Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bright Move by "Joe Brave"

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 11:02pm
I probably would have done the same thing. Don't make it correct.
Back to Top
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Joined: 02 March 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2224
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:50am
Originally posted by SR_Crewchief SR_Crewchief wrote:

OS,

From one brother to another Thank You. I fully understand what you did and why you did it.

Ken, It never hurts to know a brother is watching your back.

Crewchief out


He knows...we learned the same creed. 20 years or so apart.

RLTW
RLTW
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Clark <st1:country-region w:st=on><st1:place w:st=on>Kent</st1:place></st1:country-region> Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

The whole incident with Joe Brave...it happens because for people like OS...it is hard to turn off the switch from training NCO to "turn the other cheek" guy. Rangers tend to not turn the other cheek so much.

Is this intended to excuse otherwise inappropriate behavior?  As if people should get a pass on common courtesy because they are trained killers?

This has got to be the single funniest line in this entire thread.  It is literally drenched with irony.  I don't think someone's background gives them a pass on common courtesy; but doesn't this apply to "Joe Brave"  (JB) as well? 

IMO OS's actions are more acceptable than JB's because OS was merely responding, as is his right, to an unprovoked verbal attack.  It may be generational, but I personally don't see why anyone should be forced to put up with random disrespect from complete strangers.

Clearly, our chosen training and profession impacts our behavior - that is unavoidable.  Yet we all have to function in the same society, and that requires each of us to suppress certain impulses when dealing with the rest of the world.

Like the impulse not to yell insults out our car window at people we don't know just so our gf will think we're tough?

Military folk are not unique in this respect - the principle applies to all.

While the principal may apply to all, not everyone adheres to the same standards of behavior.  What one choses to, or not to, tolerate from the jerks in the world is a personal choice.

I believe there is a generational difference in interpretation, to some extent, being displayed by the responders to this post.  I also think that this difference does not bode well for future society.

The argument was postulated in this thread that OS was merely engaging in society behavioral modification and was answered with a resounding "who cares/why bother."

This is why we should all care:  Society changes.  It is shaped and reformed on a daily basis by the morality and experiences of its members.  This is not to say that it changes quickly, because it doesn't.  The change is more of a generational shift type of change where major social changes can take decades or more to come about.  Mid 1800's society was very intolerant of crime and social aberration.  Rape and child molestation were capitol offenses, and even harmless differences such as homosexuality could result in death or serious social stigma (consider Oscar Wilde).

The changes that society experiences are not necessarily bad.  In many parts of the world today there is much more acceptance for those that differ from social norms.  (i.e. the acceptance of civil unions and greater compassion for the mentally ill.)  However, there is also more tolerance for behavior that should not be tolerated.  (The fact that a child molester who took advantage of an 11 year old girl can get only 5 years with time off for good behavior or that organizations like NAMBLA* are allowed to exist and further their cause.)

With this in mind, if members of society don't step forward and express their displeasure with those actions that they consider unacceptable, I worry about what will become acceptable behavior in the future.

*Thought about linking to their homepage, decided that was probably strikeworthy.  If you're interested it's easy to find.



Edited by Mack - 31 May 2007 at 10:51am
Back to Top
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested - language.

Joined: 06 October 2003
Location: New Caledonia
Status: Offline
Points: 5140
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:04pm
I can't understand why you didn't just ignore it.

Obviously it's a kid who has no idea what's going on, or respect. I think probably this "episode in his life", as you've called it, will be forgotten and have almost no effect on him--he'll still be a disrespectful brat.

Honestly, the mature thing would have been to get over your pride and let him drive off. You're the adult in the situation, so act like it.

You can come in here and rationalize it all you want, but all you're going to do is lose more of my respect--not that I have much for you at all, after most of the idiotic kid-bashing and unabashedly Republican crap you post on here.

*EDIT* I'm not saying what "Joe Brave" did was right, but you're dumber than even I thought if you think that two wrongs make a right.

Edited by Pariel - 31 May 2007 at 12:06pm
Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:03pm
Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.
Back to Top
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Joined: 25 July 2004
Location: Neutral Zone
Status: Offline
Points: 10605
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.


Welcome to the Tippmann Forum.  Surprised you just figured this out.
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.

It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit.

Deal with it?
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:40pm

So I've chilled out and slept on it, and I think this really focuses the issue:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

if members of society don't step forward and express their displeasure with those actions that they consider unacceptable, I worry about what will become acceptable behavior in the future.

My thoughts:

1.  Nobody is suggesting that one should not engage in "socially corrective behavior" on occasion.  Nobody is suggesting that we, as individuals, should casually ignore socially inappropriate behavior.  This is NOT the issue.

2.  Everybody agrees that Joe Brave's behavior, as described by OS, was socially inappropriate.

3.  What some of us are suggesting is that OS' response to this particular socially inappropriate behavior was both (a) ineffective towards OS' stated purpose, and (b) itself socially inappropriate, and more socially inappropriate than Joe Brave's behavior.

4.  Sometimes ignoring socially inappropriate behavior is the correct response - not out of fear or uncaring, but because some kinds of socially inappropriate behavior (like Joe Brave's) are attempts to instigate a response, and providing the requested response will encourage future repeats.

5.  Drive-by insults are difficult to "correct" because of their very transitory nature, but follow-and-confront almost universally causes more harm than good, as it probably did in this case as well.

Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.

It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit.

Deal with it?
Seems to Me like nobody listens to OS simply because he is a a Republican.
Back to Top
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
<placeholder>

Joined: 05 February 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4347
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 3:06pm

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.

It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit.

Deal with it?
Seems to Me like nobody listens to OS simply because he is a a Republican.

I wouldn't be quick to point out "poor OS." There are just as many forumers backing him up right now.

Back to Top
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested - language.

Joined: 06 October 2003
Location: New Caledonia
Status: Offline
Points: 5140
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.
It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit. Deal with it?
Seems to Me like nobody listens to OS simply because he is a a Republican.


Being a Republican was the last thing on my list...certainly a negative, but not the major factor.

Not disagreeing though--I know lots of Republicans, and I agree with very few of them.
Back to Top
shiftykyle101 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 June 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiftykyle101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:01pm

Many young men tend to yell out the windows of their cars because they know they do not have to face any consequences of what they said. They wouldnt dare say it to your face, they are just cowards. Its best to ignore them.

Back to Top
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Joined: 11 March 2004
Location: Turkey
Status: Offline
Points: 8102
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:15pm
This thread gave me a headache.
Back to Top
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Joined: 31 October 2002
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Offline
Points: 10715
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:26pm
This thread is a personal philosophy pissing contest.

MY WAY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!




I love it.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.
It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit. Deal with it?
Seems to Me like nobody listens to OS simply because he is a a Republican.

And the republicans are willing to listen to people like the Smitty's and Ryan, right?
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

This thread is a personal philosophy pissing contest.

MY WAY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!




I love it.


NO!  Mine's better!  (Stomps feet, juts out chin, and puts fists on hips.)
Back to Top
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 1:18am

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Ironic you guys all give OS a hardtime for posting his Republican opinions, yet its so wrong when we disagree with you.
It's called disagreeing...and it happens quite a bit. Deal with it?
Seems to Me like nobody listens to OS simply because he is a a Republican.

And the republicans are willing to listen to people like the Smitty's and Ryan, right?
Some are. I'm Republican and I'm more than happy to read what Ryan says.

Edit: Especially Ryan, I enjoy reading his posts. They are extremely interesting.



Edited by Da Hui - 01 June 2007 at 10:42am
Back to Top
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Joined: 31 October 2002
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Offline
Points: 10715
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

This thread is a personal philosophy pissing contest.

MY WAY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!




I love it.


NO!  Mine's better!  (Stomps feet, juts out chin, and puts fists on hips.)



I believe Mack just called the people in this thread women.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 11:24am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

This thread is a personal philosophy pissing contest.

MY WAY IS BETTER THAN YOURS!




I love it.


NO!  Mine's better!  (Stomps feet, juts out chin, and puts fists on hips.)



I believe Mack just called the people in this thread women.


Actually, I was envisioning a child when I wrote that, but your way works too.  (Plus, I can show this to the missus later just to annoy her.)
Back to Top
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Joined: 26 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11662
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 10:58pm
I got yelled at for being in the military. A woman called me a baby killer. I looked at her and said "Ma'am, you have no idea what i do for the military, for all you know i could be a cook" I proceeded to tell her how i just got back from Kuwait.. She went off completely! She yelled at me for trapesing through Kuwait with an M16.. I told her a wore civilian clothes and carried a pistol the entire time i was there. She wouldnt listen to what i had to say, all she could call me was a no good baby killer.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.