Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Begginer Best All-Arround Marker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Begginer Best All-Arround Marker
    Posted: 01 October 2007 at 11:43am
Hello everybody. Last sunday we had our fist paintball match. We where 8 against 8. We played 3 diferent scenarios:

1) two teams fought to get 3 flags on the middle of the field. 1 team was on a fortress, the other in a ruined house.

2) one team would defend a trench in the middle of a wood, and the other would try to capture it.

3) 12 "houses" village, one team tries to capture it, while the othe defends it.

It was very funny, we played both sides each scenario, 6 matches of about 15 mins each.

Now, we want to buy markers, and masks. We where recommended trippmann, so here i'm, asking for help.

We don't want to go "pro", at least not at first, just to have fun from time to time. We would be playing on different terrain, as in plain land, woods, "villages", etc.

We don't want to spend more than 100 in the marker, unless there is a really good reason.

Is it the Triumph XL a good marker? Is there anything else we should consider?

About masks, what is a minimum starting point? 50? 100? I have seen cooled masks for 90 dollars in my country, which normally is double or triple the cost in USA.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: some of us are leftie.

Edited by kwanbis - 01 October 2007 at 11:44am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 12:22pm
The triumph series of markers are pretty decent. They're a recent addition to the Tippmann family and don't see as much use here in the USA due to the fact that the Model 98, and A-5 have been around for a very long time and are what most fields use as their rental markers.

The Triumph series are basically a model-98's internals put into a composite clam-shell body. The advantages are lower start-up costs, the center-feed body which eliminates the issue of being a "lefty" or a "righty" and the small, compact size which allows you to play both woodsball (where marker size is rarely an issue) and speedball (where you have to tuck in tight behind small bunkers and the smaller the marker, the better).

The disadvantage to the triumph series is that they are hard to, if not impossible to, upgrade from their stock format. If you spend a little more money and go with something like a tippmann model '98, there is no end to the upgradability your marker will have. You can go from the standard marker all the way up to a tournament-grade paintball marker simply by using the right upgrades.

As for masks, if you can get a hold of a tippmann power-pack, they include both the co2 bottle (unfilled) and a fairly cheap mask with the marker for one low price. While the masks are about as basic as they come, they'll at least give you something to play with until you decide you want something better.

Most people on the board will suggest buying as high-end a mask is one of those things that you get what you pay for. All current paintball masks will keep your face safe, but most of your low-end ones tend to form fog on the goggles very easily which makes it hard to see anything to shoot at. I personally suggest the JT "pro-flex/Flex-7" series of masks, or the V-Force "Profiler" series as I've never had any trouble with fogging on either of them. Mind you, they tend to run on the expensive side ($60-$80usd) but they're worth it due to easy of cleaning and the fact that they never fog. Some of the other guys on here have a better knowledge of lower-cost anti-fog masks that they can suggest.

Finally, welcome to the forums! Glad to see people all around the world becoming more and more interested in paintball! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and as always, have fun and be safe!

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 12:50pm
Thanks tallen702, you where really explanatory.

Any place where i can check prices, to decide what to buy?

I have seen that buy.com has the Triumph XL, a maintenance kit, a 9-oz tank, anti-fog goggles, and a 200-round hopper for 80 bucks, or the XT marker, a maintenence kit, a 9-oz tank, an anti-fog mask, and a 200-round hopper for 110.

EDIT: or what prices should i expect to pay for the triumph line, and the A-98?

Edited by kwanbis - 01 October 2007 at 12:51pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 1:07pm
From the prices I've seen online either at Amazon.com, or Buy.com tend to have the power-packs (goggles, hopper, mask, and tank) from $130-$160 depending on whether you get the ACT (Anti-chop technology) version or the original one. ACT is basically a spring-system in the bolt that will keep you from "chopping" a ball if it hasn't dropped into the chamber fully before the firing cycle starts. This keeps paint from getting broken in the breech and barrel as easily and can improve the quality of your game since paint in the breech or barrel with cause grave inaccuracy.

It's not a bad price really, seeing as how a few years back it would have cost you around $200 for the same deal.

Actionvillage.com has about 26 different packages in a range of prices for the 98/a-5/x-7 lines of markers:
Link

Shop around for a bit, and definitely check out E-bay as you can get some great deals there as well!

kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 1:54pm
the prices i have seen on buy.com are around 80-110, don't know if they include ACT.

It looks like ACT is very helpful, right? Do you know if it can be added to the triumph?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 2:18pm
No, unfortunately it can't. The prices I posted above were the prices for the model '98 w/o act and with act. The triumph is going to be in the 80-100 range depending on the model. If you go with the e-series triumph, it will go higher since it is an electronic trigger system.
kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 4:36pm
so, there is no triumph with ACT then. mmm.

So, if you where to spend 200 in a marker, with all included and a mask, what would you get? I want it simple and "dumb proof" as possible. I don't care about upgrades because i would rahter sell and buy new if i like better.

If i get the 80 dollars mask, i have 120 for the marker.

If i get the 60 dollars mas, i have 140 for the marker.

I really want it to be as "less maintenable" as possible, as we are not experts.

Edited by kwanbis - 01 October 2007 at 6:03pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 6:15pm
Mask: Link

It's "Thermal" (two lenses with dead air-space between them) so it will never fog on you.

Marker:
Link

It has ACT and the standard markers come with a gravity fed hopper

CO2 Tank:
Link

That was something like $40+$140+$30 = $210 and supposedly it's free shipping on all orders over $75. So, spend the extra $10 and get a 20oz tank which gets you 500 shots per tank, get the '98 w/act as it is probably the most durable and easy to repair marker in the world, and a decent no-fog mask.

kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 9:22pm
thanks a lot.
kwanbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwanbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

The Triumph series are basically a model-98's internals put into a composite clam-shell body. The advantages are lower start-up costs, the center-feed body which eliminates the issue of being a "lefty" or a "righty"

sorry, does that means that the 98 has issues for lefties? or it would work as good as the triumph?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 12:24am
The 98 uses a right-hand side hopper elbow which puts the hopper a bit in front of you if you're a lefty. It can be fixed by purchasing a center feed kit for the marker. It's an annoyance at worst for lefties, nothing truly detrimental as aiming down the sights on most paintball markers isn't necessary.

In all seriousness, I think you'll be happy with either series of marker you go with. Go with what fits your budget and seems right to you. After all, it is YOUR purchase and you are the end user, not me.

Now, if you wanna see something that will possibly blow your mind, watch some of the videos at http://www.one4one.tv You haven't seen anything yet. Mind you, some of the videos do have some explicit language (in english) so you may not want to blast it from your speakers if you're at work or whatnot.

Edited by tallen702 - 02 October 2007 at 1:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic