pretty badass
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by tippmannfreak tippmannfreak wrote:

^^yah i'm sure the recruiter wouldn't exagerate at all...but bayonets are pretty badass

Preaching to the choir buddy, but I'm going to listen to someone about combat who has been in multiple tours.

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:20pm
bayonets were used contrary to your beliefs. fallujah was full of hand to hand combat.

as for army, they use them for combat as well...

tolgak, what do you mean about towels?
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:24pm
I think it was a south park reference.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:27pm
Towel reference = Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy = Towel reference

Never forget your towel.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Bri you have to remember, Marines are trained at long range fighting.

Don't be dumb. Everyone is trained in long range fighting. A soldier can fire an M16 just as well as a Marine. However, 95% of today's combat happens within 100 meters; 90% of it within 50. There's no need to be carrying a bipod when this is how things go down.

A bipod's nice if you're taking potshots out to 4 or 500- but if you're doing that, you're an idiot. There's no reason to waste rifle ammo at such long ranges; that's territory for the M249, M240, 60mm mortar, whatever vehicle mounted weapons you have... Not to waste rifle rounds that have relatively ineffectual wounding characteristics at that range anyway.

Personally I tend to rest my mag on the ground when I'm shooting from the prone anyway- either that, or I rest the handguard on whatever happens to be available to rest it on. I can think of exceedingly few situations in training where a bipod would have been handy. Also consider that the Grip Pod has a very narrow bipod base, and doesn't seem to have any sort of swivel at all. A good bipod (for a rifleman, not a sniper) lets you move the rifle at least a bit without shifting the legs.

Bayonets: Better to have 'em and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em. One of my favourite Iraq stories is of the British Prince of Wales' Ropyal Regiment, one of their infantry outfits. They were responding to a friendly unit that had been ambushed in Amara, outnumbered about 2-1, and launched a bayonet charge to rout dug in Iraqis. Some pretty badass soldiering there.

Edited by brihard - 12 December 2007 at 3:40pm

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

A bipod's nice if you're taking potshots out to 4 or 500-

Which is PRECISELY the distance that Marines are trained to shoot, AND hit, at. So, don't be dumb.

Pizza Box's are frowned upon in the Corps.

Edited by Linus - 12 December 2007 at 1:40pm

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:40pm
hahaha the brits are pretty insane.

and brihard is right, yeah we can shoot at 500 yards, yeah the army doesnt train for that. but then again its all rifle qual, marksmanship shooting, not cmobat shooting. well the revamped rifle qual for the Marines fixes that but still, even in vietnam, they realized the 5.56 was a good round because you dont need the larger 7.62 rounds to shoot someone that close to you. and you can carry a lot more 5.56 rounds than 7.62 rounds in the same weight. all of todays combat for the most part is within 100meters.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:30pm
brihard, i orderd on killing and on war today. or whatever the other book name was. both on amazon. should arive by saturday i hope.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

95% of today's combat happens within 100 meters; 95% of it within 50.

So, 0% of combat happens in the 50-100 meter range?

:P

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic