FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ticks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kuhndog599 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1, Language 5/4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuhndog599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticks
    Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:41pm
I'm working with a survey/engineering crew at work to see if this is what I want to do later in life. Sometimes we have to go through some heavy brush and I've had tons of ticks this year. I use bug spray (that has ticks listed on it) and that's all. Does anyone have tips or anything. I just hate taking those suckers out.
model 98 - homemade handguard
solid stock - opsgear mag
polished internals
homemade sling - paintjob
operator barrel
progressive barrel
opsgear mag - stock
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 10:00pm
Try this stuff

It has the most DEET of any repellent I've seen (98%). Although, I think after 30%, the concentration of DEET doesn't matter too much.

If you have a tick in you, best bet is to use a lighter on the back of the insect, remember not to rip it out or else the head will stay behind. 
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 10:06pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 10:08pm
drink bleach and the tick will die after biting you
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 10:15pm
wear tall boots and tuck your pant legs into them, then just make sure they are tied tight.

If your out in that kind of area in shorts, then you don't have the common sense to be doing the kind of work that you are doing.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 11:03pm
What he ^^^ said.  If you're not wearing boots, rubber band around pants legs and shirt sleeves help.  Wearing light colored clothing makes them easier to spot.
campweed View Drop Down
Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 11:18pm
Well, you could just wear tight boots, then if you really want to wear shorts, then tie a string or something really tightly around the boot and just above the lower hem of the shorts. Then you only have to check your shin area. If you wear T-shirts, then do the same thing and tie some string around the sleeves.

I wish my lawn was mexican so It would maintain itself.
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:25am
DEET works well on skin.

You need to spray something with PERMETHRIN on your clothes. I happen to use a spray made by Repel... about $5 a can from Wally-World.

At my one big scenario game this year, earlier in the month... ticks were plentiful. My friend used DEET alone... and over the course of the weekend, final tick count for him was still 9.
Shorty's tick count = 0.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:14pm
If you get one, I have found that a good way to get them out without risking breaking off the head, is to rub Vaseline on the top of it. The tick won't be able to breathe, and will pull its head out. Then you can flick it off. 

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:57pm
Suck it up.

MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

If you get one, I have found that a good way to get them out without risking breaking off the head, is to rub Vaseline on the top of it. The tick won't be able to breathe, and will pull its head out. Then you can flick it off. 

That works but its more fun to light them on fire. DIE TICK DIE!!!

Join the XP Re-Revolution!
kuhndog599 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1, Language 5/4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuhndog599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 1:48pm

Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Suck it up.

I would but don't want to get any diseases they may carry. Just being precautious.

model 98 - homemade handguard
solid stock - opsgear mag
polished internals
homemade sling - paintjob
operator barrel
progressive barrel
opsgear mag - stock
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:22pm
we have an absolute crapload of ticks this year. I must have had half a dozen myself, despite precautions(you can get them just in the yard on the walk to the car) and the cats have them all the time. The only way to safely remove a tick is to get it with a good pair of tweezers right behind the head and pull it straight out. None of the other methods works for me. The only reason they seem to is if the tick isn't deeply buried in the skin in the first place. They'll pretty much inject you with disease if you irritate them. Do it as quickly as possible without breaking off the head.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

we have an absolute crapload of ticks this year. I must have had half a dozen myself, despite precautions(you can get them just in the yard on the walk to the car) and the cats have them all the time. The only way to safely remove a tick is to get it with a good pair of tweezers right behind the head and pull it straight out. None of the other methods works for me. The only reason they seem to is if the tick isn't deeply buried in the skin in the first place. They'll pretty much inject you with disease if you irritate them. Do it as quickly as possible without breaking off the head.

If you just pull them out the head WILL break off, i have never seen a case where it doesn't. 

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:33pm
Maybe I'm just good at it or have the prefect pair of tweezers, but between myself and the cats, I'd say I have an 80% success rate of getting them out with all mouth-parts intact, and I removed one from my leg this morning in the shower with my fingers in one piece. Go figure.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:36pm
Well you must have some skills man.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 6:41pm
I also just pull the ticks off with my fingers.  I don't believe I have ever had one break.  Maybe I'm just lucky - I don't see a lot of ticks around here.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 7:44pm
Luckily for me, I'm extremely hairy, so whenever a tick lands on me, it gets tangled in hair trying to get to the skin.  I've found plenty of ticks on me this year, but not one has dug in.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 8:02pm

Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

Luckily for me, I'm extremely hairy, so whenever a tick lands on me, it gets tangled in hair trying to get to the skin.  I've found plenty of ticks on me this year, but not one has dug in.

Thats just nasty. Nasty and cool,.... but mostly just nasty.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic