Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paintball trajectory?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jblaze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paintball trajectory?
    Posted: 06 July 2007 at 12:26am

Now I understand the concept of how a paintball is shot out of a marker....a ball is in the chamber, a burst f air/co2 or whatever it is that you use for your marker.

That being said...why does the paintball lob?  Last I shot a Daisy BB gun...I'm sure I could've hit a target twice as far (minimal lobbing?)than I could with a paintball marker.  So, why doesnt the paintball fly as far and as accurate as a BB gun? 1 the BB's are more consistantly round?  BB's use more force to shoot out? Since paintballs are breakable it could only withstand a certain amount of pressure without breaking from the air bursts?

Ionno, it's late and I was just wondering.  Anyone with thoughts or facts would be help.

thanks

jb

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 12:53am
BB's dont compress or have sloshy stuff on the inside to make them less accurate.

BB's are smaller = less wind resistance per weight.

BB's are shot at a higher fps than paintballs(sometimes).
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 1:25pm
this is def in the wrong forum.

Over a greater distance, the BB will eventually lob off. Based on its mass, the BB leaves the barrel with more inertia than a paintball. You also don't have to worry about a BB breaking in your barrel if you overpower it.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 2:17pm
It is common sense that everything is going to lob. If you take a BB the size of a paintball and shoot it out the barrel at the same velocity as a paintball, it will lob too. Even bullets lob over a distance. There is this amazing thing called gravity that pulls everything down to the earth's surface.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 4:53pm
Well answered everyone
Gunchicken View Drop Down

Guested 7-26

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunchicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 5:39pm

you can shoot a BB twice as fast as you can shoot a paintball, but just like a paintball a BB will curve when shot to fast (over 600fps) because it is very light wieght and is round. Thats why they made pellets. that can be shot over 1,200fps without curving, but all bullets, pellets, BBs, or whatever you want to call them will lob, unless you were in space then it wont lob.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 7:55pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:18pm
well now, if you want to discuss the physics of a paintball in space, then we could have some fun with that.

I mean, there are hundreds of gravitational forces out in space. Many anomalies as well.

Do you think if you fired 2 paintballs at the same speed out of something like a Typhoon, they would eventually orbit each other?
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 2:49pm

Paintball physics quiz!!

Lock down a bb gun and a paintball gun right next to each other.  Both guns pointed in the same direction, both guns exactly horizontal, both guns at the same elevation.  No Flatlines, Hopups, or other funny barrels.  The guns are pointed across a perfectly flat surface.

Now fire both guns simultaneously.  Which will hit the ground first - the paintball or the bb?

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 3:37pm
Theoretically they should both hit the ground at the same time. But because of wind resistance, the paintball will hit the ground first.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 5:11pm

In a vacuum they would hit at the same time, but should not air resistance make the bb hit first...  hmm?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:39pm
The air resistence is so little compared to the BBs weight, that in a regular (no wind at all) day, the BB will travel further. Are the BB and paintball traveling at the same speed?

Gunchicken View Drop Down

Guested 7-26

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunchicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 10:14pm

shot at the same velocity a BB will go farther because of the less wind resistance, i think.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 1:25am

You guys are answering the wrong question.  Clearly the bb will go further - mostly because bb's mostly are shot at higher velocities than paintballs, but also due to less air resistance relative to mass.

But the question is which will hit the ground first, not which will travel further...

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

You guys are answering the wrong question.  Clearly the bb will go further - mostly because bb's mostly are shot at higher velocities than paintballs, but also due to less air resistance relative to mass.

But the question is which will hit the ground first, not which will travel further...

No matter what fps they would hit the ground at the same time assuming no flatline or hop up. Also no spin.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 3:01am

Hit the ground at the same time because the gravity on both of the objects are the same.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 2:22am
Bump to see if I answered Clark's question correctly.

Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:16pm

You did - in a vacuum.  Close enough.

In reality, I suspect the bb hits first, because the paintball faces a lot more air resistance to counter gravity.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
A-5Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 3:09pm
Actually my A-5 with a normal 265fps shooting a paintball from my Lapco bigshot shoots the paintball further than my Grandpa's brandnew Daisy lever action bb gun.  And the bb's are supposed to be traveling at 350fps.  And the paintball hit's the ground after the bb does.
new A-5 user
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:16pm
Most likely due to what Susan described. The factors that are important are gravity (greater mass = greater downward acceleration) and the wind resistance. You basically just take the difference of these two forces for each object since they are pushing in opposite directions and that will tell you which is going to hit first.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic