FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russia Made A Bomb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 1:32am

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Or how about making an ass of yourself saying someone is wrong when they aren't...?

When I stated "these bombs" I thought it was clear I was talking about both the MOAB of the US and the new fuel-air one of Russia, and how they are meant for conflicts like those seen in Afghanistan and Chechnya, so my bad for not being clear enough.

I had a reply written out but I decided not to post it.

The thing is linus, you have the debating skills of a 4 year old.

You are acting like a prick

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 1:33am
And yet you're the one using name calling when I prove myself right... that makes a WHOLE lot of sense.

Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:23am

What does it matter how big the explosion, when it cannot be aimed in any (apparent) manner? Much less the fact that it is delivered by a gigantic flying target, flying relatively low and slow compared to it's foriegn counterparts?

Honestly, the bigger blast means nothing to me, beacuse, if America really wanted to, we could drop a guided missle THROUGH putin's living room window. I would not doubt we could do about the same with a nuclear or thermonuclear device. (even if you "miss" with a nuke, the target still has a fairly good chance of going down. [sarcasm noted])

Most importantly - People suck.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 4:21pm
Because this is a bit of a waste of argument space.

No one here knows how well the Russian weapon can be aimed. There are a couple of heavy payload, guided parachute systems around, so it's perfectly acceptable to think that any or all parachute deployed weapons can be guided to their target as they need to be.

It wouldn't be too hard to have a drogue chuts slow the weapon and stabalise it for a long frop, to have the delivery 'chute deploy at lower altitudes.

Coupled to the fact that none of us know for sure what the the Russian bomb was loaded with, the arguments of payload are also moot. The MOAB uses a fairly conventional mix of RDX, TNT, and aluminum. Nothing to write home about there. If the Russian weapon is indeed a FAE weapon, it will have a bigger bang because of the way FAE's work.

I'm honestly suprised they got the FAE concept to work with such large quantities. Everything Iv'e read said it simply shouldn't.

On the "We iz da Gratest!" USA Airforce chant, well, they're not. They don't have the most time in the cockpit. This was reported widely a while ago, th average time for a USAF pilot per year is 200 hours. INDIA give their pilots 250 hours per year....

The F22 is, on paper, a fantastic aeroplane. Just don't try fly it over the international date line. This calls for a two week down time while they upgrade the software. IF they forgot something as simple and elemental as that, what else are they forgetting? There also aren't that many of them on the planet. Whats it, one squadron?

No one here knows the survivability of a BlackJack, but I'm willing to bet it's at least an order of magnitude heigher than that of a C-130.

But then comes the next moot point. None of these weapons are designed to be used against echother. They have both been developed for use in conflicts where one side has air superiority and needs to worry about things like creating caps in cover, creating gaps in minefields, destroying "dug in" infantry in either mountains or urban enviroments, and to "shock and awe" an enemy they'd have to go in and get on foot.

KBK
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 5:27pm
someone cap this.
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 5:56pm

And yet you're the one using name calling when I prove myself right... that makes a WHOLE lot of sense.

That doesn't make you NOT a tool. Srsly, ignore people, man.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 6:02pm
In b4 double negative.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 6:11pm

If I read correctly, their bomb is a fuel-air bomb, while
our MOAB is a conventional bomb.

Also, I didn't see how it was guided... is it a dumb bomb, GPS, laser?

But ours is still bigger.

The article itsself stated otherwise.

Originally posted by The Article The Article wrote:

The report said the new bomb was much stronger than the U.S.-built
Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb -- MOAB, also known under its name
"Mother of All Bombs." "So, Russian designers called the new weapon
'Father of All Bombs'," it said.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 7:52pm

Thing is, if Russia was going to hit the US/Canada/any NATO nation, with that, they would just use a Nuke anyway. Any Country on this earth is not going to use a Nuke or fuel-air bomb unless abseloutely necessary, in which case, why not do as much damage as possible.

Plus, that article stated that the weapon is mostly designed for use where one does not want the 30 year span of radiation left behind. Why not leave the land untouchable for your enemy?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Thing is, if Russia was going to hit the US/Canada/any NATO nation, with that, they would just use a Nuke anyway. Any Country on this earth is not going to use a Nuke or fuel-air bomb unless abseloutely necessary, in which case, why not do as much damage as possible.

Plus, that article stated that the weapon is mostly designed for use where one does not want the 30 year span of radiation left behind. Why not leave the land untouchable for your enemy?

Mutual assured destruction.
Destruction View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 10:53pm
Quit talking bad about his jets
u dont know what to do ur getting mottor boatted

Men are from Magmar, women are from Venusaur.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

If I read correctly, their bomb is a fuel-air bomb, while
our MOAB is a conventional bomb.

Also, I didn't see how it was guided... is it a dumb bomb, GPS, laser?

But ours is still bigger.

The article itsself stated otherwise.

Originally posted by The Article The Article wrote:

The report said the new bomb was much stronger than the U.S.-built
Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb -- MOAB, also known under its name
"Mother of All Bombs." "So, Russian designers called the new weapon
'Father of All Bombs'," it said.

Wow, are you really THAT ignorant on this matter?

"Air Blast", as I have already stated, does NOT mean "fuel air".

Our bomb, the MOAB, is a CONVENTIONAL bomb that is blown up JUST ABOVE the ground as to make sure the majority of the energy isn't used in making a big hole.

Their bomb is a FAE, or Fuel Air Explosive, where the first charge detonated dispersing the fuel, and the second charge ignited the fuel, making the explosion.

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

No one here knows how well the Russian weapon can be aimed. There are a couple of heavy payload, guided parachute systems around, so it's perfectly acceptable to think that any or all parachute deployed weapons can be guided to their target as they need to be.
True, they are around, but so far from what I've read, their bomb is much like our old daisy cutter--- a dumb bomb that relies HEAVILY on the precise placement of the aircraft.

Quote It wouldn't be too hard to have a drogue chuts slow the weapon and stabalise it for a long frop, to have the delivery 'chute deploy at lower altitudes.
Again, true and I have never said any different.

Quote The MOAB uses a fairly conventional mix of RDX, TNT, and aluminum.
It's called H6.

Quote On the "We iz da Gratest!" USA Airforce chant, well, they're not. They don't have the most time in the cockpit. This was reported widely a while ago, th average time for a USAF pilot per year is 200 hours. INDIA give their pilots 250 hours per year....

You're saying we're not the best SIMPLY because they have 50 more hours, but something you have to keep in mind is this:   They have fewer pilots and fewer planes. Our pilots have less of actual cockpit time because we have more pilots to do the flying.

Also, it's NOT simply time behind the stick... a lot of a pilots training is also in simulation, PLUS we have them doing active combat sorties.

I'd much rather have a war veteran of 200 hours then some guy that's never dropped a bomb in combat with 250 hours.

Quote The F22 is, on paper, a fantastic aeroplane. Just don't try fly it over the international date line. This calls for a two week down time while they upgrade the software. IF they forgot something as simple and elemental as that, what else are they forgetting? There also aren't that many of them on the planet. Whats it, one squadron?

1) Not just on paper, in realily.

"In June 2006 during Exercise Northern Edge (Alaska's largest joint military training exercise), the F-22A achieved a 144-to-zero kill-to-loss ratio against F-15s, F-16s and F/A-18s simulating MiG-29 'Fulcrums', Su-30 'Flankers', and other current front line Russian aircraft, which outnumbered the F-22A 5 to 1 at times."

2) And where on earth did you get the 2 week downtime idea in your head? It was 48 hours. And hell, we had 60 years to prepare for Y2k, things like that happen and get overlooked, but corrected quickly.

3) Way more then just 1 squadron... there are about 100 already built.

Quote No one here knows the survivability of a BlackJack, but I'm willing to bet it's at least an order of magnitude heigher than that of a C-130.

And no one has said any differet, and there is no reason to: A C-130 is a cargo plane while a BlackJack is a strategic bomber.

Quote But then comes the next moot point. None of these weapons are designed to be used against echother. They have both been developed for use in conflicts where one side has air superiority
It's not a moot point, it is EXACTLY the point I stated.

Edited by Linus - 17 September 2007 at 12:17am

Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:30am
Linus was a bomb expert in the marines. 
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:35am
Yea... you should use your miraculous "front and center" skills and check out EOD school sometime.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:48am

Yea... you should use your miraculous "front and center" skills and check out EOD school sometime.

They let you play with bombs during your week?
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:02am
Actually, we made MRE bombs well before I went to basic.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:03am

Actually, we made MRE bombs well before I went to basic.

That is where the explosive expertize came from.

Gotcha.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:07am
Funny... when I'm right, both you and carl resort to personal attacks.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:10am

Funny... when I'm right, both you and carl resort to personal attacks.

Yea... you should use your miraculous "front and center" skills...

lol
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:13am
Eye of the beholder... who are you to say I wasn't being serious in saying you should check out EOD school? Watching bombs blow up all day is fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic