FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Texas being dumb, second act.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas being dumb, second act.
    Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:51pm
Link

A couple of points.

1) This is why I am a member of the ACLU. If anyone ever asks me why I donate to them every year, I think I will just print off this page as a prime example.

2) Can we just do away with pledges? They are quite silly if you really think about it. Maybe it is just me, but I don't see the point in daily ritualistic reminding that yes, I am American.

3) I propose we use Texas as a holding area for the Christian right in America. Give them the entire state, let them run their own government just like they want, right out of Leviticus. All sane people can move out. I will let Gatyr sleep on my couch, whatever. This would let the rest of the country advance in all the ways that having the Christian right around is holding us back.

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:55pm
Not all of Texas is bad.

I was watched a news report yesterday that some border city there conducted all of its city business, including council meetings in *gasp* Spanish.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:02pm
Yeah. Because, you know... Putting everyone that believes in living a Christian life in Texas wouldn't be fifty times worse than the "offenses" that non-christians feel are placed on them. 

Note: This is not in reply to this situation in particular, just the general dislike of all Christians that seems to be the norm nowadays.  I mean; when a Christian stands up for their beliefs/values, they are being preachy and pompous, when anyone else talks about how christians shouldn't be allowed to preach or speak in public, they're upholding American values.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Yeah. Because, you know... Putting everyone that believes in living a Christian life in Texas wouldn't be fifty times worse than the "offenses" that non-christians feel are placed on them. 

Note: This is not in reply to this situation in particular, just the general dislike of all Christians that seems to be the norm nowadays.  I mean; when a Christian stands up for their beliefs/values, they are being preachy and pompous, when anyone else talks about how christians shouldn't be allowed to preach or speak in public, they're upholding American values.
Most Christians i know think God gave them a right to rule the U.S. and call me the un-American one.  They say i am an anarchist and against freedom and that i need to leave this Christian country.  Also, do you think that maybe there is reason for this general dislike of Christians? 

Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:11pm
FYI: Mankind's way of life doesn't = Christian belief. While most Christians believe that, believing something doesn't make it correct.

How about keeping your religious beliefs to yourselves?
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:12pm
1) If you don't want to say it you don't have to.

2) I never said the Texas pledge last year, never got in trouble.

3) Saying a couple words won't hurt you.
Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

Most Christians i know think God gave them a right to rule the U.S. and call me the un-American one.  They say i am an anarchist and against freedom and that i need to leave this Christian country.  Also, do you think that maybe there is reason for this general dislike of Christians? 

Your location says Great Britain, how could you be un-American?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:13pm

Nobody said put. I said give.

We should give them the state. They would jump on the opportunity to run their own country.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider Ghost-Rider wrote:

Because everything your read on the internet is true....

I am only 14 and even I know that.

Edited by Hades - 02 August 2007 at 2:14pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

It is the principle of the matter. It is not simply "saying a couple of words won't hurt you."

Pledges make no sense to me, at least not daily ones.
Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost-Rider Ghost-Rider wrote:

Because everything your read on the internet is true....

I am only 14 and even I know that.

Was trying to point that out smart one.Never said it was true.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

It is the principle of the matter. It is not simply "saying a couple of words won't hurt you." Pledges make no sense to me, at least not daily ones.

Then don't say it.

But why should the ACLU, a minority, be preaching it's ideas on what Christians, a majority, should or should not say?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:21pm

But why should the ACLU, a minority, be preaching it's ideas on what Christians, a majority, should or should not say?

Because what the Christian right has done is imposed something that stretches to everyone, not just Christians, and done it through the government.

Why not keep the Texan pledge secular, and just let Christians add in the God if they want to?
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:21pm
I can only wonder the response if this pledge were to be changed to "one State over Satan."

This is not a minority/majority issue, duh.

This is an issue of forcing your religious beliefs onto someone else which is protected against by the first amendment.

Edited by Hades - 02 August 2007 at 2:23pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I can only wonder the response if this pledge were to be changed to "one State over Satan."

Or Buddha, or Vishnu, or FSM, or Cthulhu,

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:24pm

Because what the Christian right has done is imposed something that stretches to everyone, not just Christians, and done it through the government. Why not keep the Texan pledge secular, and just let Christians add in the God if they want to?

Does a kitten at the ACLU HQ die every time God is mentioned by the government?

Why not keep God in and let the non-Christians NOT say God if they don't want to?

Oh right, it IS like that already....

Edited by Linus - 02 August 2007 at 2:24pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:26pm

A metaphorical kitten, yes. God is not supposed to be in the government. End of story. Dot.

Why not keep God in and let the non-Christians NOT say God if they don't want to?

They are going to put God in the state one. They are adding him in now.

Please read the article.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:27pm
Plus if God loves the United States so much, why does he allow events like 9-11, Oklahoma Bombing, WTC '93, pearl harbor, and the Kennedy assassination happen? Is it because the Federal Government isn't paying its tithing?

Yeah, if this Government is "so Christian" why doesn't it pay tithing?
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:28pm

Because what the Christian right has done is imposed something that stretches to everyone, not just Christians, and done it through the government. Why not keep the Texan pledge secular, and just let Christians add in the God if they want to?

Oh right, it IS like that already....
Did you read anything in this whole thread?  Really, I want to know.
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 2:29pm
MBD, I know they are putting him in, I did read the article. You just failed to grasp what I was saying so I'll spell it out.

You said why not keep it out and have people put it in if they want.

I said why not keep it in and have people take it out if they want. Because they deiced to put it in.

Got it now?

Sorry I guess we should remake all of our money, the Oath in court, our founding documents, etc etc.

Edited by Linus - 02 August 2007 at 2:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic