FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your realistic "dream" profession?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Trust me, it's not.

I'll second that.  Granted that I am greedier than most, but I am also confident that most students drastically underestimate the amount of money they will need/want once they enter the real world.

Here in MKE, for instance (where PCF and I both live), a decent house in a middle-class suburban neighborhood will run you $300,000 or so.  If you have $60k for a 20% down payment (which you got how?), then your mortgage payment is about $1,400 per month, plus $200 for taxes, so $1,600 total.  If you like to live in the city, a decent apartment will cost about the same.

Your $20k car gives you a car payment of $500 or so.  Electricity/gas bill - $150 per month.

Total so far:  $2,250 per month, and we haven't eaten yet, or taken out insurance, or bought gasoline or clothes.

And your 50k salary?  Figure 20% effective tax rate, so that leaves 40k.  Now take out $1,000 for insurance, $3,000 for health/dental insurance, and we are left with $36,000, or $3000/month.

After our fixed expenses, that leaves $750/month for food, gas, clothes, entertainment, travel - and we still haven't saved a dime for retirement.

That is doable for a single guy - but certainly not living the high life.  And add a wife and child(ren) to that, and 50k is basically starvation money.  You will be choosing every month between food and electricity.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:27pm
i think most students see the salary as a large amount of money because... realistically what are they doing for income right now?

part time job (usually) during the school year.  Classes take priority over any job when you're in school... at least that's how it should be.  and unless you bag a really nice job, you're not making any where near 40-50k a year. 

It's all about perspective.... my brother just got a job at a security company driving around in armored trucks and filling atms and all that jazz.  He said his first paycheck was basically double that of what he was making at his full time, pretty good position shopko job.  Is he making 100k a year?  hell no, but when he got that first paycheck, he said that he felt like he had a ton of money to spend now.  Again, he's in a decent apartment living with his fiance and a friend, so his rent and utilities aren't incredibly expensive... but still.

It may not be enough to live the good life, but it's a pretty good starting point

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

It may not be enough to live the good life, but it's a pretty good starting point

Agreed - and I think that's the key.  $50k is (a) a good starting point and (b) a respectable amount of cash for a single guy living the simple life.

What it is NOT is enough money to raise a family in comfortable surroundings.

My experience has been that students have a tendency to focus far too much on the starting salary, and not nearly enough on the 5-10 year earning expectation.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:49pm

50K in Texas goes a whole lot further lol. You can get a really nice house here for about 150K, and if you look in the country, you can get a nice house with about ten or fifteen acres for about the same.

I'd like to hit around 100K a year, which is about the most my profession will ever top out at. 50K is a minimum to leave comfortably around here, but I realize it's alot more in other places.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

50K in Texas goes a whole lot further lol.

Certainly true, and many other places as well.  Of course, in Manhattan 300k gets you a cardboard box.  You have to judge by local standards.

This tends to be reflected in salaries, though.  Almost all of the high-paying jobs are in/near big cities with high cost of living.  Incomes in rural areas are much lower.

These are of course also things to consider when choosing a career.  Don't plan on being a hot-shot investment banker while living in Broken Bow.

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:28pm
tool and die in a nuke plant or PI military development
and/or engineer in above locations

part time college professor in math, engineering, or industrial tech.

once i have enough money to comfortably retire or have earned a pension then high school votech teacher. or full time prof.

possably my own company which would be cool too but it depends on how 100hr work weeks sound at that point in my life...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 3:38pm
something in computers because i'm sure it pays well

unrealistic: trapeze artist
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
thebuickguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebuickguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 3:50am
well 40,000 a year starting off hmmmmm tell me how many jobs offer that also if you had a wife and kids how can you afford to go to college and feed a family ?

Edited by thebuickguy - 17 November 2007 at 3:51am
Tippmann A-5 SAW stock E grip
J&J Ceramic APEX tip
Spyder AMG J&J Ceramic
Tippmann 68 Carbine J&J Ceramic APEX tip
Tippmann Prolite
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 9:09am
quite a few actually...

I can't tell if you think most jobs offer more or less... I'm assuming less.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 10:18am
Originally posted by thebuickguy thebuickguy wrote:

well 40,000 a year starting off hmmmmm tell me how many jobs offer that also if you had a wife and kids how can you afford to go to college and feed a family ?

That's actually a pretty low standard for college degree requiring jobs, unless you decide to work for the state.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 10:53am
Realistic- Pharmacist

A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 4:53pm
Realistic:  Space Pirate.
scrumsguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrumsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:23pm
I want to ba a firefighting police officer who can fly, even in space
Help support the Youth In Asia!

Member Of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:35pm
Realistically: I'd like to be a lobbyist or campaign manager for state and congress politicians.

Unrealistically: Again, an extremely well paid high-school teacher.

Edited by Gatyr - 17 November 2007 at 5:36pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 6:11pm
Realistic: Embassador to the UN

Unrealistic: Giant Robot Pilot
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I want to be a jump qualified sniper and then go JTF-2.

Just need to get the ol' PT up to snuff and it'll be a reality in 2-4 years.

Muwahahahahahaha.

Dude, you sound like this kid I taught on BMQ last year.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 6:54pm
play baseball for the detroit tigers as their starting 1st baseman......

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:17pm
Personal trainer of celebrities
Personal trainer of professional athletes
Head of weight training for a college football team

pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:36pm
I want to be Rick Rubin.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by pb125 pb125 wrote:

I want to be Rick Astley.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic