Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yet another newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pvcHook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvcHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another newbie
    Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:07pm

Hi all,

Quick round of hello to the board members. I've played woodsball and interior PB several times over the span of the last 10-15 years and I finally decided that it was time to say goodbye to rental equiment and get my own setup.

A friend of mine put up his equipment for sale, so I decided to buy it from him. Because I was used to the maintenance-free use of rentals, I never got into knowing a marker's innards and the proper care and maintenance that goes with it.

Anyway, this is what I purchased:

-Tippmann A-5, double trigger, regular and Flatline barrell
-Q-Loader with 5 100-round pods and pod harness. This works especially well for me, as I am a southpaw player and the A-5's hopper gets in the way
-Crossfire HPA 4500 psi tank,
-Pure Energy regulator
-CP Drop forward (don't remember the brand) 
-CP Rear velocity ajuster
-JT Spectra thermal goggles w/ fan

I will play the rest of the season with the marker's current setup, but there are tons of mods I am burning to do on this marker - I'm a big fan of milsim mods and upgrades, so the first thing I'd like to do is get rid of the drop forward and go remote. Is that a wise move with an HPA tank? I realize these tanks are much bigger than CO2 tanks and might be bulkier on your back. What's your word of advice on this? Besides the remote, what else do I need? can I leave the Pure Energy regulator in place and hook up the remote from there? I'll post pictures later, as I'm sure it'll be easier for you guys to answer my questions.

Heh. I feel like there's so much I need to learn. Nontheless, it's an awesome sport and I'm glad to have joined this board!

*edit*

Added some pictures of my setup:

A-5 w/ Flatline and HPA tank:

Closeup of CP Drop Forward:

Pure Energy regulator:

Rear Velocity adjuster:

Edited by pvcHook - 14 August 2007 at 2:39pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 2:10pm
10-15 years and you now decide to buy something!!! Wow. I would say keep it as is and don't waste money on just looks, but it's your choice.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 3:11pm
Performance > looks, IMO.
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 4:24pm
You're off to a good start. I would recommend trying to find a stock ASA if you want to go remote. All you'll need to do is remove the drop forward and attach the stock ASA. The remote will work fine with your HPA tank. You'll want to look into a 4+1 harness, so you can carry your extra pods and tank. If you want to go milsim, by all means do so. I would recommend looking into a 12-14" barrel first, to replace the stock barrel and give you another option besides the Flatline. Personally, I would go with a JJ Ceramic.

Check out www.opsgear.com.

Edited by sinisterNorth - 13 August 2007 at 4:24pm
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 12:56am
Welcome to the forum. Since you like milsim, opsgear and specops are good places to go for upgrades but make sure you check a couple of sites before buying as prices will vary quite a bit depending on what you're looking at. I usually check about 5 different sites before I buy anything. If you go to scenario games, a vest might be a good investment. I got a blackcell modular vest from specops and I love it. It's well made and since it has MOLLE attachment points on the front I can rearrange stuff however I want. If you don't go to scenarios often or you don't usually carry anything other than paint and air then a 4+1 harness would get the job done fine. Also, what size is your tank? I used to run a remote way back when I was still using my 20oz CO2 and aside from occasionally getting snagged on stuff it was great having the tank off of the gun. I'm actually considering a remote setup again since I have the vest and my 98 weighs a ton with all the stuff I have on it.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 4:25am
you're off to a good start.  i'd play around first and see what upgrades you need, before buying anything.  When you get a remote set-up, i'd suggest getting a stock with it.
X
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 9:05am
Originally posted by barn_user barn_user wrote:

Performance > looks, IMO.
pvcHook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvcHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:40pm
Updated first post with pics.
Nuclear View Drop Down
Guested 9/6 Racial Slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:45pm
It's your gun, if you feel it preforms fine, go for the cosmetics, I am looking to get a folding stock and a drop forward for my gun, it will add looks and preformance.
salami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 5:06pm

great start, im digging the qloader mounted like that, cool stuff

from going to field rentals to that rig, wow, like doing a complete 180

what size is that HPA tank, 68/4500 Im assuming? also, i doubt your friend would sell you a out of date hydro but what is your tanks date? just a heads up most tanks are 5 years retesting but some are only 3 years and a good field actually checks for this and whatnot, not to mention its the law to have your tank properly hydroed when its supposed to and use it,  just a heads up now that you have HPA which is way better than co2, you said you didnt have to worry about gun maintainence before and thats part of owning your own HPA setup, and yes they are bigger in diameter,

brings me to the next part you asked....

a good vest and a remote line IMHO is a good idea but each to his own, you can have a 90 degree remote line nipple installed on that regulator and drop that ASA and drop forward completely, or you can just remove that drop and go with the ASA on the bottom of the grip, either way works just fine but if your going to want to keep the tank ever on the gun its just as easy to add it back on, dont get rid of it, hang on to the drop just in case

finally, if you opt for a stock that rear velocity adjusters gonna have to go, sorry but im pretty sure theres no stocks out there with a way to utilize a rear adjuster, someone might be more up on whats out there and can correct me but your probably gonna have to delete that... lots of fields frown upon those anyways, IMHO its not worth the hassle in having one

you pretty much got the rest of it seems, good luck

Edited by salami - 14 August 2007 at 5:15pm
pvcHook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvcHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 8:15am

The HPA tank is indeed a 4500psi, but I'm unsure of its ci value. How can I find this out? Here's a pic of the tank:

Also, there's a test date of 2004 on it, so I guess I'm still good for a couple of years? What happens after that? Do I need to get a new tank, or have it tested?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 8:47am
That looks like a 68/4500. If it's a 3 year hydro, then it needs to be tested this year. If it is a 5 year, it needs it in 2 years. You have to check a chart on it. Someone can link you.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 3:17pm
Yeah, it looks like a 68 ci but it may be an 88 ci, hard to tell from a picture. Also, I think that date is when it was last tested which would mean it needs to get tested every 3 years since the original date was 2001. That also means that you're due for testing again next month if I'm not mistaken.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
netramakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 10:58pm

Sweet first marker!  

"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2007 at 12:08am
Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

Yeah, it looks like a 68 ci but it may be an 88 ci, hard to tell from a picture. Also, I think that date is when it was last tested which would mean it needs to get tested every 3 years since the original date was 2001. That also means that you're due for testing again next month if I'm not mistaken.

You're mistaken.

The 10915 means it is a 5 year Hydro....and the rehydro 2004 date at the bottom means that it is fine for another 2 years.

Nice Setup.

Should do you fine for what you do. The Milsim "furniture" can get a bit expensive...especially the Spec-ops stuff.
Check the boards that have a Buy/Sell/Trade area. I recommend:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com
Warpig
Milsim Empire <---by far the best for Milsim

I don't recommend PBNation because of the idiots, thieves, and morons that run rampant on that site. Ebay also has a bunch of milsim stuff for sale. Just be careful...if you have any questions...you can PM me or check us old timers out at:
Chairborne Rangers
RLTW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic