FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guy gets tasered at University Of Florida

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Meh, being tasered isn't THAT big of a freakin deal.

So you lose control of your muscular functions for the time it takes law enforcement to subdue you for being a dope-stick.

It sure beats having to fight you to the floor.

I think zapping perps should be more of a SOP than it is.   

I think this guy's family will disagree with you there.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

I'll take a back handed compliment anyday.

It's usually the most I'll hand out.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:52pm
MBD, every single death "caused" by a taser was because there were either drugs present in the suspects system, or they had a medical condition, such as the case you noted.

Edited by Linus - 18 September 2007 at 2:52pm

Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:53pm

MBD, every single death "caused" by a taser was because there were either drugs present in the suspects system, or they had a medical condition, such as the case you noted.

I believe that's true - but it doesn't make them any less dead.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

I believe that's true - but it doesn't make them any less dead.

Exactly.

Police need to be careful when they use their new toy, as they can kill people.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:59pm
SO you want police to administer a health screening test to everyone before they deploy the taser?

"Sir, I understand you want to get away from us as fast as you can, but we just need to makes sure you don't have any under-lying medical conditions and are not on any drugs at the moment"

Does it suck that they die? Yea.

But they should A) Not be doing drugs and B)Not run from police in the first place.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:01pm

Does it suck that they die? Yea.

But they should A) Not be doing drugs and B)Not run from police in the first place.

I am not arguing the effectiveness of the taser at all. I am simply saying that they are far and wide overused, and it has led to death.

On the second point, police have accountability too, simply because a suspect is doing something illegal, police do not have the right to open the floodgates of wrath.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:05pm
True, MBD, that's why they go through months of training and get the departments protocol bashed into their head.

The police DO have the right AND duty to do what is deemed necessary and reasonable to stop the criminal, however.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:08pm

True, MBD, that's why they go through months of training and get the departments protocol bashed into their head.

The problem with tasers comes with the "new toy" process. I am afraid that cops are going to start relying on them far too much, and begin using them even when they are not needed in the situation. Such a problem has been documented in Orlando.

The police DO have the right AND duty to do what is deemed necessary and reasonable to stop the criminal, however.

Right, but again the whole question here is what exactly is necessary and reasonable. What may seem it to one my not seem it to the other.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:15pm

Normally I almost always side with officers in situations such as this, but here I have to disagree. A taser should be viewed with the same respect as a firearm-a last resort weapon that should only be used if human force fails. It would seem to me just by watching these videos (and I could be wrong) that these officers simply didn't want to struggle with restraining this man, so they dumped one into him to make it easier. Again, I could be wrong, but this just seemed like lazy police work. My dad took down bigger and crazier than that guy bare handed (not bragging, just saying).

Horsepower View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Warning: Fail is closer than it seems!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:18pm
That was a bit excessive, he was on the ground they clearly had him.

As for so what if someone has a health issue and dies from a taser, its not that simple.It's supposed to be non-lethal so if it ends up killing someone they might of well have shot the person.

Edited by Horsepower - 18 September 2007 at 3:19pm

Come Get Some !
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

My concern and decision on the matter will be withheld until I hear the rest of the story, or see more video. If he was already detained when he was tased, that is a no-no. If he was still flopping, I am less at ease about them using it, but it is not as bad. 

you can see in the video, especially the second that he is still struggling.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Horsepower Horsepower wrote:

It's supposed to be non-lethal so if it ends up killing someone they might of well have shot the person.

No, it is not supposed to be non-lethal, it's considered less-than-lethal.

A firearm is meant to kill, no exception. Police are trained that if you are going to shoot someone, it has got to be to kill them, no injuring shot.

A taser, and pepper spray, and OC gas, are considered less-then-lethal because they can still kill, but are a stop block between using your hands and using a firearm, giving an officer MUCH more leeway in what they can do to resolve a situation.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 4:38pm

What about the cop in Toledo, Ohio that decided to taser the guy 9 times, or even in the jail in that county which had a similar episode. Regardless of current health problems...it was absolutely 100% the fault of the police officers.

It's scary when people take the black and white stance on issues. Some people say..cops are never wrong, others say cops are always wrong. Even though police are needed, I hate to announce this, but they are not all perfect angels that can do no wrong, much like our military.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:10pm
I've got more of a problem with them pulling him off of the mic than them tasering him....how the hell was that justified?

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:12pm
how is less than lethal not non-lethal?
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:14pm
If police departments are going to keep tasers as issued equipment, they need to do a better job at teaching officers how to use them properly. Although since they are less than lethal and the cop could be seen as justified, it doesn't make what happened right in every situation. I've seen unjust situations that resulted in somone being tased as well as just situations that resulted in an officer being too aggressive with the taser, and because of the idea of being less than lethal, it almost makes it more dangerous than a pistol.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

how is less than lethal not non-lethal?

Not lethal is something that will not cause death. Although similar sayings, less than lethal weapons do have a potential, although in some cases very small, to kill someone.

jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:25pm
Hey. They told him if he didn't stop resisting he would be tasered. Hell, he even knew it was coming when he said "Don't taser me bro". If he knew it was coming he should have stopped and just went with the arrest and complained later on for a false arrest.
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I've got more of a problem with them pulling him off of the mic than them tasering him....how the hell was that justified?

Exactly. After they grabbed him he was resisting arrest, but why were they arresting him?
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic