FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sooooooo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

95% of today's combat happens within 100 meters; 95% of it within 50.

So, 0% of combat happens in the 50-100 meter range?

:P

Of course not.  The other 5% is at 500 yards, like Linus said...
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

brihard, i orderd on killing and on war today. or whatever the other book name was. both on amazon. should arive by saturday i hope.

Good call. Both fantastic books.

Linus- Just because you can hit a stationary target form the prone position at 500m doesn't mean you're going to be doing that in combat. On the range your heart isn't pumping 120+ beats per minute. You aren't sweating nearly so much. Your arsehole isn't puckered up tighter than a snaredrum. You're not shooting at another human being. Expecting range marksmanship to equal combat marksmanship under these conditions is ridiculous.

A 5.56mm takes close to half a second to reach 500m. In that time a running target has moved a good 10 or 12 feet. Or has gone to ground. Even if the bullet DOES hit the target, tis slowed considerably, has stabilized in flight, and is not likely to achieve optimal wounding characteristics. Not to mention you're not likely to see a full body silhouette of an enemy anyway- probably a small part of the upper torso and head, assuming the enemy knows he's in combat

If you're 500m away from an enemy, why would you engage him with rifle fire anyway? You've got far more effective weapons to do it with; your platoons and company support weapons. Air support. Snipers. Artillery. Mortars. Machineguns. There is really no tactically valid reason for engaging an enemy at that range with rifle fire. Either the enemy doens't know he's being targeted, in which case you let him get closer so your fire is more effective, or he does know he's being targeted, in which case your support weapons are laying down fire for you to advance under to close with and destroy him. In either case you want to be saving your ammo for when you're up close, more likely to hit him with it, and where it's at its highest ballistic effectiveness.

In either case, there's no real need to put a bipod grip on your M16. It's a solution looking for a problem.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

95% of today's combat happens within 100 meters; 95% of it within 50.

So, 0% of combat happens in the 50-100 meter range?

:P

Oops.  That ought to have been 95% and 90% respectively.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:42pm
brihard, belleau wood, Marines got confirmed kills against the germans with springfield 1903's at over 500m, of course different style of warfare back then. but it does happen

other than that i agree with you 100% and i'll just stick with the broom handle they end up issuing me.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

brihard, belleau wood, Marines got confirmed kills against the germans with springfield 1903's at over 500m, of course different style of warfare back then. but it does happen

other than that i agree with you 100% and i'll just stick with the broom handle they end up issuing me.

LOL, I'm not saying it never happened- just that it's exceedingly rare in contemporary operations. Besides, the Springfield '03 fires a real cartridge.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic