Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Open Letter to Subway Sandwich Artists

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

ya you clark kent, what makes you so much better then everyone that works in fast food that makes you think there slave to you?

Why do you believe that I think I am "better"?  Perhaps you skipped this part of my post:

Originally posted by I I wrote:

2.  When I ask you to do something over or do it different, it is not a personal attack on you.

I'm not thinking anybody is better or worse than anybody else.  I just want my sandwich right.  It's simple, really.

And if you can't do the job right, get a different job.  That's also simple.  Part of the job at Subway to make the sandwich the way the customer wants.  Do it or leave.

Nor do I feel sorry for people working at night or at busy times.  That's the job - deal with it.

(And, BTW, the incident that prompted this thread occurred at 10 a.m. on a Sunday, with nobody in the store but me.)

As to my own experiences - I have worked a variety of jobs over the years, including sandwich making.



Edited by Clark Kent - 20 May 2007 at 2:03pm
Back to Top
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
PHAT and PLAT

Joined: 10 July 2002
Location: Dean's List
Status: Offline
Points: 4884
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:03pm
A Subway sandwich chef isn't any better than anyone else.  There will be critics no matter what you do.  The thing to do here is to learn from other's mistakes (i.e Clark's shared experience).
Back to Top
prolitesniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 2 - Language 5/20

Joined: 31 January 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1957
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:07pm
i already have another job, and go to college, so where is that you work that i can come and be the biggest pain an you have to do everything i say or else? im not afraid of my boss yelling at me, i had 5 complaints and am still there, so go ahead go to subway and call them dumb and slow, then go to mcdees an see what worthless people work there.

prolitesniper will return when im not so angry at the ignorant an erigant people of the world, so why not stop being so smug atleast i can get a job unlike the unemployed people in this country that complain cause welfare doesnt pay enough
Tippmann A5
RT
16in J&J Ceramic
14in linear smartparts
New BT Apex Barrel
45ci 3000psi Nitro System
blade trigger
4+1pack
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30745
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:10pm
Man, the subway on the campus I go to sucks. Every single time, they cut the bread open, then with the palm of their hands, they straighten their arms, and like try to keep it open by leaning into it with almost everything they've got, just crushing the bread. They do this to every single person, it's like they don't understand how bread works.
Their communication sucks, so sometimes you get the first bit done, and have to wait 2 minutes for the stupid vegitables girl to stop putzing around doing her own thing.
My friend ordered some sort of meat sub, where they microwave the meat, and they tried to put it together without it, so it was just like, lettuce and peppers and onions

We pretty much dont go there anymore, cause directly on the route home for us, theres a quiznos like, 10-15 minutes away.


*edit*

Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

im not afraid of my boss yelling at me, i had 5 complaints and am still there


You're bragging that you suck at your job and people don't like you?

Edited by choopie911 - 20 May 2007 at 2:11pm
Back to Top
prolitesniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 2 - Language 5/20

Joined: 31 January 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1957
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

ya you clark kent, what makes you so much better then everyone that works in fast food that makes you think there slave to you?


Why do you believe that I think I am "better"?  Perhaps you skipped this part of my post:


Originally posted by I I wrote:


2.  When I ask you to do something over or do it different, it is not a personal attack on you.



I'm not thinking anybody is better or worse than anybody else.  I just want my sandwich right.  It's simple, really.


And if you can't do the job right, get a different job.  That's also simple.  Part of the job at Subway to make the sandwich the way the customer wants.  Do it or leave.


Nor do I feel sorry for people working at night or at busy times.  That's the job - deal with it.


(And, BTW, the incident that prompted this thread occurred at 10 a.m. on a Sunday, with nobody in the store but me.)


As to my own experiences - I have worked a variety of jobs over the years, including sandwich making.

2color=redcolor=lime green


does it say bk on the menu? the frase is eat fresh not have it your way
Tippmann A5
RT
16in J&J Ceramic
14in linear smartparts
New BT Apex Barrel
45ci 3000psi Nitro System
blade trigger
4+1pack
Back to Top
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Pull My Finger

Joined: 09 May 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1348
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:12pm
Your going to get far with your customer service skills in life.

Your working in a service industry, therefore your expected to provide services to the customers. One of those services is to make them happy by giving them what they want.


Edited by God - 20 May 2007 at 2:14pm
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30745
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:


does it say bk on the menu? the frase is eat fresh not have it your way


It's phrase and you're an idiot. Straight from subway's site:

"The customer can alter this formula by choosing different vegetables, condiments and breads."

If you seriously think the customer is supposed to just choose a type of sub, and they have no say in whats on it....wow....even mcdonalds lets you change that. Hell, I've never been to a restaurant that doesn't let you change things.
Back to Top
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Unit

Joined: 24 November 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4240
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:15pm
Forget you, Clark. Forget you.

Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30745
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:


Your going to get far with your customer service skills in life.Your working in a service industry, therefore your expected to provide services to the customers. One of those services is to make them happy by giving them what they want.


Are we discussing fast food, or prostitution?
Back to Top
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Pull My Finger

Joined: 09 May 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1348
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:19pm
Is there a really a big difference between the two?
Back to Top
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Joined: 11 March 2004
Location: Turkey
Status: Offline
Points: 8102
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:19pm
THINK UR BETTER THAN ME?
Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:23pm
I just refused to make stuff over when I worked on fast food.

Many times people asked me to remake something. I just said no, and asked them to leave.


Half the fun of working a high-school fast food job is the fact that you have the ability to be a total jerk to people on the clock, with almost no punishment whatsoever.

I would have never stayed at McDonald's for two years if I actually had to be nice to to customers or do what they wanted.



Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

so go ahead go to subway and call them dumb and slow

Are you actually reading my posts?

I haven't called anybody dumb or slow - although you are tempting me - but instead have specifically pointed out that I am NOT being insulting when I want more lettuce on my sub.

Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:


Your working in a service industry, therefore your expected to provide services to the customers. One of those services is to make them happy by giving them what they want.


See, thats the thing.

Most "service industry" workers in fast food are people in high-school, or those hopping to a better job soon.

It is a temporary job at best. Somebody may have the best people-skills on the face of the earth, and will use them later in life, but at a high-school fast food job where they are usually overworked and underpaid, it gets extremely hard to care.

Is it right? No.

It does happen, however.

Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:


Most "service industry" workers in fast food are people in high-school, or those hopping to a better job soon.

Good observation - not a lot of lifers at Subway.

Back to Top
prolitesniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Strike 2 - Language 5/20

Joined: 31 January 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1957
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:39pm
how about this you go to subway sometime, when they are busy and now are you paying attention? be polite, and treat them like humans. ask them questions be friendly, i have actually saved people about 5 dollars because instead of just ringing them up i make them offers on saving money and getting a better value. and the reason the bread gets smashed down is the knives wont cut them because there dull. when they do it the right way do you comment them on a job well done? or just leave? if you leave then why would they try hard to make sure your happy if they feel like they are treated like durt?
instead of being impatiant and them asking what you want and you dont know yet, ask what there favorite is then if it sounds good try it.
GOD you obviously never worked there, or for very long if you think that the customer is always right, also do they charge you extra for putting extra on? if not then why complain
Tippmann A5
RT
16in J&J Ceramic
14in linear smartparts
New BT Apex Barrel
45ci 3000psi Nitro System
blade trigger
4+1pack
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30745
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

how about this you go to subway sometime, when they are busy and now are you paying attention? be polite, and treat them like humans. ask them questions be friendly, i have actually saved people about 5 dollars because instead of just ringing them up i make them offers on saving money and getting a better value. and the reason the bread gets smashed down is the knives wont cut them because there dull. when they do it the right way do you comment them on a job well done? or just leave? if you leave then why would they try hard to make sure your happy if they feel like they are treated like durt?
instead of being impatiant and them asking what you want and you dont know yet, ask what there favorite is then if it sounds good try it.
GOD you obviously never worked there, or for very long if you think that the customer is always right, also do they charge you extra for putting extra on? if not then why complain


Considering you say you're in college, you really need to get a spell checker or something, cause you misspell the oddest words.

Watch Reservoir Dogs, the whole opening scene covers this.

You are hired, and paid to make a sandwich to the customers specifications.
If you do this job, why do you get an extra pat on the back? If you help the customer out, give them a way to save money, or make the sub better, etc, just put in the extra effort, sure, why not get a little extra praise? But if you half-ass it because "I don't need money, I'm in highschool, suck it!" etc, then heck yeah it's your fault. It's not the customer thinking they're better than you, its you thinking you're too good to do the job you're paid to do, and instead of taking 4 extra seconds to do it right, you slack and do it wrong, then complain/ blame the customer when they arent happy.

For the record, I always say thanks when I order, pay, get food, whatever. It doesnt matter if its at A&W or The Keg, I still say thanks.
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by prolitesniper prolitesniper wrote:

how about this you go to subway sometime, when they are busy and now are you paying attention? be polite, and treat them like humans. ask them questions be friendly, i have actually saved people about 5 dollars because instead of just ringing them up i make them offers on saving money and getting a better value. and the reason the bread gets smashed down is the knives wont cut them because there dull. when they do it the right way do you comment them on a job well done? or just leave? if you leave then why would they try hard to make sure your happy if they feel like they are treated like durt?
instead of being impatiant and them asking what you want and you dont know yet, ask what there favorite is then if it sounds good try it.
GOD you obviously never worked there, or for very long if you think that the customer is always right, also do they charge you extra for putting extra on? if not then why complain

Who are you talking to?

Your posts bear no particular relationship to what anybody else is saying about Subway.  I mean, if you want to randomly rant about your job that's fine, but what has that got to do about us?

But here's the thing, ultimately:  You are getting paid to do a job.  If you do the job with a bad attitude (like yours) then you will eventually get fired.  If you are unable to take actual pride in your work, at least shoot for self-preservation.

Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:


Most "service industry" workers in fast food are people in high-school, or those hopping to a better job soon.

Good observation - not a lot of lifers at Subway.



Not a lot of lifers at most fast food jobs. Hell, not even a lot of 6-monthers. Thats why it is so hard to care about job performance. It takes no qualifications to work at a place like Subway. You get fired? Hop to one of the other unlimited no-qualification-needed jobs.

Not to mention, no real room for promotion based on performance. If you make the crap out of sandwiches, do an amazing job, become the model employee, you are still getting the same pay as the person who sits on the counter and huffs when he has to do something.

Very few fast food places offer raises on the basis of performance. Raises are almost always hour based. If you only work 20 hours a week, but you do an amazing job, you are still going to get less that someone who works 80 hours a week but yells at customers.

The only real place to be promoted to is shift manager, which frankly, at least in my own experience, nobody wants. If you are in high-school you cannot take the position.


When you know you have unlimited opportunities and no room for promotion or motivation of pay-rise, it becomes quite hard to really care.


Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 20 May 2007 at 3:00pm

Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

If you do the job with a bad attitude (like yours) then you will eventually get fired.



Ah, but here is the quandary of fast food.

Your statement tends to be true in almost every other job field, but in fast food it is rarely the case.

Keeping your job is about showing up, not how you treat the customers. All fast food stores care about is getting people the food. They rarely care about quality. It is all about quantity.

As long as you show up to work consistently and on time, you are golden. You can be an ass to the customer, and come into work with a terrible attitude, and be fine, as long as you actually are showing up to work.

It stems from the fact that the mangers, those who are supposed to be doing the firing for attitude, are simply the same ones with the bad attitudes themselves, who simply got promoted because they showed up all the time.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.250 seconds.