Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guy gets tasered at University Of Florida

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guy gets tasered at University Of Florida
    Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:34pm
Anyone else see this?  I didnt look for any news articles on this but found these 2 videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqAVvlyVbag&mode=related& amp;search=

Thoughts?
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:39pm
Top read story on Foxnews.com this morning. The kid shouldn't have tried to fight the cop. The police over reacted by forcing him off the mike. Especially when Kerry said he wanted to answer his question.

Edit: In watching other camera's from the same thing. The kid was not exactly behaving.

Edited by Da Hui - 18 September 2007 at 12:41pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:50pm

Wow...tough one. I think the police were way out of line, especially since he was already on the ground with five cops on top of him.

Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:51pm

He resisted so I can't say that the taser wasn't called for although a bit extreme it seems...

Why did tehy force him off the mic, he said he wanted to answer the question?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 12:56pm
Simple fact of the matter was police followed protocol, and he was being belligerent and resisted arrest.

He was told several times to put his hands behind his back. He was told to leave the auditorium. He was told he would be tased if he did not comply.

He resisted arrest and kept pushing back against the cops, and pulling away whenever they grabbed him.

He also cries like a baby well before he's tased.   "HELP HELP HELP!"

*PS.. careful with the second video, it has the F-bomb.

Edited by Linus - 18 September 2007 at 12:59pm

GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:04pm
so whale how did it feel?
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:16pm
While I do think the student was generally being an attention whore for his actions, the police stepped over the line by using the taser.

Of course no sort of reprimand will come for it, as that part of Florida is a member of the 'good ol' boys' network where cops just don't have to be held accountable for their actions.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:33pm

Meh, being tasered isn't THAT big of a freakin deal.

So you lose control of your muscular functions for the time it takes law enforcement to subdue you for being a dope-stick.

It sure beats having to fight you to the floor.

I think zapping perps should be more of a SOP than it is.   

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:34pm
Again, you resist arrest and police are allowed to step up their use of force to combat that resistance.

Beats the hell out of using a nightstick and possibly losing a few teeth... or even pepper spray.

Rather be tased then pepper sprayed... tasing is very short.

Edited by Linus - 18 September 2007 at 1:36pm

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

So you lose control of your muscular functions for the time it takes law enforcement to subdue you for being a dope-stick.

Spoken directly from somebody who has never been tazed!
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:37pm
After thinking about it for a bit I feel that he was pretty obnoxious on the mic, but couldnt the cops tell him to calm down before just caring him away even after Kerry said he would answer the question. 

As for the taser, I didnt find it to be that big of a deal that they tasered him because they did need to arrest him after pulling him away.  I just thought maybe the entire thing could of been avoided if the police handled it a little better when he was on the mic.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Spoken directly from somebody who has never been tazed!

I like how you jumped to that assumption. Its cute.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 18 September 2007 at 1:46pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

While I do think the student was generally being an attention whore for his actions, the police stepped over the line by using the taser.

Of course no sort of reprimand will come for it, as that part of Florida is a member of the 'good ol' boys' network where cops just don't have to be held accountable for their actions.

the police came nowhere near crossing the line when they used the taser.  they told the guy to put his hands behind his back, he continued to struggle and resist.  the time of the arrest is not the proper time or place to resist.  let them arrest you, then if they dont have a case, you'll be released. 
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:47pm
pntbl, the cops asked him multiple times. They told him to put his hands behind his back and that he was under arrest. When they moved toward him, he pulled away, effectively resisting arrest.

When they kept going for he, he kept pulling away, and when they finally got him to the door, it looks to me like he charged back toward the stage (video quality isnt that good)

SO they were justified.

And Da Hui, speak to any officer who has been both tased and sprayed in training and they will say they would take the taser over the spray anyday... taser is just a few second long, while the spray last for days and is in your hair and the pain happens again whenever you take a shower.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:52pm

As painful as it is to admit it, Linus is right.

Along with having been tasered, I have also had the distinct pleasure to be moderately exposed to pepper spray, and not the stuff that they sell to consumers either, the concentration that Law enforcement uses.

The momentary discomfort of the taser was MUCH more preferable than the prolonged effects of the pepper spray.

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 1:57pm
John Kerry probably just wanted to inform him that we never invaded Iran.
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:24pm
It's better than being pepper sprayed. 10% OC is no fun. I made a thread on me being pepper sprayed.

Edited by impulse! - 18 September 2007 at 2:28pm
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:29pm

Yeah, it's paining me as well.

I hate to be open about being conservative about things, because I hate feeling connected to certain conservatives I know, but the escalation of force was probably justified, based on what I can tell.

In high school a friend of mine tasered 3 different people (seperate days/times/places/etc.). He was one of the coolest but scariest people I knew at the time.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Yeah, it's paining me as well.

I'll take a back handed compliment anyday.

Plus, kind of hard to be wrong when this is the stuff you're going to school for.

Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:36pm
My concern and decision on the matter will be withheld until I hear the rest of the story, or see more video. If he was already detained when he was tased, that is a no-no. If he was still flopping, I am less at ease about them using it, but it is not as bad. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic