Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask A Lawyer Anything

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Next, if a cop smells marijuana smoke in your car when you are pulled over, is that enough to search your car? A cop has to have reasonable doubt, but it seems that a cops "nose" would be easily arguable in court.Lastly, if pulled over and I decline a search, can a cop legally hold me to bring the "dogs" to search my car. Thanks in advance

The part I erased is Cali PC crap, you'd have to find CA's motor vehicle bible.

If a cop smells marijuana smoke that is enough to establish probable cause and initiate a search. Officers are trained in recognizing the smell of marijuana and lets face it, it's a very distinct odor as well.

If you are pulled over and decline the search in order to use the K9 unit the K9 unit must arrive during the duration of the normal traffic stop. You cannot be held after the stop is completed in order to allow time for the K9 unit to arrive.

I'm stealing thunder, but I believe I nailed it.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:53am

Originally posted by NotDaveEllis NotDaveEllis wrote:

At what point in your life did you realize what you want to do? The road you've traveled isn't a quick one and just seems like something only for the slightly insane and dedicated.

I decided on law school at a fairly early age.  The specifics got ironed out later.  But law school is generally known as the grand proscratinator - a very large portion of law students are there on a whim.  This because it - like business school - doesn't really have any prerequisites, but it tends to appeal to academics more than bizschool.

A lot of people end up in law school because they don't know what else to do.

The real dedication issue arises after law school.  The attrition rate at large firms is very high.  Most people tend to change their mind after a few years.  Me, I'm addicted.

Sammy - I hate to disappoint, but I have absolutely no idea on your auto specifics.  Those are Fourth Amendment details, and you need a DA/defense attorney, or a Highway Patrol officer to help you.  I can give you the basic theory of search and seizure, but auto stops and searches is its own specialty, and there are guys that do nothing but that.

EDIT -  but I agree with Dave that a smell of mj is almost certainly sufficient probably cause to warrant a search.

Edited by Rambino - 21 July 2007 at 12:54am
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 1:25am
Alright thanks for both of your guys' help.
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Originally posted by cdacda13 cdacda13 wrote:

What do you Major in during College?

I tripled.  Psychology, Philosophy, and Mathematics.

Thats almost what I plan on trying too do.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 4:58am
Did you give the guy from Dal a job?

My uncle is a pretty substantial lawyer. When he was younger had represented someone up in the Canadian arctic. Has your job taken you anywhere interesting?

Edited by Hitman - 21 July 2007 at 5:01am
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 9:51am

Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

Did you give the guy from Dal a job?

???

Quote Has your job taken you anywhere interesting?

"Taken", in a travel sense?  Thanks to email and FedEx there isn't as much travel as there used to be.  And I work almost exclusively on domestic projects anyway.  But I have been going to Las Vegas every few weeks for the last couple of years.

Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 10:26pm
[/QUOTE]

"Taken", in a travel sense?  Thanks to email and FedEx there isn't as much travel as there used to be.  And I work almost exclusively on domestic projects anyway.  But I have been going to Las Vegas ever few weeks for the last couple of years.

[/QUOTE]

Business or pleasure?
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 10:35pm
Also, even though Rambs is the lawyer with the shiny degree on his wall I do know that an officer can detain you at the scene long enough for dogs to show up. This is because he is then able to say that he did everything possible to ensure the safety of the driver and all others on the roads. Also, it helps him scoot past needing to wake a judge up to get a warrant. Your declanation to allow a search is more than enough reason for him to search the car anyways. It's basically assumed that if you have nothing to hide, you would let them search the car. Thus, if you say no then they assume you are hiding something and can search the vehicle. Basically, whatever an officer can see is what he can take from your car. So if you have a beer bottle that was tucked under your seat but it rolls free, he then has permission to go in and grab it. After doing that, he can look arround the emediate area and if he sees anythign else suspicious then he can grab that too. It's like a leap frog process.

Same thing works for your house. If you are having a party and the officer can see beer from your doorway he can walk in and get it and search the surrounding area. If he can't see anything but asks to see your I.D. and you say something stupid like 'Oh it's upstairs' then he can follow you arround the house.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 10:37pm
Can the firm some how hook me up with a WDP gun? 
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 10:52pm

Snipa - excellent point.  Sometimes taking full advantage of your "rights" is not the best plan.  You can always tell cops "no", but that isn't always a good idea.

PCF - I wish.  I have been dropping not-so-subtle hints at the IP guys for years now.  No luck.  They don't want to hint at WDP.  And also - they must have dozens of Angels and Shockers in various stages of disassembly piled up in boxes that they won't give me.  Total waste.

bjelder33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjelder33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 11:06pm
Can you identify this amateur sketch of a forum member

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 11:22pm
Tell them that yourself and myself would be more than happy to help re-assemble the markers... and take them to do some field testing.

karll View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Extra "L" for sale. PM with offer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Tell them that yourself and myself would be more than happy to help re-assemble the markers... and take them to do some field testing.

Wait so the people you work for have several high end markers just sitting in boxes? And you work for a law firm? What am I missing?
PlentifulBalls "It's cool, I'll be dead before I'm not pretty."
Gatyr "Stupid things exist."

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 3:07am

Everything is better with bacon. Better yet - wrap your food in the bacon.

Is this something taught in law school?

I'm a greedy bastage.

Not a question, just nods for using the term "bastage". I figured I was the only forumer who has ever seen Johnny Dangerously.

Edited by Shub - 22 July 2007 at 3:08am
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by karll karll wrote:

Wait so the people you work for have several high end markers just sitting in boxes? And you work for a law firm? What am I missing?

I second that. I think its a joke, though

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 2:49pm
I am looking at getting a car. I have a price limit of around 15K. Personally I have either decided to get a 4x4 Truck (I actually use 4x4 alot, and would be well suited with a truck bed), or a small car for gas reasons. Should I get the gas hog truck or get the smaller car (something like a older Maxima or Corolla S).
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 2:53pm
Dude...Corolla S. Or wait a lil bit cause they are supposedly bringing back the XRS. I love my S though. 
bjelder33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjelder33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 3:28pm
get a motorcycle
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 7:19pm

Originally posted by karll karll wrote:

I have already made several offers to take these guns off their hands.

To fill in the rest - we represented WDP in the Smart Parts litigation.  For that matter, we also do work for WGP, Viewloader, BE, and the NPPL.  As a result of the SP lawsuits, numerous electronic guns were disassembled by our geek squad.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

I am looking at getting a car. I have a price limit of around 15K. Personally I have either decided to get a 4x4 Truck (I actually use 4x4 alot, and would be well suited with a truck bed), or a small car for gas reasons. Should I get the gas hog truck or get the smaller car (something like a older Maxima or Corolla S).

Get a small car.  Save the planet and your wallet at the same time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic