FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photography questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photography questions
    Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:43pm

Since Stealth doesn't like me enough to answer me, I'll put them up here.  Of course, he could just be writing a novel in answer to my questions, in which case, thanks Stealth.

I'm starting to do some amateur photography, and I came up with a few that I need help with...

I don't have any labs near me to develop film, so I need to get it done at a local store.  What size would be best to have them developed in for showcasing in something like an internet portfolio type of thing, if I scan them on?

Is there any good way to file your negatives so that I can easily correspond one filed online to the negative it belongs to?  If that makes any sense...

Im sure I'll have some more in the future, but thats it for now.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:48pm
I did answer you.

Peen.

Check to make sure your box isn't full.

Edited by *Stealth* - 29 July 2007 at 1:48pm
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:52pm

Heheheh....

It was.

Why do you always have to be right?  Peen.

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:06pm
For a showcase? 8 X 10.
holysmartone View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike- language in posted image 6/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Since Stealth doesn't like me enough to answer me, I'll put them up here.  Of course, he could just be writing a novel in answer to my questions, in which case, thanks Stealth.

I'm starting to do some amateur photography, and I came up with a few that I need help with...

I don't have any labs near me to develop film, so I need to get it done at a local store.  What size would be best to have them developed in for showcasing in something like an internet portfolio type of thing, if I scan them on?

Personal recomendation. What I do is get just a picture cd made of what I take. Then I look at them on my computer and pick the ones that turn out good and I want. Those are the ones I take back to get printed. You get charged by the print, so if you get pictures that dont turn out, its a waste of money because they usually still print them.
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:49pm
This is gonna turn into a peenfest.
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by holysmartone holysmartone wrote:

Personal recomendation. What I do is get just a picture cd made of what I take. Then I look at them on my computer and pick the ones that turn out good and I want. Those are the ones I take back to get printed. You get charged by the print, so if you get pictures that dont turn out, its a waste of money because they usually still print them.

Good point, I forgot they had those.  Well, if I saved a picture off of the CD, doctored it in Photoshop (which I still don't have, but will be needing) and saved it to a card, would I still get good quality pictures if I used one of those Kodak kiosk things to print my pictures?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:43pm

Good point, I forgot they had those.  Well, if I saved a picture off of the CD, doctored it in Photoshop (which I still don't have, but will be needing) and saved it to a card, would I still get good quality pictures if I used one of those Kodak kiosk things to print my pictures?

No, most people dont realize it, but the quality and size of the images on those photo cds is complete crap. I have a really good scanner, so I scan my negatives, and use my really good printer to print it. I get better quality prints than you do at the store. But if you have to take them to the store, get the cd, preview, take the negatives to the person behind the counter, and tell them what ones you want printed. If you have a really good printer, and scanner that can scan negatives, that is really the best way of doing it. Plus, its way cheaper.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:50pm
Well, I have a really nice Cannon inkjet, so thats okay for now.  I am lacking a scanner, so what do I have to look for to see if I can scan negatives?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 5:45pm

Well, I have a really nice Cannon inkjet, so thats okay for now.  I am lacking a scanner, so what do I have to look for to see if I can scan negatives?

On doing a google and checking out HP's website, it seems that even their cheapest model of scanner can do negatives. Go to best buy and take a look around, somewhere in the description it should say "scans negatives and slides" or something similar. Also, pick up some photo paper. Makes a huge difference.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 6:09pm

On doing a google and checking out HP's website, it seems that even their cheapest model of scanner can do negatives. Go to best buy and take a look around, somewhere in the description it should say "scans negatives and slides" or something similar. Also, pick up some photo paper. Makes a huge difference.

Allright, thanks for all your help.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:09pm
Digital photography for the win. No more trips to the store just to get some pictures developed. Also, you can send the pictures via internet to a store and they will print them out the size you want.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:12pm
Eh... I dunno, im partial to the wet process film, its more romantic? Probably not the right word, but if hes serious about this, he can get a scanner that will be specificaly for his developed negatives, with that software he can develope, push and pull all of his prints, can do whatever he wants really.

I think either ilford or cannon makes it.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:24pm
I don't have the money for a photography-worthy digital.  I fell into a 20 year old completely manual action Pentax, so that's what started me with this.  So, I guess now all I need is Photoshop and a negative/slide scanner.  I'm not too anxious to go blow a couple hundred on photoshop, so Im going to try and look for an older version.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2007 at 7:27pm
Ah a manual pentax...

I completely fell in love with one of those. I used to take it with me on bike rides and into DC all the time. I loved it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic