FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask A Lawyer Anything

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:33am

Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Can I be charged with Disorderly Conduct for yelling obscenities at a drive-thru speaker? Earlier this week I was led to believe so by a police officer.

Depends on whether you were being disorderly.  But potentially yes.  Basically, if you are "disturbing the peace" (for instance, by yelling loudly in public), that could be disorderly conduct.

Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:33am
Well the food was from last night,it was good.....the aftertaste not so much...
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Can I be charged with Disorderly Conduct for yelling obscenities at a drive-thru speaker? Earlier this week I was led to believe so by a police officer.

Depends on whether you were being disorderly.† But potentially yes.† Basically, if you are "disturbing the peace" (for instance, by yelling loudly in public), that could be disorderly conduct.

Dodged a bullet then. :)

Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Everything is better with bacon.  Better yet - wrap your food in the bacon and consume the grease in milkshake form.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:46am
Do you ever make Procarbinefreak do random useless tasks for fun?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

If a client of yours is guilty of the charges being pressed on them, how hard is it to build a case if the other party probably has deciding evidence?

My clients don't have charges pressed, and I don't build cases, but I will make up an answer anyway.

If a case is truly a slam-dunk against you, you don't go to trial.  You settle/plea-bargain, or just plead guilty and bring up mitigating factors in your defense.  A trial where all the evidence is against you will just prejudice the judge when it comes to the penalty phase.

Quote A man comes home and there is a strange car parked behind his wife.  He comes in screaming, "Where is he, where is he?" checking ther closets in their home.  Shes pleading with him to "leave him alone" and upon opening the last closet, he finds a man hiding.  The husband flips the man out of the closet and punches him, getting about 10 punches in and the other man gets about one.  The husband leaves the home, and proceeds life on his own.  Is there a lawful fault in this story?

Several.  Adultery is illegal in several states, although those statutes are probably unconstitutional.  Assault and battery was almost certainly committed by the husband (although he could attempt a lame "I thought it was a burglar" defense).  Both the adultery and the battery will come into play during the divorce proceedings, and may affect alimony and child custody decisions.

Quote An adolescent kid is riding their dirtbike around in the fields of his neighborhood.  One of his neighbors shoves a 2x4 through his spokes, sending him flying and ending up with a broken nose among other scrapes, brusies, etc..  Years later, while maintaining a solid case with his active lawyer, he keeps being told that he cannot get the money he deserves because the old neighbor owns a business and he puts a high percentage of the money he earns back into the business.  Is this true that he cannot in fact get the money?

The 2x4 thrower clearly committed both a tort and a crime (except maybe in Texas, where you can often shoot trespassers if you feel like it).  Unless there are other facts, probably a slam-dunk lawsuit.

Collectability is more complicated.  Assuming a jury award of X dollars, which is more than the defendant has in the bank, the judge can force a variety of remedies.  In this case, the judge might force the defendant to transfer part (or full) ownership of the defendant's business to the plaintiff, or order the sale of the business, or order a certain percentage of future income to be handed over (the OJ solution), etc., etc. 

Bankruptcy makes it more complicated yet - the rules governing what types of legal obligations survive bankruptcy are complex.

And then there is insurance, of course.  Many people with a fair amount of assets carry personal liability insurance specifically to cover this type of thing.

Short version - it can get messy, but simply putting money back into the business does not get the defendant off the hook.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:54am

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Do you ever make Procarbinefreak do random useless tasks for fun?

Of course.  I tell Dick (PCF's boss) that I need a bunch of boxes moved from here to there and back, and I suggest to Dick that this would be a perfect job for the guy with all the funny faces.

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Is OJ guilty.

Also, if your at a public park and some of your friends are found drinking there. Your given a breathalizer and have B.A.C. of 0. Cop tells you not to go back to that park, and you do. It that breaking a law?

Was the park closed?
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 11:58am
pffft... I don't need you to keep me busy... you wouldn't believe some of the stuff.

Also, shouldn't you be working?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Also, shouldn't you be working?

Multitasking, baby - I am on the phone with a client right now, and drafting a presentation proposal as well.

This is activity number 3 or 4 for me at the moment.

EDIT - besides, I own this place.  I'll work when I feel like it.   :P

Edited by Rambino - 20 July 2007 at 12:01pm
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:06pm
Is having an erection in public a illegal or punishable offense?

What if your wearing a bathing suit or speedo?
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:07pm
How much cash would it take to get you to snap pictures of Procarbinefreak doing humiliating clerk tasks? And posting them all over the interwebz?
Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:07pm

What if your wearing a  speedo?

Oh man that would suck.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:07pm
do you have one of those sweet giant wireless headsets for your phone that I see a lot of other attorneys wearing?  and if so do you walk aimlessly around your office and sometimes into the hallway and often times make people walking in the hall think that you might be talking to them.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:12pm

What if your wearing a bathing suit or speedo?

Excellent question.  I have to have a junior associate research that.

Where should I send the bill?

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:12pm

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

How much cash would it take to get you to snap pictures of Procarbinefreak doing humiliating clerk tasks? And posting them all over the interwebz?

Hmm...

*makes Montgomery Burns face*

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

do you have one of those sweet giant wireless headsets for your phone that I see a lot of other attorneys wearing?  and if so do you walk aimlessly around your office and sometimes into the hallway and often times make people walking in the hall think that you might be talking to them.

Yes, yes, and yes.

And, unbeknownst to people on the other end, I occasionally go to the bathroom while on the phone.

Those things have awesome range.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:17pm
In Florida, it is against the law for minors to purchase and carry ciggarrettes, but not for them to smoke them. Why is that?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:19pm

In Florida, it is against the law for minors to purchase and carry ciggarrettes, but not for them to smoke them. Why is that?

If you are smoking a cigarette, aren't you pretty much by definition also carrying it?

But more generally:  state legislators are not the brightest bulbs in the closet.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:23pm
How bad would I hate my life were I to become a Patent Lawyer?  I mean c'mon, all day every day dealing with Patents?  No horribly stressful, movie-esque murder cases that eventually lead my wife and I to a messy divorce?  No having the option to impregnate my sister so that my father, the Devil, will rule the world?  Where is the fun in that!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic