FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 7:39pm

This is quite entertaining, I know I'm keeping Gatyr at the edge of his seat.

Which reminds me to ask, would you refuse to vote for either Obama or Clinton as president solely on the basis of gender and race? I bet there a few of you that would.

Edited by Dune - 18 June 2007 at 7:52pm
karll View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Extra "L" for sale. PM with offer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Which reminds me to ask, would you refuse to vote for either Obama or Clinton as president solely on the basis of gender and race? I bet there a few of you that would.

I don't think that would stop me from voting for them. I can tell you now though, I don't think this nation is anywhere near being ready for a female/black pres/vice duo in office.
PlentifulBalls "It's cool, I'll be dead before I'm not pretty."
Gatyr "Stupid things exist."

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 9:23pm

Like I said, it's all about dada.
battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:18pm
I agree with evillepaintball I believe if your around a certain group of people long enough, ie: the black people in his school, you may become annoyed by their behavior and notice things you that you wouldn’t when your just around that group for a short period of time. I also believe that racism isn’t the only form of discriminate bigotry, someone who constantly makes fun of or criticizes a person because they are religious or non religious is just as bad. In my opinion its kind of a you me leave alone and ill leave you alone issue.
djrox View Drop Down
You dip, we get it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by battlefreak battlefreak wrote:

I agree with evillepaintball I believe if your around a certain group of people long enough, ie: the black people in his school, you may become annoyed by their behavior and notice things you that you wouldn’t when your just around that group for a short period of time. I also believe that racism isn’t the only form of discriminate bigotry, someone who constantly makes fun of or criticizes a person because they are religious or non religious is just as bad. In my opinion its kind of a you me leave alone and ill leave you alone issue.

People can make racist jokes about other groups of people and not actually hate them.

reclusivetorrid View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Look at me, I came out of my hole!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reclusivetorrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:34pm
I see Dune...my favorite liberal law enforcment officer. :)

Listen, about the racism topic I feel the I need to re iterate a simple point.

Racism does exist (and I'm not just talking about against blacks).

Racism is also a product of the environment, minorities are taught that
they are being repressed, and non-minorities are taught (in some cases)
to repress minorities.

I believe that most of the problem stems from the continued promotion
of sereotypical behavior.

Simply put, if you want people to look at you as if you are different act,
dress, and talk differently.

America is supposed to be a melting pot, not a big muddy mess of people
that hate their own country.

Later
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by reclusivetorrid reclusivetorrid wrote:

I see Dune...my favorite liberal law enforcment officer. :)

Listen, about the racism topic I feel the I need to re iterate a simple point.

Racism does exist (and I'm not just talking about against blacks).

Racism is also a product of the environment, minorities are taught that
they are being repressed, and non-minorities are taught (in some cases)
to repress minorities.

I believe that most of the problem stems from the continued promotion
of sereotypical behavior.

Simply put, if you want people to look at you as if you are different act,
dress, and talk differently.

America is supposed to be a melting pot, not a big muddy mess of people
that hate their own country.

Later

I definitely agree with some of that post.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:32pm

At this point, I will say that I would never vote for a woman for president. That could change in the future if some excellent candidate was to come along, but I have so far never met/heard of a single woman who I thought would be qualified/level headed enough to be the POTUS. Seeing as women are so complicated and temperamental, I have a feeling that it would cause problems in the government. Not to mention the fact that we're dealing largely with the Middle East right now, and most of those countries will never respect a woman as a leader.

I wouldn't vote for Obama in the upcoming election because he's done nothing so far (IMO) to prove his worth as a president. Maybe once he gets a few years under his belt, but definately not right now.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:52pm

That's a good point, but it's not like many of our previous Presidents proved worthy of the office either.

I do however, think your basis for not voting for a woman is ridiculous. Although I haven't really seen a woman other than Hillary step into the limelight and try to take charge, it doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere in our Congress. I also believe calling them tempermental is scary. That's a stereotype and fits well in to sexism. I could say that men are more aggressive which tends to get us into wars like the one we are in, but that doesn't make it absolutely true.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:53pm
Meg Whitman for president.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:55pm

It's unfortunate that many people will refuse to vote for Obama on the basis of race and Hilary on gender. Legitimate arguments against their positions is just fine though. However, people tend to use other factors in order to cover up their trend towards streotyping.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Not to mention the fact that we're dealing largely with the Middle East right now, and most of those countries will never respect a woman as a leader.

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, England, Norway, Israel, Germany - some of the many countries with close ties to the Middle East (and for Pakistan/Israel, IN the Middle East) that have had female executives without any apparent loss of credibility.

And, of course, our top interface with the Middle East is Condoleezza Rice.  The Arabs, Turks, Persians, etc have seen a lot more of her than they have of Dick or GW.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Not to mention the fact that we're dealing largely with the Middle East right now, and most of those countries will never respect a woman as a leader.

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, England, Norway, Israel, Germany - some of the many countries with close ties to the Middle East (and for Pakistan/Israel, IN the Middle East) that have had female executives without any apparent loss of credibility.

And, of course, our top interface with the Middle East is Condoleezza Rice.  The Arabs, Turks, Persians, etc have seen a lot more of her than they have of Dick or GW.

I have to stop and do research to post this, do you just have a wiki on standby with the "post reply" option open?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:15pm

I do usually keep wiki handy - but didn't need it for this one.  I do like to keep track of the governing hotties.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:18pm

It's good to have hobbies.

I am astounded at the reaction some people have to voting for Obama, Clinton, or any other candidate that isn't a rich white Christian male. Romney is taking heat from both sides about something that should have nothing to do with politics. I'd hate to see an intelligent Atheist run, there are far more unintelligent people out there that vote.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:32pm

Speaking of ruling hotties - here is France's new Junior Minister for Human Rights:

And I am also not kidding - I would totally vote for Meg Whitman for president.  Maybe even Carly Fiorino.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:33pm

I'm with you on that. You gotta love countries that truly have equal rights and promotion.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 6:04pm
Lets take it even further, would some one not date someone they were attracted to because of race?

karll View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Extra "L" for sale. PM with offer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Lets take it even further, would some one not date someone they were attracted to because of race?

If you aren't going to date some one on the basis of race, I doubt you would be attracted to them in the first place. I have never been attracted to someone of another race and I'm ashamed to say it, but if I were I think it would keep me from going out with them.
PlentifulBalls "It's cool, I'll be dead before I'm not pretty."
Gatyr "Stupid things exist."

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

If I were attracted to them, no.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic