Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your thoughts on DUI check point

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Shot at Love Contestant

Joined: 13 July 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1352
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:38am

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

 
He swears up and down that he was absolutely good to drive (he blew a .10, legal limit .08), yet he still managed to catch the attention of a police officer with his driving.

Win.

The one thing that is true of EVERYBODY when drinking, IMO, is that they are always more impaired than they think they are.

If you are truly a safer driver after a couple of drinks then that says more about your normal driving habits than anything else.

Bunkered - please point to ONE study showing that there is no impairment to driving ability after a drink or two.  Just one study.  You quickly discover that you can't throw a rock without hitting a study saying the opposite. 

If driving after even just one or two drinks is not dangerous, then this must be another one of those giant conspiracy of scientists, like global warming and evolution.  Because clearly some drunk kid in a car knows much better than those silly ignorant people who study this for a living. 

Red - field sobriety tests are silly, and in no way a meaningful test of impairment.  If you can't walk in a straight line, you are so drunk I am surprised you even managed to start the car.  The fact that legally drunk people can pass those tests means nothing.

I will agree that all things are a matter of degree.  Clearly the guy that had ten drinks is more dangerous than the guy that had one beer.  But I refer back to brihard's point:  Driving is dangerous under the best of circumstances.  Dangerous to yourself and dangerous to others.  To intentionally impair your ability to drive properly is beyond reckless - it is intentional public endangerment.

Nobody "accidentally" drives drunk.  Anybody who drives drunk had at least TWO chances that evening to be responsible, and on at least TWO separate occasions decided that their personal convenience and enjoyment was more important than public safety.

And that is truly despicable.

If you want to drive around toasted on the back 40, go nuts - I don't care.  But if you are driving impaired on a public road, however deserted it is most of the time, you are still showing an astonishingly complete and intentional disregard for the lives of your fellow citizens.

Despicable.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:41am
Al gore is a jackass susan .

I don't think we need to start into that again though


Susan ftw by the way.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Joined: 05 September 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 10156
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:45am
I increasingly have to wonder if Susan is actually an alternate personality of mine that I'm simply not aware of. 
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Back to Top
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Shot at Love Contestant

Joined: 13 July 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1352
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:48am

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Al gore is a jackass susan .

I have no opinion on Al Gore as a person, as I have never met the man.

I have met his wife, however, and if that is any indication of how he is in person, then I tend to agree with you.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:57am
The thing is it isn't how much self control you think you have (and if you have to drink and drive you obviously lack it to begin with). It's about impairment. Average reaction time is 1/3 of a second. Thats how long it takes a normal person to notice, identify, decide on a course of action and execute your plan with regards to an out of the ordinary event. I know that during the day i'm running around a 0.25 second reaction time. It's slightly better than average. But on night shift, around 3 or 4 in the morning? Its up to 0.4 , bordering on 0.5 of a second! Throw in a couple of beers (and by 3an who's only had a couple?) And i'm probably running near a second! Go play a multiplayer game pinging a thousand.

With my comments with regard to most people not driving as well as they think, i was referring to out of the ordinary situations. Most people have no idea how to control a car in an unnatural attitude. Most people have no idea and less practice in controlling, recovering or surviving a spin. Hell the average driver is only capable of turning a skid into a spin, not controlling the situation. Now add alcohol. That little itty bit of overconfidence or mis judgement means you break a bit hard, turn a bit sharply and now you reacting behind the situation because you are for all intents, lagging. Does this round like a good time to be driving on a dirt road, probably with minimal lighting, where animals wander around?

Yes it probably safer doing it there than on a highway, but the core of the matter is it is still ILLEGAL.

A cop ticketing you for it, or getting your licence suspended is tough luck. You made the decision, you executed your plan knowing full well you were breaking the law. Take your punishment like a man, and not a whiney Emo.

You say you won't probably ever get caught? Well then you only have yourself to live with. Just don't ever expect responsible, law abiding people to agree with you. And if you ever do get busted or kill someone, don't expect any sympathy.
As for being a stoner? Well the less said the better.

I do acknowledge there are people more dangerous on the road than you probably are after one beer, but in my opinion those people should be taken off the roads as well. The difference is someone with eye problems didn't decide to take a perfectly working body and degrade it with alcohol.

I know someone with only 1% vision in her left eye, and she drives better than another friend with two perfect eyes, who is just a bad driver. But my one eyed friend meets the legal requirements to drive. If you are over the limit, you don't.
Back to Top
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
What AM I smoking?

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5690
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 7:43am
Wow.. Now to retype that small novel since I deleted it accidentally.

Since I smoke weed and drink underage, it should be rather apparent that I don't worry about doing illegal things for the sole fact that they're illegal.

Not that it really has anything to do with the conversation, but I guess I'm not your average driver. My dad taught me how to drive at a young age (about 7), and he taught me how to get out of trouble while driving. We used to go to an abandoned parking lot and he'd have me put the car in a spin just to practice getting out of them. I've been in two spins on the road, both doing over 50, and recovered from both without hitting anything or going off the road (neither were alcohol-related btw). Anyone who slams on their brakes in a skid is a moron since you're supposed to let off the brakes until you regain control of the vehicle.

Maybe the dope is what keeps me from getting over-confident when I'm driving buzzed (I'm going to stop saying drunk, because I'm not what I consider "drunk" at .08, and people have previously said that I must not have only had 1-2 if I was drunk). It actually has the opposite effect... Ever notice how high people drive slow?

When did I ever whine/act emo about them ticketing me or suspending my licence? Never; because that's never happened (nor is it likely to). And if it did, I understand that the law is still the law, and the police/courts must uphold it and would take full responsibility for my actions. I might be upset if I blew a .08 and went to jail for it, but tickets/fines/etc. is the law of the land.
Why do you think I said I don't drive on main roads/highways/in cities, etc? Only in my small town where I can stick to dirt roads with NO ONE on them (I still don't think you know how few people are on them; people don't even like to drive down the ones I use because they're so damn bumpy), and where I know every inch of road and can pay attention to other things (like these children that supposedly are going to dash across the road at 3am less than 15 feet in front of my car).

Susan: I agree that no study probably exists to deny that drinking impairs your ability to drive.
What I question is whether the .25 seconds or whatever that it slows me reactions (which are faster than usual anyways) makes me a serious threat to anything while going 25mph or under. How far do you travel in .25 seconds while going 25? 9.16 feet, assuming I'm going 25, and I usually do a few under because of potholes.
Maybe someone better with physics could tell me how many feet it takes to stop a car moving 25mph and make this even more accurate.
It would be virtually impossible for me to not see something 15 feet in front of me (plenty of time/space to stop at that speed), especially considering my devout attention to the road, and the fact that I'm a highly observant person.
I'm not saying I'm not somewhat impaired at a .08 BAC. I'm just saying that I'm not so impaired I can't operate a vehicle under good road conditions at near-idling speed, and more than that, still better than your average driver.
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:08am
When you are high, you are MUCH more easily distracted. Not to mention distracted by anything.

25 mph will still kill a person.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 08 December 2007 at 11:09am
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Shot at Love Contestant

Joined: 13 July 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1352
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:27am

Allow me to vaguely paraphrase Bunkered's point:

Driving drunk is dangerous, but it's ok for Bunkered, because he is a super-awesome driver who learned to drive as a kid.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are awful drivers, even before they start drinking.

But since Bunkered knows for sure that he actually IS a super-awesome driver (unlike those other millions of kids who are wrong), I guess it is perfectly ok for him to drive drunk.



Edited by Susan Storm - 08 December 2007 at 12:48pm
"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Back to Top
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Actuarry itís Skirret

Joined: 25 December 2004
Location: Liechtenstein
Status: Offline
Points: 9556
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:28am
Served.
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Allow me to vaguely paraphrase Bunkered's point:


Driving drunk is dangerous, but it's ok for Bunkered, because he is a super-awesome driver who learned to drive as a kid.


Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are aweful drivers, even before they start drinking.


But since Bunkered knows for sure that he actually IS a super-awesome driver (unlike those other millions of kids who are wrong), I guess it is perfectly ok for him to drive drunk.


Once again, susan ftw!
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:59pm
Um, Susan, I am a super awesome driver.


While I am speaking of driving. Yesterday I was in the car with my Dad behind a newer Range Rover. Well we see something fly off the guys rear right wheel and we hear it hit our car. Then the guys wheel just falls of and the car is skidding along on its rear brake while the guy tries to slow his car from 45mph. He manages to get the car into the median/ditch without hitting anybody. It was freaky as hell. I was surprised the guy next to us didn't hit the guys 20" rogue wheel.
Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:39pm
Half the people in the world are below average drivers.
Back to Top
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
And my axe...

Joined: 21 May 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6831
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are awful drivers, even before they start drinking.



Hence why young male drivers are the most likely to die in a car accident.
Back to Top
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
What AM I smoking?

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5690
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

When you are high, you are MUCH more easily distracted. Not to mention distracted by anything.

25 mph will still kill a person.


Who is? You? I've never had any problem focusing while stoned..

I'll try and find the study to post a link. This study done in Europe suggests that with a 100% saturation of THC in your blood (as high as you can possibly be), your driving is impaired to approximately .04 BAC.

Susan: The majority of these "teenage" male drivers (I'm 20, close enough though) also have multiple speeding tickets, an accident, or a DUI. I have none of the above; my car insurance company at least considers me a "safe" driver. My dad (hasn't had an accident in 30 years, or a ticket), my mom, my uncle (cop), and all my siblings (in their late 20's) think I'm an above average driver.
You've never been in my car. Therefore you have no room to place judgement on how good of a driver I am.
Back to Top
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
What AM I smoking?

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5690
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:11pm
As a matter of fact, if we want to talk stereotypes...
You're probably one of those women who haul ass around in a massive SUV while putting on makeup, talking on a cellphone, and eating at the same time. Not paying attention to the road because if you get in an accident you'll be alright. But that's alright, because at least there wasn't a drop of alcohol in your system.

Well, I drive a Grand Marquis, and I drive it about as slowly and cautiously as their normal drivers: grandpas.

Edited by Bunkered - 08 December 2007 at 3:12pm
Back to Top
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Joined: 03 January 2004
Location: R'lyeh
Status: Offline
Points: 12518
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:25pm
I've seen studies that have concluded you are not even considered to be an average driver until you've been driving for at least 5 years.
Back to Top
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
What AM I smoking?

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5690
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:53pm
Well, I'm well beyond that as far as first time I drove. That was 13 years ago. My driving instructor when I was 15 thought I was better the first time I got in the car with him than most students were leaving his class, and he told me this.
Now I'm 20 and have driven well over 200k miles without any incident, ticket, accident, etc.
I'm fairly certain that's evidence to support the fact that I'm an "above average" driver. And that's during the time when I'm supposed to be most dangerous. Now I've got more experience under my belt, I'm far LESS likely to have an incident while driving.
Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Um, Susan, I am a super awesome driver. While I am speaking of driving. Yesterday I was in the car with my Dad behind a newer Range Rover. Well we see something fly off the guys rear right wheel and we hear it hit our car. Then the guys wheel just falls of and the car is skidding along on its rear brake while the guy tries to slow his car from 45mph. He manages to get the car into the median/ditch without hitting anybody. It was freaky as hell. I was surprised the guy next to us didn't hit the guys 20" rogue wheel.


What does that have to do with anything?

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

When you are high, you are MUCH more easily distracted. Not to mention distracted by anything.

25 mph will still kill a person.


Who is? You? I've never had any problem focusing while stoned..

I'll try and find the study to post a link. This study done in Europe suggests that with a 100% saturation of THC in your blood (as high as you can possibly be), your driving is impaired to approximately .04 BAC.

Susan: The majority of these "teenage" male drivers (I'm 20, close enough though) also have multiple speeding tickets, an accident, or a DUI. I have none of the above; my car insurance company at least considers me a "safe" driver. My dad (hasn't had an accident in 30 years, or a ticket), my mom, my uncle (cop), and all my siblings (in their late 20's) think I'm an above average driver.
You've never been in my car. Therefore you have no room to place judgement on how good of a driver I am.


Sure you haven't...

You would be much better off sober than stoned don't you think?

I seriously doubt the validity of that study.

I don't have any of those either and I am not a good driver. You are probably not a good driver either because you are so new to it.

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

As a matter of fact, if we want to talk stereotypes...
You're probably one of those women who haul ass around in a massive SUV while putting on makeup, talking on a cellphone, and eating at the same time. Not paying attention to the road because if you get in an accident you'll be alright. But that's alright, because at least there wasn't a drop of alcohol in your system.

Well, I drive a Grand Marquis, and I drive it about as slowly and cautiously as their normal drivers: grandpas.


HAHA That's how i've always pictured susan also.

Not even kidding.

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Well, I'm well beyond that as far as first time I drove. That was 13 years ago. My driving instructor when I was 15 thought I was better the first time I got in the car with him than most students were leaving his class, and he told me this.
Now I'm 20 and have driven well over 200k miles without any incident, ticket, accident, etc.
I'm fairly certain that's evidence to support the fact that I'm an "above average" driver. And that's during the time when I'm supposed to be most dangerous. Now I've got more experience under my belt, I'm far LESS likely to have an incident while driving.


Unless you are driving drunk or stoned or something.

Of course you don't do that though.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Well, I'm well beyond that as far as first time I drove. That was 13 years ago. My driving instructor when I was 15 thought I was better the first time I got in the car with him than most students were leaving his class, and he told me this.
Now I'm 20 and have driven well over 200k miles without any incident, ticket, accident, etc.
I'm fairly certain that's evidence to support the fact that I'm an "above average" driver. And that's during the time when I'm supposed to be most dangerous. Now I've got more experience under my belt, I'm far LESS likely to have an incident while driving.


So would none of that have to do with the sparsely populated area you live in?

I bet those dirt roads you allegedly adhere to have some rough traffic you manage to avoid.
Back to Top
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Joined: 29 December 2005
Location: Neutral Zone
Status: Offline
Points: 3489
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 1:23am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

I have never seen a wild bear in Canada.

I have.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.203 seconds.