Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98C - R/T, Cyclone Feed, Choppin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StandardPanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StandardPanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98C - R/T, Cyclone Feed, Choppin
    Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:17pm

For some reason i'm chopping and jamming like crazy and its driving me insane.

I bought my Tippmann 98 Custom with Active Response off somone who doesnt play anymore.. it fired flawlessly with no paint in it... when i fired it with paint it started to chop and jam.

I brought it to my local paintball place and they said it was because my stock feeder couldnt feed the balls fast enough for the R/T.. so i got a Cyclone feeder... Much to my dissapointment i'm still chopping and jamming...

Please help

Tippmann 98 Custom
Active Response
Cyclone Feed
14" barrel
20oz CO2
Collapsable Stock
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:52pm
The Cyclone can handle about 15-20 BPS I believe. Your RT might be firing faster then that. Try turning it down a little. Additionally if you have the standard airlines and not the special one for using the RT with a Cyclone it might be working correctly.
98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
StandardPanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StandardPanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 7:45am

what do you mean standard lines?... i have the ones they came with.. the ones with the T piece to split the airflow so it goes to both the Response and Cyclone and they both work. is there some other line i should get?

Tippmann 98 Custom
Active Response
Cyclone Feed
14" barrel
20oz CO2
Collapsable Stock
fynflood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fynflood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 8:27am
I'm getting the same problem, but I don't have an RT. Just with the cyclone on there it chops like crazy...

Considering the cyclone is suppose to stop the chopping, there muct be something we're missing.

techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:44am
Originally posted by StandardPanic StandardPanic wrote:

what do you mean standard lines?... i have the ones they came with.. the ones with the T piece to split the airflow so it goes to both the Response and Cyclone and they both work. is there some other line i should get?

Hey Standard, the lines he speaks of is HEAVY DUTY lines, I have them myself. If you click on my sig, there's a video description of my gun, but towards the end[6:40], there's footage of the very line(s) we're talking about. I got mine for just over $5 on ebaY, but I think they're normally much more.

Originally posted by fynflood fynflood wrote:

I'm getting the same problem, but I don't have an RT. Just with the cyclone on there it chops like crazy...Considering the cyclone is supposed to stop the chopping, there must be something we're missing.

When it chops, is it a full hopper, mid filled or about empty? Now when you say "chop" you're talkin' in the hopper or when the bolt strikes the ball? Hard to TS without knowing exactly how your situation's going down. I'll check back.

Edited by techietaichi - 30 May 2008 at 10:55am
fynflood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fynflood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:08am

Originally posted by fynflood fynflood wrote:

I'm getting the same problem, but I don't have an RT. Just with the cyclone on there it chops like crazy...Considering the cyclone is supposed to stop the chopping, there must be something we're missing.

When it chops, is it a full hopper, mid filled or about empty? Now when you say "chop" you're talkin' in the hopper or when the bolt strikes the ball? Hard to TS without knowing exactly how your situation's going down. I'll check back.

Chops, hopper at any amount of paint. I took the hopper off and but 10 or so balls in there, same thing. Shoot slow, it works fine. Try to get around 10bps, and it's puking paint out the end of the barrel. They're breaking in the chamber, presumably the bolt is 'chopping' the ball in half. There is a real small amount of paint in the cyclone near the chamber, which I assume is just from the ball getting cut in 2.

Thanks for the response ; )

Edited by fynflood - 30 May 2008 at 11:08am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:25am
If the balls are breaking in the chamber and/or barrel, than it isnt necessarily a problem with the Cyclone. If the Cyclone is turning into a blender, than it is the Cyclone.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
fynflood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fynflood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:29am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

If the balls are breaking in the chamber and/or barrel, than it isnt necessarily a problem with the Cyclone. If the Cyclone is turning into a blender, than it is the Cyclone.

Well, that's understandable, but I don't think I broke a ball once with the stock gravity setup. Just misfired, which lead me to upgrade in the first place. So yeah, it didn't happen until I put the cyclone on.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I posted here: http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=175 836&PN=1
techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 9:51am
Hmmmm? It almost sounds like your bolt is cycling too fast thus causing the chop. You did mention that as your BPS increases you start having issues. fynflood, do you have a velocity adjuster on that gun? I'm wondering if the drive spring's tension is set a bit high.

Edited by techietaichi - 31 May 2008 at 9:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic