FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I can turn you atheist/agnostic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

Originally posted by BooksAndLeaves BooksAndLeaves wrote:

Because I believe in a creator, that created a world of logic and reason.

For what reason do you believe that?

Personal searching and research.

Can you provide an example from research that led you to believe there is a creator?

If you are asking me to prove the existence of a God, then I cannot, and you know this.

Strangely enough though, it does not change my belief system.

/bookasandfails
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:49pm

If you are asking me to prove the existence of a God, then I cannot, and you know this.Strangely enough though, it does not change my belief system.
Yes, I know, it would take away faith if he was proven, so I guess what I am trying to ask is, how have you proven to yourself or convinced yourself that there is a God in your life?

How have you proven to yourself that there isin't?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:50pm
You can do this with any belief including agnostic...  Why not let people believe what they want.

If it bothers you that much, maybe you are the one that really needs to be questioning what you believe.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:51pm
Agnostic.

I think the idea of God is kinda silly, but I am not sure.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:52pm
“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

-Jonathan Swift
BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

For what reason do you not believe that?

Because I have no reason to.

What is your reason not to?

I'm confused now and need to rephrase this for myself.

So you're asking: "What is your reason for not having a reason to believe in a creator of some sort?"

Well, because something needs to be empirically proven to me, before I can believe it whole-heartedly.
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

-Jonathan Swift
Damn, that's an amazing quote.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

-Jonathan Swift
Damn, that's an amazing quote.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:56pm

I'm confused now and need to rephrase this for myself.

So you're asking: "What is your reason for not having a reason to believe in a creator of some sort?"

Well, because something needs to be empirically proven to me, before I can believe it whole-heartedly.

now im atheist but i can provide an argument for believers...you said it yourself...believe...thats the point, you believe it exists. just like little kids believe santa exists, whether he does or not, how is it hurting you?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:57pm

I'm confused now and need to rephrase this for myself.So you're asking: "What is your reason for not having a reason to believe in a creator of some sort?"Well, because something needs to be empirically proven to me, before I can believe it whole-heartedly.

Proven how?

Science is faith.

As for me, I am a sort of modified agnostic and I draw beliefs from many religions/faiths.

I find that many aethiests are annoying and smug about it.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 04 December 2007 at 9:58pm
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 9:57pm

If you are asking me to prove the existence of a God, then I cannot, and you know this.

Yes, I know, it would take away faith if he was proven, so I guess what I am trying to ask is, how have you proven to yourself or convinced yourself that there is a God in your life?

I am never really dead-set in my ways as far as believing in something or not, so maybe I am a bad person to be trying to do this nifty little "OMG UR CHRISTIAN UR DUMB" thing on, since I tend to agree that Christianity is idiotic.

I consider myself a Deist. I believe in a overall supreme being, however I believe that this being does not interfere in everyday life. Whatever this being is, it has overseen the evolution of life on the planet, and created a world of logic and reason based on certain natural principles. This is why I don't believe in creationism, miracles, etc.

Part of my belief in this comes through simply looking around at the world and seeing patterns and influences in mankind. Part of it comes through thinking that the absolute disbelief in anything at all (atheism) is a little boring and hopeless. Part of it comes through a personal belief that something is out there somewhere.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:00pm

If you are asking me to prove the existence of a God, then I cannot, and you know this.Strangely enough though, it does not change my belief system.
I am never really dead-set in my ways as far as believing in something or not, so maybe I am a bad person to be trying to do this nifty little "OMG UR CHRISTIAN UR DUMB" thing on, since I tend to agree that Christianity is idiotic. I consider myself a Deist. I believe in a overall supreme being, however I believe that this being does not interfere in everyday life. Whatever this being is, it has overseen the evolution of life on the planet, and created a world of logic and reason based on certain natural principles. This is why I don't believe in creationism, miracles, etc. Part of my belief in this comes through simply looking around at the world and seeing patterns and influences in mankind. Part of it comes through thinking that the absolute disbelief in anything at all (atheism) is a little boring and hopeless. Part of it comes through a personal belief that something is out there somewhere.

Deist?

Never heard this before, I need an explanation.

From what you said, we seem to share similar beliefs.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:00pm

So if it can't be proven, you don't believe it?
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:01pm

Deist?

Never heard this before, I need an explanation.

From what you said, we seem to share similar beliefs.

Link that can explain it better than I can

Also, recommended reading in Paine's The Age of Reason.

Edited by Man Bites Dog - 04 December 2007 at 10:03pm
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:07pm

Faith: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Doesn't need a reason, faith is believing in th absence of reason, proof, etc.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:09pm

Proven how?

Science is faith.

I was gonna stop after my quote, but this takes it too far.

1) Faith is accepting something without ample evidence for it.

2) Science requires evidence before the scientific community accepts an idea.

3) Anything scientific that is based on faith is called a hypothesis, and never goes past that if evidence is never found.

4) If 1% of a theory hasn't been proven, it doesn't necessarily make the proven other 99% false. 99% evidence for a claim (at least enough to make the theory true for most real-world applications) is 99 reasons out of 100 why the theory is not based on faith.

5) People who attack science (mainly religious people attacking atheists) try to equate science to religion to undermine something they barely understand. "We're not so different, you and I" only serves to weaken the other in the eyes of the dumb.

I find that many aethiests are annoying and smug about it.

You spelled "atheist" wrong, n00b.

Edited by Tolgak - 04 December 2007 at 10:10pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:10pm

I am never really dead-set in my ways as far as believing in something or not, so maybe I am a bad person to be trying to do this nifty little "OMG UR CHRISTIAN UR DUMB" thing on, since I tend to agree that Christianity is idiotic.

I consider myself a Deist. I believe in a overall supreme being, however I believe that this being does not interfere in everyday life. Whatever this being is, it has overseen the evolution of life on the planet, and created a world of logic and reason based on certain natural principles. This is why I don't believe in creationism, miracles, etc.

Part of my belief in this comes through simply looking around at the world and seeing patterns and influences in mankind. Part of it comes through thinking that the absolute disbelief in anything at all (atheism) is a little boring and hopeless. Part of it comes through a personal belief that something is out there somewhere.

Fair enough.

Developing a legitimate philosophical belief such as that, having no sort of code of conduct to live by, is okay to me.
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Strife_17 Strife_17 wrote:

Faith: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Doesn't need a reason, faith is believing in th absence of reason, proof, etc.

So, in other words, you're saying it is impossible to prove something does not exist?
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:16pm
I'll bite,

I would be fairly confident in saying that it would be impossible to prove that something does not exist, how would one prove something does not exist unless they have seen everything?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:20pm
Just because you can make something up in your head, does not at all mean its nonexistence is suddenly unprovable. You don't need to see everything to know that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic