Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guy gets tasered at University Of Florida

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:39pm
The camera angles are shoddy, but it appears that he was continuing to resist the cops.

Also, with so many spectators (witnesses), I doubt police would have shocked the guy without justification. Have any eye-witnesses made any statements about whether or not the guy was acting out of line when they brought out the stun-gun?
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I've got more of a problem with them pulling him off of the mic than them tasering him....how the hell was that justified?
Exactly. After they grabbed him he was resisting arrest, but why were they arresting him?

when the video begins, security is already very close to him. I'm just guessing, but he may have been causing disruptions during the whole event.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:05pm

I've got more of a problem with them pulling him off of the mic than them tasering him....how the hell was that justified?
Exactly. After they grabbed him he was resisting arrest, but why were they arresting him?
At first it didn't appear he was being arrested, but the cops were trying to remove him from the room. But they could have just as easily been arresting him for disorderly conduct/ disturbing the public, I don't know.

But when he pulled away, that's a no no. It became resisting arrest.

And when they had him on the ground he was still fighting to get up and away (You can see his arm flailing by the cop just before he gets tazed)

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:30pm
lol pwnd
xteam View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:33pm
R.I.P free speech.

we barely knew you.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:02pm
as much as i loved seeing him get handled like that. i think it was slightly overboard. he isnt a big guy. one cop, two max was all that would be needed to toss him out of there. so i'm gona say cops went over board and they'll get in trouble. my favorite video this week though.
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

At first it didn't appear he was being arrested, but the cops were trying to remove him from the room. But they could have just as easily been arresting him for disorderly conduct/ disturbing the public, I don't know.

But when he pulled away, that's a no no. It became resisting arrest.

And when they had him on the ground he was still fighting to get up and away (You can see his arm flailing by the cop just before he gets tazed)

I agree that once he pulled away and started screaming he had crossed the line. However, when he was asking the question (I am under the assumption the floor was his and he was allowed to be there) shouldn't he be allowed to say whatever he wants? The police were awful quick to put their hands on him.

But I think Shub may be right on this one, he could've been a nuisance already. It's hard to make an assessment without all the details.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:58pm
Chances are, the reason why the officers were waiting behind him was because he already caused a problem, and a superior officer gave the go ahead to arrest him, which is why they intervened in the middle of the question.

I am sure he was told multiple times to leave, at which point is why the officers went hands on.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:29pm
There could be may more to that, but the fact still stands he wasn't crazily unruly.

He was on the mic being loud at most. Anything worse and they would have removed him sooner.

Why didn't they just cut the mic?

As he's being dragged away Kerry is like "that's alight"

Where is the rest of the footage.

My Ruling: Completely positively UNCALLED FOR!!!

The man was on the ground pinned by 5 cops. Moving around granted, but that's what many people getting arrested do.

Time to watch the second video.

EDIT: Second Video makes it even more uncalled for. He was obviously not doing anything ridculously wrong, or he would have been taken down before he entered.

Originally posted by Youtube Video Info Youtube Video Info wrote:

I couldnt get to my camera in time to record his entrance, but this guy basically comes running in with 4 or 5 cops in tow and says he has been running around trying to get in to ask a question and the cops are going to arrest him for it

If they allowed him that much time to speak they should not have even taken him down, let alone taser him. He did nothing wrong in either video.

Edited by jmac3 - 18 September 2007 at 8:34pm
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:34pm
Jmac... you can't use an episode of COPS to determine what many people do when arrested.

In my experience, many people that are arrested, are yes, angry and questioning, but they don't resist because the average person knows resisting just make it worse during the course of the arrest and an extra charge or 2 later.

I have no doubt they will be exonerated from any wrong doing... atleast legally.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:38pm

Jmac... you can't use an episode of COPS to determine what many people do when arrested.

I've seen people arrested many times without watching Cops. I have never seen anyone tasered.

Point stands.
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:44pm
Point does not stand... most people when arrested aren't pinned to the ground.

The ones pinned to the ground are the ones resisting arrest.

Yes, there were cops all around him, which is all the more reason a taser was used: It is a controlled device.

If they used a baton, it could have caused serious injury.

If they used pepper spray, not only the assailant would be effected, but so would the police and the rest of the civilians in the room.

The taser was the best choice for the situation: Getting an uncooperative suspect in a room full of innocents cooperative without un-due risk of danger to anyone.

Edited by Linus - 18 September 2007 at 8:45pm

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

how is less than lethal not non-lethal?

Not lethal is something that will not cause death. Although similar sayings, less than lethal weapons do have a potential, although in some cases very small, to kill someone.

so they're hopefully not lethal... or most likely not lethal...

Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:45pm

The taser was the best choice for the situation: Getting an uncooperative suspect in a room full of innocents cooperative without un-due risk of danger to anyone.

Unless the person simply was not a threat in the first place.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:46pm
He deserved it. The cops told him to put his hands behind his back, or he would be tazered. He didn't put his hands behind his back, so he got tazered. Fair warning, the kid is an idiot tool bag.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:50pm
I know people aren't pinned when they are cooperative?

The fact is that he didn't do anything wrong to lead to getting pinned on the ground. His resisting is justifiable. Adding a taser to that is ridiculous, as he was subdued.

Isn't the point of all less than lethal weapons to bring down a suspect?

If you're going to tell me the taser was to control him I laugh at you. All it did was make him yell and flail more.

There was no need for any weapon, because as I said before he didn't do anything. No need for any before footage.
Que pasa?

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

Unless the person simply was not a threat in the first place.

Thank you. He was not a threat, caused no one any harm.
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

The fact is that he didn't do anything wrong to lead to getting pinned on the ground.

Resisting arrest isn't just enough to be pinned?

Quote His resisting is justifiable.

Resisting is NEVER justifiable.

You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. Go to jail and fight it in court, not on the street. You'll just get in more trouble and WILL be found guilty.

Quote Adding a taser to that is ridiculous, as he was subdued.Isn't the point of all less than lethal weapons to bring down a suspect?

No, the point of an LTL weapon is to make an un-cooperative suspect comply to your demands without risk to yourself.

And no, he was NOT subdued.. his arms were still flailing and he is still trying to get away. Did you watch the same video as everyone else?

Quote If you're going to tell me the taser was to control him I laugh at you.

That is the EXACT point for the taser... a control method.

Quote No need for any before footage.

That's just an ignorant statement and the same thought process that lead to the Rodney King riots.

Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

He deserved it. The cops told him to put his hands behind his back, or he would be tazered. He didn't put his hands behind his back, so he got tazered. Fair warning, the kid is an idiot tool bag.

Wow, something Ced and I agree one... scary.

Edited by Linus - 18 September 2007 at 9:00pm

heliumman77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heliumman77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 9:00pm
Linus your brainwashed cause you want to be a cop. That was so uncalled for he would of calmed down if they waited for Kerry to answer his question. Honestly I don't like cops they just have to much authority for what they do most of the time. Which is usually stereotyping teenagers and not letting you express your opinion he would of been harmless if he just was left alone and got his question answered. It's like that stupid sagging pants law cops aren't doing go by that or anything they are supposed to be doing. Sorry if this is weird I have a major cold right now and am tired as heck.
Mephistopheles View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
DELETED!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mephistopheles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by xteam xteam wrote:

R.I.P free speech.

Oh please. Hippie propaganda garbage. Free Speach goes out the window when you are in disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace, which is what he was doing.

There is a line you don't cross at a public forum. He crossed it. Everybody else in the history of ever gets their shot at the microphone, why don't you say they have dead free speech? Because it ain't dead! That's why. Everybody else gets the protocol. You step up, ask your question, and be happy with the politician's fake answer. That's how it works.

As soon as you abuse the mic and go off on your rant and go all rabble rabble rabble, you blew your chance. You blew it. If you can not control yourself and your emotions then sit in the corner with the dunce cap on. You earned it. That mic is not yours and you don't get to use it as loud as you want with as many questions as you want.

He would have had no problems. But he was disturbing the peace, and then when asked politely to leave resisted arrest. Then when more officers on him he resisted even more. Then when on the floor continued resisting. He reaped what he sewed! End of story. I don't blame the cops for using the taser as it wasn't an abusive or prolonged use. A short burst to get the job done. And he cried like a little female-dog too! I've been shot with tazer guns, cattle prods, etc. A friend even has it on film, funny to watch. Yes they are quite effective but not enough to make me cry with sand in the fuhgina. It's not THAT bad in a prolonged effect. Seconds later I was quite fine.

This is nothing close to police brutality or excessive force. This is not a case the ACLU needs to even worry about, they can help Larry Craig. We still have our Illusion of Freedom. The only problem AT ALL was one dumb hippie who crossed the line but thinks everybody else is at fault.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic