FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask A Lawyer Anything

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:24pm
classic...

I don't know what I would do if I walked into the bathroom and heard someone talking to themselves in the stall. 

I have noticed that you enjoy skittles... how many bags do you go through a day?  Is it dependent on your work load?  Is there a specific flavor of skittle that you find most beneficial to your productivity? 

and finally, are you as mad as I am that the soda machine price was raised 5 cents?

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:26pm
Is there a way to legally punish a turd burglar?

Also, about how hard is law school on a scale of 1-10?

Where did you attend law school?

And what made you choose to be an Lawyer?
Savage93fvss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage93fvss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:28pm
If you throw a dead oppossum on a teachers car off school property, at 11pm while driving, can a principal suspend you? And can a police officer charge you of reckless driving, disturbing the peace, and littering?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

How bad would I hate my life were I to become a Patent Lawyer?  I mean c'mon, all day every day dealing with Patents?  No horribly stressful, movie-esque murder cases that eventually lead my wife and I to a messy divorce?  No having the option to impregnate my sister so that my father, the Devil, will rule the world?  Where is the fun in that!?

Depends on what you mean by "patent lawyer". 

The guys that prosecute patents (i.e., obtain patents) live pretty sad-sack lives, but they do make decent cash.  Most large firms pay higher salaries for associates that are admitted to the patent bar.

But then there are the patent litigators.  These are the guys that handle the Smart Parts litigation, for instance, or the lawsuits between RIM and that other company.  Sexy stuff, lots of money, and the chicks dig it (or so I hear).

There are other varieties of "patent lawyer" as well.  The main thing if you plan on patent law is to get a technical degree in college - otherwise you won't be eligible for the patent bar.

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:33pm
what are your state's laws on Luchador vigilante mobs? and your personal views on roving bands of avenging luchadores?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I have noticed that you enjoy skittles... how many bags do you go through a day?  Is it dependent on your work load?  Is there a specific flavor of skittle that you find most beneficial to your productivity? 

My Skittles consumption varies quite a bit.  Usually I will buy a couple of bags, suck them down, then make myself hold off for a while.

My preferred variety are the Wild Berry Skittles, but they are all good.  I keep regular Skittles in my dispenser, since that seems to be the most popular among most people.

Currently I am boycotting Skittles, however, as they have contaminated all the bags with an awful test flavor - Carnival Candy Apple.

Quote and finally, are you as mad as I am that the soda machine price was raised 5 cents?

Yes, but only because of the obnoxious change result.  35 cents made for an awkward situation where you coldn't quite get 3 cans for a buck, and you got all different kinds of coins in change.  That was annoying.  Now, at 40 cents, it's actually worse, because it requires 3 or 4 coins to get pop.  Very messy in the change drawer.

I would almost rather they had gone to 50 cents - 2 quarters, easy change.  Of course, it would be nice if they had gone to 25 cents, like the Chicago office.

But hey - at least they finally added Mountain Dew.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Is there a way to legally punish a turd burglar?

Isn't the crime its own punishment?

Quote Also, about how hard is law school on a scale of 1-10?

Stress level: 8

Work level:  8

Difficulty in actually graduating:  1

A trained monkey can graduate from law school, unless it gets too stressed and just quits.

Quote And what made you choose to be an Lawyer?

I'm a greedy bastage.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:47pm

Originally posted by Savage93fvss Savage93fvss wrote:

If you throw a dead oppossum on a teachers car off school property, at 11pm while driving, can a principal suspend you? And can a police officer charge you of reckless driving, disturbing the peace, and littering?

No (although it won't stop them from trying).

Yes.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

what are your state's laws on Luchador vigilante mobs? and your personal views on roving bands of avenging luchadores?

Chapter 993 of the Wisconsin Statues are the criminal laws.  I quote Wis.Stats. 993.24:

"(a) Luchadores and ninjas are excempt from all criminal penalties set forth in this Chapter 993, for they are awesome.

(b) In order to maintain eligibility for excemption under clause (a) above, all luchadores are required to participate in no less than three (3) roving bands of avenging luchadores in any given six-month period." 

I figure the law got it about right.

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:18pm
On a serious note. Would you defend someone knowing that they have indeed comited a horrible crime?

Say a brutal murder of someone helpless?
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:25pm
If a cop wants to search my car, can I say no?
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:29pm
Should it be legalized?
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:35pm
Would you be willing to talk to a certain writer for a college paper whenever he needs a source who knows about your specific area of law? 
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

On a serious note. Would you defend someone knowing that they have indeed comited a horrible crime?

Say a brutal murder of someone helpless?

Part of the reason I decided not to go into criminal law was specifically to avoid moral dilemmas like that...

IMO, to be a good defense lawyer (or DA, for that matter) you either have to either be completely callous, or be completely and thoroughly on board with the constitutional principles (everybody is entitled to a defense, etc).  I don't see how you could live with yourself otherwise.

That said, there are middle grounds.  You might agree to represent a heinous criminal on the understanding that you will not pursue an aquittal, but merely assist with sentencing.  This becomes easier, morally speaking.

But actually trying to get Jeffrey Dahmer aquitted, assuming I thought him guilty?  That would be a tough one.  Don't know if I could do it.

FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

Should it be legalized?

LOL MARY JANE!

Edited by FlimFlam - 20 July 2007 at 1:36pm

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

If a cop wants to search my car, can I say no?

You can always say no.  Whether the cop has the right to search the car anyway is much more complicated.  But if you say yes, then whatever he finds is fair game.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

Should it be legalized?

As a libertarian, I say yes.  Nobody's business but yours.

As a utilitarian, I say yes.  Putting pot-smokers in jail is an unnecesary expense.

As a free-marketeer, I say yes.  Let the market decide.

As a law-and-order type, I say yes.  Legalizing pot (and other drugs) would severely undercut the main source of income for criminal gangs, which would severely reduce the influx of illegal guns, which would severely reduce gun crime and generally make the streets safer.  There might be an increase in petty theft and similar crimes, but that is a small price to pay for slowing down the gangs.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

Would you be willing to talk to a certain writer for a college paper whenever he needs a source who knows about your specific area of law? 

Any time.

Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:42pm
What kind of hours can I expect through law school as far as work load is concerned? What exactly is it that makes passing a bar so difficult (obviuosly a general answer is expected, as each state has it's own bar) and how long did it take you to pass the bar? 
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 1:43pm
what's you most strangest case?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic