FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You CAN snipe in paintball. Seriously.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You CAN snipe in paintball. Seriously.
    Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:54am

Not even joking. I played a game today, and got all buddy-buddy with one of the older regulars at the field. We got to talking, and, as he was on a scenario team, started telling good bushball stories. Some how or another, we started discussing strategies, and the subject of sniping came up. We shared agreement that being all sneaky and such is definately not our style of play, but he told me there was a scenario-runner-group-thingy (like MXS) that did have sniping. Now follow along, this is where it gets cool:

You can snipe, never make a sound, and make an elimination up to 300 feet away, perfectly straight. Heck, you don't even have to fire a shot! What it is, is a sniper character gets sniper cards, and those are like his ammo. When he finds a target, probably a high value target like a general or what have you, the sniper calls in the referee (via walkie-talkie or something like that) and points out the target to the ref. The ref then declares the target sniped and eliminated, and the sniper, now effectively out of the range of return fire, can slink off unseen and look for another kill.

IT WORKS! I wish I'd have thought of it when I was a newb. I'd have killed for that position.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:59am
That really does sound kind of cool would I want it probably but would I love to have it every game deffinately not.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 2:02am
Yeah, but that would only work for fields with alot of refs such as only a few large scenarios.

It is a pretty cool idea though. Im intrigued.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 2:04am
Well, it was originated for large scenario events. I wonder what would happen if I posted this on the SpecOps forum...

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 2:13am
So your not really sniping, so there really isn't "sniping" in paintball only roll playing.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 2:31am

*Role

But yeah. Kinda. You are fulfilling the exact same role as a sniper. Arguments?

Edited by DeTrevni - 15 July 2007 at 2:31am

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 4:52am
Wait, so now we're eliminating people just by pointing at them?

You mean i spent all that money on markers for nothing?
X
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 5:16am
Okay, I can counter that arguement too. It's simple really, the sniper (not in quotes this time 'cuz it's legit) probably has limited "rounds," if you will. It's not like he can go through the entire game like that. Plus, it's just one guy...

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 5:27am
...but still.  It's the whole concept of eliminating someone by pointing at them.  Might as well be a Wizard.

I understand the concept, i'm just playing devil's advocate here.  ...But i would be really confused/pissed if i was called out by being pointed at. 
X
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

...but still.  It's the whole concept of eliminating someone by pointing at them.  Might as well be a Wizard.

I understand the concept, i'm just playing devil's advocate here.  ...But i would be really confused/pissed if i was called out by being pointed at. 

Ref:  "You're out buddy."

Me:  "What!  Why?"

Ref:  "You were fingered."

Me:  #%^&*$%^!  This sucks!"

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

. . . a sniper character gets sniper cards, and those are like his ammo. . . ..

How do the cards fire out of the marker? 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edited by Mack - 15 July 2007 at 11:27am
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 11:55am

That has to be really boring though. I mean, its not fun camping either, but lineing up someone in your crosshairs, then firing and getting a goggle hit from 400 feet is a great feeling. Unline saying "Hey ref, that guy in the ghillie is out".

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:26pm

It's a good idea, but the target should have some line of defense.

For instance, say the sniper points at the opposing team's general. The ref would then contact the general and inform him that he has been targeted. The ref would have dice or something that the general and sniper would roll. In order to evade the shot, the general would have to roll higher than the sniper. If he rolls lower, he's out.

Sure, it sounds like like D&D, but it's the best way of making it fair for all of the players.

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
mamasboi View Drop Down
Strike 1, FIlter dodge, 7/23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:39pm
^^^

sin you got a point that dice roll sounds like a nice way to keep it fair for the defence
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:49pm
How about giving the sniper a laser pointer that he needs to hold on the target while he calls the target to the ref, so if when he says "bang" over the radio, if the ref does not see the dot on the target, it is a miss. This has limitations like a need for much reffing and radios(probably with an earpiece even for refs, so your target doesn't hear you calling your shot on him. Snipers should only be able to take one shot per mission and rely on their actual marker for everything else.

Still, the 1337 p8ntbl snip0rz won't like this at all
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:51pm
This is unbelievable.

Next thing you know they will just video the game and you can play sniper from your couch.

You can phone in your sniper shots and the ref will use a 20 sided D&D die to roll whether or not you get your kill.

That sounds like some fun "paintball"
<insert enormous amount of sarcasm here>

Edited by Ken Majors - 15 July 2007 at 1:53pm
RLTW
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 3:41pm

Okay, I can see the naysayers point, but someone's being a little closed-minded! :P

The sniper position has limited use. The character has to get to the HVT without being seen, has a paintball gun for defense or what-have-you, has to call in the shot (of which I'm sure there's more to it than that, such as line of site rules), the player is out, the sniper sneaks out and resumes his normal paintball duties until the general calls in another mission. He can probably do this like 5 times in a scenario, it's not a permanent position.

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:13pm
Just make your self a card and hand it to the Ref write on it "Neo the Chosen ONE" and tell him you dodged that sniper shot. As he's on the radio with MXS slip away.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:14pm

Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

This is unbelievable.

Next thing you know they will just video the game and you can play sniper from your couch.

You can phone in your sniper shots and the ref will use a 20 sided D&D die to roll whether or not you get your kill.

That sounds like some fun "paintball"
<insert enormous amount of sarcasm here>

Seriously.

I play paintball specifically to get away from this "bang-bang, you are dead" crap.

Wipers aside, paintballs provide a nice way of keeping track of hits, and adds a little agony of defeat to the exercise.  Kills by pointing at each other?  Hell no.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:39pm
If a ref came up to me and said I was out and couldn't provide and reason, but that some dude pointed me out and gave him a card, I would laugh and keep playing.

Edited by jerseypaint - 15 July 2007 at 10:39pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:04am

I don't know why everyone is freaking out. It's for a major scenario series, the players are told about the positions. They are fully aware of the position and it's capabilities. It's not like it's all encompassing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic