FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High Times for the CA State Legislature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by White o Light White o Light wrote:

Originally posted by BooksAndLeaves BooksAndLeaves wrote:

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 6:31pm
Link

In case the article doesn't load/expires.

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

Hamilton man gets 30 years in crash death

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) A Hamilton man convicted of causing a fatal crash here while he was high on marijuana has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.

In June, a jury convicted Patrick E. Sayers, 29, of felony vehicular homicide while under the influence and three misdemeanor counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

Court records say Sayers had smoked about two bowls of marijuana when he struck Michael Mickelson, 26, on Feb. 15 at the intersection of U.S. Highway 93 and Miller Creek Road. Sayers' three children were in the back seat of his pickup truck at the time.

Sayers' attorneys requested a 20-year sentence with 10 years suspended.

However, District Judge Ed McLean followed the recommendation from prosecutors and gave Sayers the maximum punishment allowed Wednesday. The sentenced was based on Sayers' driving record over the past 12 years, which included numerous convictions for driving without a valid license and driving with a suspended license.

Mickelson, also of Hamilton, was turning left onto Miller Creek Road when Sayers swerved around traffic, through the intersection and into the passenger side of Mickelson's car at about 50 mph.

The impact pushed Mickelson's vehicle off the road and onto the median. He suffered major head trauma and died a short time later.

BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 7:24pm
even though it probably did, you can't say him being high was the reason it happened. he's gotten his license suspended in the past.

plus, you have to ask yourself how the issue of driving on weed is a good argumentative factor against legalization. chances are driving under the influence would be outlawed anyway if it ever became legalized. of course people wouldn't necessarily oblige, but alcohol is still legal
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 7:28pm
It seems to me that in situations like that, the mention of marijuana is to add to the impact, not really to explain it.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 3:18am

even though it probably did, you can't say him being high was the reason it happened.

I didn't say it was.  I just linked to this because someone said there were no instances of being stoned on pot linked to accidents.  Additionally, using the logic that I "can't say him being high was the reason it happened" could be applied to alcohol as well.  I.e. Well, yes he had a point-one-four BAC, but that wasn't necessarily the reason for the accident.  Maybe he was just an idiot."

he's gotten his license suspended in the past.

And it didn't say it wasn't for driving while high. 

plus, you have to ask yourself how the issue of driving on weed is a good argumentative factor against legalization.

I think it's a lame argument against legalization.  I just tossed this into the conversation for the reason mentioned earlier.

chances are driving under the influence would be outlawed anyway if it ever became legalized. of course people wouldn't necessarily oblige, but alcohol is still legal

True, and I believe in really harsh punishments for anyone who drives under the influence of anything.  If someone wants to get bombed, blitzed, or zoned out from not sleeping for 48 hours, that's their business.  When they drive in that condition, and put others at risk, then it's society's business.

BooksAndLeaves View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guested, Binary F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksAndLeaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

even though it probably did, you can't say him being high was the reason it happened.

Additionally, using the logic that I "can't say him being high was the reason it happened" could be applied to alcohol as well.  I.e. Well, yes he had a point-one-four BAC, but that wasn't necessarily the reason for the accident.  Maybe he was just an idiot."

the things is, when you take into consideration how rarely it occurs that a car wreck happens and pot is the only thing present on the scene or their system, that "logic" of mine isn't that unreasonable.
01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 1:58pm
I hear that weed is actually what killed Kennedy. 
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

I hear that weed is actually what killed Kennedy.

No its the reason why he drove off a bridge

Edited by CarbineKid - 11 August 2007 at 2:10pm
obnoxious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 4:37pm
U.K.'s Transport Research Laboratory actually did a study on Marijuana's effect on a persons ability to drive. They concluded that because the individual who was high on the substance was fully aware of how much less control he had, he was able to compensate by following safer driving procedure, whereas those affected by alcohol are usually unaware of how bad their coordination is off. Now I do realize that driving under the influence of anything should be banned, but I also believe the marijuana use in many car crashes that are publicly exposed didn't have a major part in the outcome, but are used as a ploy to explain why the driver might have been hindered.

Edited by obnoxious - 11 August 2007 at 4:38pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 6:57pm
And the evidence presented by the news media is often a little lacking. Was it a school bus driver who got jailed for getting into an accident then failing a mandated drug test? You can fail a drug test for a month after smoking, a drug test is no way to prove that pot caused an accident.

Potheads get a bad wrap from society, but knowing now what well to do adults still smoke in my community, I feel bad for thinking less of some other people and have to wonder if the war on drugs, and social pressure isn't part of the cause of their being bums. My grandparents generation loved to get hammed drunk, but they didn't understand drugs, considering the misinformation of the time. That inability to understand drugs led to quite the painful generation gap. I certainly don't think it's harmful enough to warrant the amount of harm law enforcement can inflict on you in some states and that the opposition is basically against getting high and has nothing to do with health.

I've seen worse withdrawls from cola and coffee than pot.

Edited by rednekk98 - 11 August 2007 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic