FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poo on Saturn Dealers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poo on Saturn Dealers
    Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:23pm

So I stopped by a Saturn dealership today to test out a Redline.

Turns out there is a bit of a waitlist for Redlines, but they did have a regular Sky that I could tool around in a bit.  Fair enough.  Apparently they drive about the same, except for the engine.

But here's the issue:  The guy takes me on a test drive that consists ENTIRELY of straight lines.  The only turns had stopsigns attached.  He found me ONE little bitty s-turn, but that was it.  And then he had the audacity to tell me I was speeding.  As if I didn't know that.

So, having now test driven a Sky, I know that it is underpowered and that it is a pretty comfortable ride for a little sports car, but I know absolutely nothing about how it handles or corners.  Totally useless drive.

Seriously - if you are trying to sell sports cars, shouldn't you have a route planned that has some turns involved?

Grr. 

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:24pm
Pschh, sports cars arent for performance, they're for balding guys to drive by where local teens/ young adults hang out with the top down, shades on, as slowly as possible while still looking nonchalant

*edit*
19000 posts

Edited by choopie911 - 10 July 2007 at 11:25pm
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:28pm
Well, its a Saturn?
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:29pm
Why would you go to a Saturn dealership?  
Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:29pm
Saturn dissapointed me with the Ion. It is very unreliable. The Sky looks very nice, I just don't know if I could trust it. I would proabably be best off with a Kia.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Saturn dissapointed me with the Ion. It is very unreliable. The Sky looks very nice, I just don't know if I could trust it. I would proabably be best off with a Kia.

HAHA, Kia.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:57pm
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at LAaaaAWWWW

Great show.

Saturn's are horrible. Don't do it.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Pschh, sports cars arent for performance, they're for balding guys to drive by where local teens/ young adults hang out with the top down, shades on, as slowly as possible while still looking nonchalant

So that's what I've been doing wrong!  Time to trade in the SUV.
Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:07pm
why would you ever get a sky? they look good, but like you said, it's a saturn. for roughly the same price as the sky, why not get a v-8 mustang gt? that would kill a sky in performance, looks, sound, the whole 9 yards.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:32pm
Saturn Sky= Vauxhaul VX220 = Opel Speedster.

Install a turbo for full-effect.

Edited by Styro Folme - 11 July 2007 at 1:32pm
X
636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Dye Playa Dye Playa wrote:

why would you ever get a sky? they look good, but like you said, it's a saturn. for roughly the same price as the sky, why not get a v-8 mustang gt? that would kill a sky in performance, looks, sound, the whole 9 yards.

A mustang will not corner like the sky. Small 2 seater sports cars are fun to drive, probably more fun than a mustang. Plus, how often do you see a saturn sky compared to a mustang?
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:54pm

Might as well pick up a 6 pack of budweiser, a leather nascar jacket and a pack of Marb reds while you're at it. 

white trash here we come!

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:55pm
My wife and I test drove the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice (same car, different body panels) almost exactly a year ago. Definitely underpowered. Cornering was ROCK solid... One of the best handling cars I've ever driven.

Then Pontiac came out with the Solstice GXP and Saturn came out with the Redline. There are some differences from what I understand, but both have apparently resolved the underpowered issue.

BE VERY CAREFUL THOUGH... Ask the dealership about the weight limit on the car's frame. When we test drove them, there was a big yellow sticker on the runner panels that said "WARNING: Passenger and cargo weight not to exceed 360 pounds." Apparently they'd shaved weight off the frame to improve performance and the warranty was void if your frame was bent and they could show that you'd exceeded this posted limit. (At the time, I was 270 and my wife was 115, so that pretty much sealed it.)

Most people ignore these warnings, but the cars haven't been out long enough to determine whether this will get them into trouble.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

Um, to testdrive the Sky?
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:01pm

We were looking at the Sky / Solstice versus a BMW 325i versus a Mustang GT last July for my wife's new car. We had pretty much decided on the Solstice (only because the Sky's were special order only at the time) before we saw the yellow warning label I talk about in my post above. Because of that, and because the BMW was a sedan, we went with the Mustang GT...

So... Why was the Sky / Solstice in the lead at first? Styling has a lot to do with it. They are sexy cars, whereas the Mustang is a little more ordinary. But gas mileage was a big factor also. The GT requires Premium at $3.45 a gallon, 19 MPG. The Solstice can use Regular at $3.10 a gallon, 30 MPG.

Combine those things with the fact that the Solstice / Sky is smaller and definitely handles a little better than the GT and I can completely understand why someone would go that direction.
Real Men Love Cheeses
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by travis75 travis75 wrote:

Um, to testdrive the Sky?

I understand his point though. My mind lumps Saturn in with Hyundai, Kia, (defunct) Geo, and all the other low cost, low quality brands.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:27pm

I also wasn't initially planning on buying a Saturn, and I was a little turned off by the brand.  But I really like the way the Sky looks, and the performance reviews were consistently good (once the engine issue was resolved), so I figured I would give it a go.

Which is why the test drive was so disappointing - I got no chance to feel the handling.  I drove an SL550 a few months ago in the same neighborhood, and that dealer had no problems finding me an interesting drive.

As to the Mustang - not on the list, will never get on the list.  As Sandman guessed, I am looking for that small-car zippy feeling.  I also want a car with decent mileage, and preferably something fairly unusual.  The Mustang fails on all of those counts, image concerns aside.

But while we've got the car crowd interested - any thoughts on the Z4 or SLK?  Do I surrender my penis by sitting in either of those cars?

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:31pm
Hell no. We briefly looked at those cars also. Steph didn't like the body style of the Z4 and the SLK was more than we were looking to spend.

I, on the other hand, would have definitely gone with one of the BMW's... The Z4 was a blast to drive and VERY sexy IMO. Plus you get the "white prop on blue sky" logo that looks very nice in the garage.

The SLK is a little more girly, but I've always viewed it as the poor man's SL... Just says you're not a millionare but you still like the Mercedes roadsters.

:)

Didn't drive the SLK, though, so can't comment on actual performance.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:35pm

That's my feel of the SLK as well...  unnecessarily expensive and a little girly.  The killer on the SLK is that it is almost impossible to get a stick version in the US.

I do like the hardtop, though.  True ragtops still bother me a bit.

The Z4 is looking pretty good, although there are a lot of them on the road.

Haven't driven either one yet, though.  The Sky was the first test drive in this cycle.  We'll see. 

Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:39pm
You know if you were looking at a GT regular would be fine ( didn't read your above post)

although i hate the solstice because of its style i dont mind the look of Saturn although im not real big on Pontiac or  Saturn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic