FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Texas being dumb, second act.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by djrox djrox wrote:

The aclu is bad, they sued Hazelton, PA for banning illegal immigration.

First off, your statement of facts is incorrect.

That aside - so because the ACLU is engaged in a few lawsuits that you don't like, you declare the entire organization "bs"?  That's a rather broad brush.

Perhaps you should look into what else the ACLU does.  Did you know, for instance, that they occasionally collaborate with the NRA?

Edited by Susan Storm - 03 August 2007 at 1:44pm
"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

That aside - so because the ACLU is engaged in a few lawsuits that you don't like, you declare the entire organization "bs"?  That's a rather broad brush.

Perhaps you should look into what else the ACLU does.  Did you know, for instances, that they occasionally collaborate with the NRA?

Matter/Anti-Matter reaction, lol?
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

The aclu is the biggest bunch of bs out there.

Mindless word vomit.

No, when you defend sex offenders right to be sex offenders, then yes that is bs.

You should probably look up exactly what the ACLU is doing in each of these cases, and not just spout off what AM radio tells you to.

The ACLU is defending sexual offenders who, and here is the kicker, already served their time in prison and have repaid their debt to society.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:11pm

Perhaps you should look into what else the ACLU does.  Did you know, for instances, that they occasionally collaborate with the NRA?

Exactly.

The town statue imposed a fine on employers and landlords who dealt with illegals, which was a pretty scattered attack on the Supremacy clause and the 14th amendment.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:19pm

I'm proud of being a card carrying member of the ACLU. Standing up for civil rights, sometimes on either side of the party line, is always fun.

Whale, what do you think about the whole sexual offender thing? How do you feel about requiring them to register even after their debt is paid?

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:22pm
Unless it is included in an offenders original sentence, there should not be future/ add on punishments.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by God God wrote:

Unless it is included in an offenders original sentence, there should not be future/ add on punishments.

I can easily look up all the offenders living within a mile from my house, but I have no idea how many drug pushers, buglars, or murderers are living close by.

Wow, this is off topic. To get back on topic, "under God" should be removed from the pledge if the pledge is mandatory. "In God We Trust" should be removed from our currency as soon as possible.

Edited by Dune - 03 August 2007 at 1:25pm
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:29pm

I can easily look up all the offenders living within a mile from my house, but I have no idea how many drug pushers, buglars, or murderers are living close by.

That is because the politicians and celebrities do not want you to know where they live.

Every one already knows that if your looking for a pedo just head to your nearest confession booth.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:31pm

Originally posted by God God wrote:

Every one already knows that if your looking for a pedo just head to your nearest confession booth.

Count it!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:31pm

I'm proud of being a card carrying member of the ACLU. Standing up for civil rights, sometimes on either side of the party line, is always fun.

Whale, what do you think about the whole sexual offender thing? How do you feel about requiring them to register even after their debt is paid?

I am ok with registration.

I am not sure how I feel about registration. I think that for certain levels of the crime, registration is not a bad idea. AKA, if the victim was under the age of 12, or something along those lines.

However, public access and exploitation of that registration is a bad thing.

Forced door-knocking is a bad thing, as well as legalized harassment from neighbors including banners, fliers, eviction lynchings, etc.

Also, a town about a half mile from my college, Oviedo, attempted to put some huge radius around things like schools, parks, and places like that, where sexual offenders could not live. The problem is that there was no place allowed to live. The circles covered the whole town, forcing anyone who already lived there out.

That much I don't like. I was glad the ACLU stepped in and helped get that struck down.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:33pm

To get back on topic, "under God" should be removed from the pledge if the pledge is mandatory.

No pledge is mandatory.

I never said the pledge in school, and was threatened with expulsion because of it, but I still never said it.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

To get back on topic, "under God" should be removed from the pledge if the pledge is mandatory.

No pledge is mandatory.

I never said the pledge in school, and was threatened with expulsion because of it, but I still never said it.

I still don't like it in the pledge, but it seems to be a loophole if people don't have to say it. Personally, I'd like to see it omitted.

I'm pretty much still against registration. Especially for those people that have served their time, since we don't enforce the same rules for other crimes.

Edited by Dune - 03 August 2007 at 1:35pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:37pm
Well, in my personal opinion, pledges in general are silly.

Why do I need daily reminding that I am still an American?

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:43pm

Yeah, its an odd subject. I think the whole currency thing is a no brainer though.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:49pm

Yeah, its an odd subject. I think the whole currency thing is a no brainer though.

And a completely non-complicated process too. It doesn't have to be immediate. Simply take it off the new bills as you put them into circulation to replace damaged and destroyed ones.

There is a push right now to get people to sharpie out "In God" on the money, and see how many they can get into circulation.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

And a completely non-complicated process too. It doesn't have to be immediate. Simply take it off the new bills as you put them into circulation to replace damaged and destroyed ones.

There is a push right now to get people to sharpie out "In God" on the money, and see how many they can get into circulation.

That's pretty funny. I guess it's easier than trying to get Jackson's face off the $20.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:56pm
On a separate note....

...I am surprised how quick it takes something to decirculate. When is the last time you got a old style $20?
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 3:14pm

That aside - so because the ACLU is engaged in a few lawsuits that you don't like, you declare the entire organization "bs"? That's a rather broad brush.

Perhaps you should look into what else the ACLU does. Did you know, for instance, that they occasionally collaborate with the NRA?

My personal feeling aside....So what exactly does the ACLU do for the 2nd Amendment?       
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 4:21pm

Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

My personal feeling aside....So what exactly does the ACLU do for the 2nd Amendment?       

The NRA and ACLU have gotten together on several occasions.  They wrote a joint rant to Clinton complaining about a bunch of things back in 94, for instance, ranging from Ruby Ridge and Waco to self-defense laws in general.

More recently, the ACLU joined the NRA to resist recent law changes in Texas that would make it more difficult for gun owners to travel with their weapons.

There are others.  A quick search for ACLU and NRA should give you several hits.

Truth is that most of what the NRA does is consistent with the ACLU's policies.  It's just that the ACLU doesn't have to focus on the 2d amendment so much, because the 2d amendment has its own special group.  The ACLU would rather focus on 1st/4th/5th amendment issues than say "me too" whenever the NRA does something.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

The NRA and ACLU have gotten together on several occasions. They wrote a joint rant to Clinton complaining about a bunch of things back in 94, for instance, ranging from Ruby Ridge and Waco to self-defense laws in general.

More recently, the ACLU joined the NRA to resist recent law changes in Texas that would make it more difficult for gun owners to travel with their weapons.

There are others. A quick search for ACLU and NRA should give you several hits.

Truth is that most of what the NRA does is consistent with the ACLU's policies. It's just that the ACLU doesn't have to focus on the 2d amendment so much, because the 2d amendment has its own special group. The ACLU would rather focus on 1st/4th/5th amendment issues than say "me too" whenever the NRA does something.

From the ACLU
"We believe that the constitutional right to bear arms is primarily a collective one, intended mainly to protect the right of the states to maintain militias to assure their own freedom and security against the central government. In today's world, that idea is somewhat anachronistic ..."
Sorry Clark the ACLU is not pro-gun rights. I don't see them doing a think about the DC handgun ban, or any other of our beloved goverments attempts to disarm us. They did not raise a stink over the AWB of 94 or San Fransiscos handgun ban. The ACLU picks the parts of the Bill of rights it feels suits their leftist ways. They are all for the 1st amendment, but they do forget about the 2nd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic