Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 custom AND speedball, Possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Repent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 custom AND speedball, Possible?
    Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:12am
Greetings all;

My son and I have just recently gotten into paintball.  We've played both woodsball and speedball using our Tippmann 98 customs with RT, cyclone, and a 20oz co2 tank, which I purchased for us when we were thinking we would be woodsballing only. 

During a recent speedball event, geared towards beginning speedballers only(we had never played SB before), we decided to enter and so we used the Tippy's and were able to place 3rd in the event.  That was pretty cool. Got a serious blister on my trigger finger I was trying to fire so fast!!  There were several instances where the Tippy cost me kills due to the BPS rating.  The event sponsor had stated that no RT's were allowed in that event (I didn't know this prior) but that we could use our Tippys, just not on auto.

During the matches, however, the guys we placed against had obvious speedball guns and sounded to me like they were on full auto and were firing much faster than the RT ever could and were really laying some paint downrange.

Is there an upgrade path for the 98c to make it a realistic speedball/woodsball/legal gun or should I look at a different gun for speedball and keep the 98c for woodsball?  I hate the thought of dual investment in guns.

Edited by Repent - 30 May 2007 at 1:12am
John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 5:40am
is your 98 Custom the new one or the old one?

If its the new one, simply fallow these little upgrades and you'll see your little tippmanns fly.

• E-grip
  • Palmer Stabilizer kit
  • Fang Trigger
  • All-American Barrel

e-grp
palmer kit
barrel
fang

I would of also suggest a Centerfeed kit and a new hopper, but since you already have a cyclone, I don't think you'll need to spend another $100 for a hopper system.

it's as simple as that if it's new version. If its old... heh. GOOOOOOD luck, finiding an E-bolt, but... if you do find an E-bolt. GET IT
Repent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Panda Man Panda Man wrote:

is your 98 Custom the new one or the old one?

If its the new one, simply fallow these little upgrades and you'll see your little tippmanns fly.

• E-grip
  • Palmer Stabilizer kit
  • Fang Trigger
  • All-American Barrel

e-grp
palmer kit
barrel
fang

I would of also suggest a Centerfeed kit and a new hopper, but since you already have a cyclone, I don't think you'll need to spend another $100 for a hopper system.

it's as simple as that if it's new version. If its old... heh. GOOOOOOD luck, finiding an E-bolt, but... if you do find an E-bolt. GET IT

I looked at the link for the egrip and it says it's not for the 98 Custom, which is what I have.  I'm guessing mine is the new model, as it was purchased new several weeks ago.

Repent
Jesus answered, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
QcXf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QcXf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:38pm
it says not for the MODEL 98 Custom. If yours says 98 Custom it should work.
daniero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:47pm
Before 98 customs had ACT, the way triggers worked in 98 Customs and Custom Pros were different, but now, if you have a 98 Custom with ACT, their trigger work exactly the same as a Custom Pro trigger.

So the short answer is... e-trigger works for a 98 Custom if it has ACT. If you say your 98 custom is recent, just make sure it has ACT, then you can upgrade your tippy with an e-trigger.
Silver Invert Mini
Yellow 'Cocker
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:57pm

Don't the new 98 customs come with the sticker on the side? If you have ever opened up the gun and looked at the sear you might see this

If you see the above set-up, then you have the older style custom. If you don't see that, you have the newer type and can use an e-grip.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Repent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by daniero daniero wrote:

Before 98 customs had ACT, the way triggers worked in 98 Customs and Custom Pros were different, but now, if you have a 98 Custom with ACT, their trigger work exactly the same as a Custom Pro trigger.

So the short answer is... e-trigger works for a 98 Custom if it has ACT. If you say your 98 custom is recent, just make sure it has ACT, then you can upgrade your tippy with an e-trigger.

Cool because right on the box it said it had A.C.T., Anti-Chop Technology.  I read everything on the box before I even opened it.  Even read all the manuals before I started cocking it, firing, etc.  Drives my son crazy when I read manuals first....
Repent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Don't the new 98 customs come with the sticker on the side? If you have ever opened up the gun and looked at the sear you might see this

If you see the above set-up, then you have the older style custom. If you don't see that, you have the newer type and can use an e-grip.

Well if memory serves the innards of my 98's look like this pic when I put the RT's in.  I do know the box said it had ACT, and I even asked the guy what that meant.  He showed me how you can stick your finger in the action and pull the trigger and the bolt doesn't take your finger off (figuratively speaking).

hmmmmm, must look further when I get home.
Repent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by QcXf QcXf wrote:

it says not for the MODEL 98 Custom. If yours says 98 Custom it should work.

yeah seems like it says "98 Custom" in raised polished metal letters on the side.

When I took the receivers apart to install the RT, I took detailed digital photos of it first so there would be no problems getting it back together again.

R
KillerKid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerKid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

im so confussed i need to find out if mine is a new or old one also and i cant figure it out i traded my older one for my friends and i want a e trigger but i need to find out if it is a new one or a old one also, how do you go about installing it because it looks so different is it all internal

The killer kids
Kingtiger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Now with 100% more Fail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:37pm
yes its internal and if its a new one there will be spaces to put the parts of the e-grip. i used to have one and it wasnt just flat like the one above.
Steam: Kingtiger125
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:40am

I'm fairly sure that the ACT isn't neccassarily the only one that can use the E-trigger. I have a 98C with the newer push sear (not the one Robocop showed above) that is set up with the slots for the E-trigger parts, but is not the ACT model.

The ACT model has a blue dot that says ACT on the grip, and on the left reciever part too I believe. That model may well also be able to use the E-trigger, but I'm not sure.

If you can stick your finger in front of the bolt without a trama center visit following then you absolutely have the ACT model. Why on earth you'd actually test this is beyond me.

Anyhow, I was orignally going to get an RT for my gun, but after a lot of carefull internal debate I have decided to go with an APE board. this way my gun will be legal anywhere. Also as I will be placing a Cyclone on my gun I won't have to also get the conversion kit for it.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:09am

The later model 98C whether with or without ACT will accept the E-Trigger...the same part that fits the Custom Pro.

The difference is that it is NOT like the picture RoboCop posted. The correct set up, for the E, uses a "pusher" spring to the right of the pivot, not the tension spring shown in the picture.

+DreX+ View Drop Down

Strike 1-inappropriate image

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +DreX+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:53pm
Could you possibly provide the Serial Numbers which have the new sear setup, therefore allowing insertion of an E-Bolt?

Note: I have a 98 w/o ACT As well
Insert Fail Here
killerhalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerhalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 6:44pm
the 98 act can take etrigger but i do recommned the the ape bored for it not the was
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

The later model 98C whether with or without ACT will accept the E-Trigger...the same part that fits the Custom Pro.

The difference is that it is NOT like the picture RoboCop posted. The correct set up, for the E, uses a "pusher" spring to the right of the pivot, not the tension spring shown in the picture.

werd.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic